A question for any Fence Erector's out there, or anyone that knows the answer.....

Found 23rd Mar 2015
A question for any Fence Erector's out there, or anyone that knows the answer, when paying to have fencing put up to left side of my house in garden, i know its my responsibility, but i got someone to come and price the job up for me, and i mentioned to him that 20 years ago when i had original fence put up, i was told i had to give the neighbours the best looking side of the fence facing them, but the guy told me i can have the nice looking fence side my side, is this correct ? thx
Community Updates
AskFence
16 Comments
Was always under the impression that the posts were on your side and flat side to the outside
if you have the 'nice side' facing you, effectively you are reducing the size of your garden (because the posts will still need to be placed on your side of the boundary). If you don't care about that, then have the 'nice' side.
Doing the nice side to the neighbors is the neighborly thing to do, but as Mermoo said if you're not that way inclined and you do not mind loosing six inches of your're garden then go ahead, nothing in law to stop you.
Do alternating sides.
put many many fences up. I always tell customers if you are paying you get the pretty side. If other party want to pay 50 % then yes it may be polite to give them the pretty side.
Also it is possible to erect a post and rail feather board fence with the posts pretty much in the middle. With rails on your side. meaning you only loose 2 inches of your land.
Your fence, you have the posts. End of.
The Law is: you can have the nice side showing. For a security point of view, if you have the rail side your side, other can't climb over so easy.
You usually have the posts etc your side
Our neighbour didnt want go pay towards the fence so they got the crap side
I paid for it and want the nice view
I've put up fences with the rail running between the posts (rather than one side of the fences or other) using good brackets and the right thickness of rail, allows option of double sided fence. less space lost.
The law assumes that you will fence to the fullest extent of your land which means fair side abutting the boundary facing the neighbour. But it is your choice, there is no law.

As far as responsibility for fencing is concerned, there is none except in very limited circumstances. Title deeds may contain a positive covenant along the lines of 'to erect and forever maintain a fence' along with T marks on the Plan. Such covenants are only enforceable against the original parties to the contract so unless the property is a new build, there is no responsibility to fence.

The general principle is that he who wants a fence pays for it to be erected on their own land.
use concrete posts with the slots in and concrete base panels and slide the wooden panels in that way you and next door don't lose land, also if you are paying you get the good side.
pretty sure there will be no complaints with your neighbour getting a new fence without paying, I know I wouldn't
Thx for all the replys, some great info, i usually give the good side to my neigbour, but the guy who wants to put the fence up says it will be easier for him to give me the nice side anyway, mainly because the fence runs close to 2 sheds and he said it will be hard to put the close board fencing on there side as not enough gap, only a few inches to nail.
Yes that is correct its mainly for a security point on view to stop people climbing over your fence into the garden.
Just seen this on a fence/boundaries website.

Fences, appearance of: Must the smooth side of my neighbour's fence face towards me? My neighbour is in the process of erecting his new fence, and he has started putting it up so that the smooth side faces towards his own house. Is he allowed to do this?

There is no law that says the smooth side of the fence should face the neighbour.

If your neighbour pays for a fence that he erects on his own land (even if he builds the fence so that the outer face of it, as seen from his land, runs along the boundary) then he is entitled to choose the style and colour of the fence, as well as whether he places the smooth side of the fence to face in towards his own house or out to face your house.
Daytrader

Just seen this on a fence/boundaries website.Fences, appearance of: Must … Just seen this on a fence/boundaries website.Fences, appearance of: Must the smooth side of my neighbour's fence face towards me? My neighbour is in the process of erecting his new fence, and he has started putting it up so that the smooth side faces towards his own house. Is he allowed to do this? There is no law that says the smooth side of the fence should face the neighbour. If your neighbour pays for a fence that he erects on his own land (even if he builds the fence so that the outer face of it, as seen from his land, runs along the boundary) then he is entitled to choose the style and colour of the fence, as well as whether he places the smooth side of the fence to face in towards his own house or out to face your house.

common sense really.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants