A question for MECHANICS

Found 10th Jan
I've had brake issues for a month now where one of my calipers would just clamp while driving and not releasing till its cool.

The caliper got replaced with new including bleeding and flushing the whole brake fluid system and refilled on Monday just gone.
Now, since I've got my car back, it feel like its has a new lease of life! It feels faster and more responsive!

New here's my question, would having a faulty brakes system (caliper not clamped) affect engine performance?

Thanks in advance

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
6 Comments

If the caliper was sticking then yes

The caliper isn't going to affect engine performance but if it's binding it will affect car performance.

Original Poster

I'm referring to the system.
I know the engine plays a part in making the brake system function.
So, if the brake system doesn't function 100% then that must affect engine performance right?

dbzitb22 m ago

I'm referring to the system. I know the engine plays a part in making the …I'm referring to the system. I know the engine plays a part in making the brake system function. So, if the brake system doesn't function 100% then that must affect engine performance right?

No, not quite.
The brakes have obviously been binding (a bit like if you drove whilst simultaneously braking with your left foot) thus slowing the car down meaning the engine was having to work harder to obtain your normal driving speed.
Edited by: "Dyslexic_Dog" 10th Jan

Original Poster

Ohhh I get you!
Makes sense
Ta

dbzitb18 h, 33 m ago

I'm referring to the system. I know the engine plays a part in making the …I'm referring to the system. I know the engine plays a part in making the brake system function. So, if the brake system doesn't function 100% then that must affect engine performance right?

Only if a brake switch is at fault.
A calliper binding will mean the engine was having to drag it while there was resistance one side.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions