A question for parents of primary school children or teachers.

27 replies
Found 5th Oct 2010
Do you do "Learning Logs"... as a homework?...
If yes... What do you really think of them?
Any opinions from parents about homework set from their primary school would be appreciated.

I am a teacher... and I disagree with homework, except frequent reading... and maybe an odd " challenge"
What are your thoughts...?

1. Misc
  2. School
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. School
27 Comments

"Learning Logs" is that where they have to identify different kinds of poo?

my friend was chatting about this today her son is 10 and he comes home from school has bath and dinner and then 1 hr of homework (sometimes in a different order)

she said she barely has family time during the week with him

I see homework as a major factor in turning people off school and learning. It is almost never done in an inspiring or imaginative way and ends up being a tedious job that causes conflict and tension between parent and child and in my opinion does nothing to aid learning.

Primary school children should be spending evenings and weekends doing play type activities that relax them and help to recharge their batteries. These activities can easily and usually do contain more learning in much more dynamic and age appropriate ways than working from badly photocopied black and white worksheets.

Plum

I see homework as a major factor in turning people off school and … I see homework as a major factor in turning people off school and learning. It is almost never done in an inspiring or imaginative way and ends up being a tedious job that causes conflict and tension between parent and child and in my opinion does nothing to aid learning.Primary school children should be spending evenings and weekends doing play type activities that relax them and help to recharge their batteries. These activities can easily and usually do contain more learning in much more dynamic and age appropriate ways than working from badly photocopied black and white worksheets.

i agree, sometimes when my friends boy asks for help with his homework she doesnt have a clue and usually sits on google most of the time trying to find out how to work stuff out

Original Poster

OK Plum... I totally agree... Learning logs, however, are a little more creative and certainly not photocopied worksheets. If homework was a "good" idea... then this idea is better than old fashioned homework... but your voice sounds like mine... But some parents almost demand homework.. and whilst as a year 6 teacher I have not set homework for the 4 years I have been in year 6... at no detriment to SAT results I might add... these Learning logs (LL) ( google them) have now been put amongst us... as a school strategy to involve parents in their childrens learning... but I wholeheartedly agree... "Go home and play out...!!!"

Original Poster

ilovepink

my friend was chatting about this today her son is 10 and he comes home … my friend was chatting about this today her son is 10 and he comes home from school has bath and dinner and then 1 hr of homework (sometimes in a different order)she said she barely has family time during the week with him

ILP... I agree with this too... Primary school children... under the age of 11... almost doing a 40 hour week... how ridiculous... and here we are as adults supposedly trying to get a "work/life balance"... teaching children that there is not one.

jonb2412

ILP... I agree with this too... Primary school children... under the age … ILP... I agree with this too... Primary school children... under the age of 11... almost doing a 40 hour week... how ridiculous... and here we are as adults supposedly trying to get a "work/life balance"... teaching children that there is not one.

i dont agree with homework under 11, reading yes but nothing else

children are not 'kids' for long these days let them ave fun and enjoy themselves while they can...its certainly not something i will be forcing my daughter to do when she starts school

Banned

my son has had homework ever since reception, not masses of it, but he is yr 4 now and has homework twice a week, most of it is only maybe half an hour twice a week, so not a massive amount, and then his reading but has always been a free style reader so can read what he likes so again not a big deal

Mine have learning logs. I have 3 children in primary.
I dont believe they should have homework TBH.
2 out of the 3 have global learning difficulties and doing homework is a nightmare and can take over an hour. They all have different homework too.
They do enough school hours IMO
Also i did a course at the school in order to help the kids with work. (Maths is approached in a totally different way, from when i was at school).
But not all parents are capable of helping their kids. It puts pressure on parents who have learning difficulties.

My lad is 5 and on a friday night he gets a maths homework which he has to complete 2 pages, and a wkd book which he has to write what he has done on sat and sunday. He also gets sent home with 2 reading books which have to be returned the following friday....thats his wkd gone...poor thing x

cherishu2

Mine have learning logs. I have 3 children in primary.I dont believe they … Mine have learning logs. I have 3 children in primary.I dont believe they should have homework TBH.2 out of the 3 have global learning difficulties and doing homework is a nightmare and can take over an hour. They all have different homework too.They do enough school hours IMOAlso i did a course at the school in order to help the kids with work. (Maths is approached in a totally different way, from when i was at school).But not all parents are capable of helping their kids. It puts pressure on parents who have learning difficulties.

exactly this is why my friend is upset, apart from not having family time she also has a 7 year old and a 2 year old to help, feed etc

add on top a husband who comes home from work around 6-7pm most nights who then eats his dinner and tbh aint too hot with his spelling (although he does do his best to help her help with homework)

I don't agree with home work, especially as these days most parents are both working. when I get my son home from the childminder we don't have time. I would rather spend that time reading with him or playing games. Also as I work for the NHS my shifts are a pattern over 7 days, therfore I work some weekends too, and I will not let him do his home work in those few hrs we have together.

The homework is a waste of time and teaches my son nothing at all, they are not even challenging. He would rather we do some crafts, read a nice book, science experiments or cook together, he actually learns something then. The only homework I agree with are the spellings he gets weekly.

Banned

Completely disagree with homework at all ages.

Original Poster

OMG... Next question... do you voice your opinions to school... or do you accept because homework is viewed as a necessary evil..? I reiterate... I disagree with homework for the very reasons already expressed in this thread... but I find parents reluctant to express their opinions about this to schools, and the ones that like it.. have no problems saying thank you... the minority I feel..

Original Poster

[quote= The only homework I agree with are the spellings he gets weekly.[/quote]
I disagree with that too.. sorry... "spelling worries" is the reason children become reluctant writers, or develop as safe spellers... we need to promote writing.. spelling will develop the more they write. It won't if they don't write.

Banned

I think the earlier they start a "little" homework the better, so that they dont arrive at big school to find masses of homework. I also have the time to spend with my child to do this, maybe i would look at it differently if i didnt, but then that would be purely down to me not having time, not because i think homework is a bad idea

My child is only now four and has just started school. He has been set homework, two different lots every week. As he has to do full days 9.00 - 3.00pm, when he gets home he is exhausted so the homework has not even been looked at. But he gets reading books home as well which we enjoy together, that's beneficial, and he enjoys them so thats great.

jonb2412

[quote= The only homework I agree with are the spellings he gets weekly.

I disagree with that too.. sorry... "spelling worries" is the reason children become reluctant writers, or develop as safe spellers... we need to promote writing.. spelling will develop the more they write. It won't if they don't write.[/quote]

Hmm not so sure, I am a terrible speller, but my son likes learning his spellings. As I am so bad, I am glad he is learning his.

Never voiced it to the school as always feel like a school kid again at parents evening! Although made it clear in his homework diary which homework think is a waste of time. Also wrote a sarcastic note in his diary about the spellings as the teacher sent home spellings with height spelt as hight!!

My son who is in year 1 gets a different reading book each day and has to read it when he gets home ready to take in the next day and change it. He is fine with this as he loves reading.
My daughter who is in year 4 (last year of primary) gets a book which is a pretty thick book to read each night but she is struggling as the books are so long. She is getting bored but if she doesnt read 5 times a week she doesnt get a sticker - which to an 8 yr old is obviously important lol

Sometimes they will get a note to say they need to learn certain words to spell or timestables but thats it

Original Poster

. Also wrote a sarcastic note in his diary about the spellings as the teacher sent home spellings with height spelt as hight!!

Good for you.. and as teachers we are human... i am 1000% shure is techer culd of spelt it rite.

Original Poster

My son who is in year 1 gets a different reading book each day and has to read it when he gets home ready to take in the next day and change it. He is fine with this as he loves reading.
My daughter who is in year 4 (last year of primary) gets a book which is a pretty thick book to read each night but she is struggling as the books are so long. She is getting bored but if she doesnt read 5 times a week she doesnt get a sticker - which to an 8 yr old is obviously important lol

Sometimes they will get a note to say they need to learn certain words to spell or timestables but thats it

Voice your opinions... reading should be fun... when you listen to your child read... listen for 3/5 minutes... that's longer than you think... then read to them... with them... make it fun... you model the reading experience.. that is important too. And they will like you reading to them... and they will listen to the story.. and they may learn the value of reading... pleasure

Original Poster

]Hmm not so sure, I am a terrible speller, but my son likes learning his spellings. As I am so bad, I am glad he is learning his.Never voiced it to the school as always feel like a school kid again at parents evening! Although made it clear in his homework diary which homework think is a waste of time. Also wrote a sarcastic note in his diary about the spellings as the teacher sent home spellings with height spelt as hight!!

As adults, who can probaly spell ok, we forget how we good/average/poor we were at Primary school... but then we put our present ability on to our primary aged children. Seriously.. spelling is developmental, and the more a person writes the better they will get at it.. a poor speller is caught in a cycle of pressure, and then refuses to to the thing that is good for them.. write. I don't mark spellings for this reason... esp at primary age... Get them writing... no spelling pressures and they use vocab beyond "nice"

Had to do a learning log or 2 for uni - Total and epic waste of time,detailing events and what was "learned" from the outcome. A chore of an exercise.

Homework was always a pain, no one likes it. But in fairness, I appreciate it's purpose. But the difficulty of some homeworks and the lack of guidance given to kids can be ridiculous which is where I draw the line.

*edit* Read some more replies. I recall my mother may have complained at times to the school but that was down to a combination of poor teaching and difficult homeworks (anything is difficult if you have never covered it in class or have not been given notes...)
Edited by: "DragonChris" 5th Oct 2010

DragonChris

Had to do a learning log or 2 for uni - Total and epic waste of … Had to do a learning log or 2 for uni - Total and epic waste of time,detailing events and what was "learned" from the outcome. A chore of an exercise.Homework was always a pain, no one likes it. But in fairness, I appreciate it's purpose. But the difficulty of some homeworks and the lack of guidance given to kids can be ridiculous which is where I draw the line.*edit* Read some more replies. I recall my mother may have complained at times to the school but that was down to a combination of poor teaching and difficult homeworks (anything is difficult if you have never covered it in class or have not been given notes...)

Talking of mothers complaining, i remember this new teacher we had when I was in upper school, he was a idiot and straight away got everybodies back up from his first lesson. I was always good at science until he took over the class. At parents evening he was moaning about my ability to my mother and she said that as it was never a problem until he taught me, maybe he should look at his own teaching ability! I came out of school with a grin on my face after that! I vowed I would do the same for my children, although luckily my son is a bit of a brain box and does well in class but there is still time!

ilovepink

i agree, sometimes when my friends boy asks for help with his homework … i agree, sometimes when my friends boy asks for help with his homework she doesnt have a clue and usually sits on google most of the time trying to find out how to work stuff out

You have just described my week! After work I come home and start doing homework with my son - he is 11 and has tons every night. It takes us about an hour sometimes longer and twice a week he has clubs to go to so we have double homework to do twice a week. Tonight we were at kitchen table for nearly 3 hours.

I never had homework in primary school!

jonb2412

OMG... Next question... do you voice your opinions to school... or do you … OMG... Next question... do you voice your opinions to school... or do you accept because homework is viewed as a necessary evil..? I reiterate... I disagree with homework for the very reasons already expressed in this thread... but I find parents reluctant to express their opinions about this to schools, and the ones that like it.. have no problems saying thank you... the minority I feel..

I have voiced my opinions a good few times about this. They told me if my son didnt do his homework then he would have to be kept in at playtime to catch up - no way I was having that and felt there was no alternative.

Oh i voice my opinion alright.
But they get a treat for doing their homework. So no alternative here either. Or they would be missing out and rest of class get it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Buying Christmas tree after Christmas33
    2. Best place to buy a domain33
    3. Best watches under £500?66
    4. What shoes are these?44

See more discussions