A Question for the technically minded PS3 People.

11 replies
Found 23rd Jan 2011
So today i upgraded my playstation 3 hard drive to a 320gb hard drive.

My question is, i took my 80gb hard drive out of the playstation and want to use it with my pc/mac. I have placed the hard drive in a caddy but can not get it formatted.

the pc recognises the hard drive but does not show it up, partition manager shows it as unallocated but wont let me format it.

Any ideas?

11 Comments

Banned

mybe youve dmged it?

try some software rther thn just using the inbuilt stuff

Download swissknife & partition it with that.

Computer > Manage > Disk Management. How does it show there? Can you format it from there?

Get GParted boot CD / USB - gparted.sourceforge.net/liv…php

Windows won't recognise it as it uses a proprietary file system. A good tool should still be able to detect it though. Is it recognised in the BIOS?

Original Poster

dh058977

Computer Manage Disk Management. How does it show there? Can you format … Computer > Manage > Disk Management. How does it show there? Can you format it from there?

it does not show in there at all

try plugging it straight into the pc, that could narrow the problem down to the caddy
Edited by: "nebno6" 23rd Jan 2011

Why not sell it as a PS3 hard drive and then use the money to get maybe a new one... Just an idea
Edited by: "jonny619447" 24th Jan 2011

Use HP disc format tool, worked a treat for me (I had same problem)

google.com/url…wVQ

sorry for the long link

Are you using 2usb ports to power the drive? try a different caddy. just coz the light is one doesnt mean its got enough power to power the drive. u might need the wire with 2 usb ports on the same end.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769221
    2. NoScript vanished from FireFox48
    3. Any Xbox One news today?2356167
    4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564088

See more discussions