Groups

A question if you damage your car because of a pot hole can you claim from the concil ?

Hi all

I was driving 30mph and i ran over a deep pot hole that has damaged my wheel can i claim from the council or do i just pay for another wheel

16 Comments

deep pothole.....why didnt u drive around it??!

http://www.funnyphotosblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Funny_Photo_13.jpg

only if its been reported more then two weeks before hand

I think council will only pay if you can prove that someone has informed the council about the pot hole previousley and they have failed to do anything about it. If they dont know about it then they cant fix it. (I remember reading this somewhere - I think!!) (_;)

You have to prove that the Council were not aware of the pothole prior to your accident, either by it being reported by someone else or through one of their inspections and then them being negligent in not getting it repaired..... Try potholes.co.uk for some good advice!

You don't have to "prove" anything. If the pothole has been reported then there will be a record of that with the council.

Try searching your local council site for a claims form, there is one on my local councils site. Be aware that there is specific dimensions the pothole has to be before a successful claim can be made.
    Edited by: "peodude" 5th Feb 2011

the council will only pay if it has been negligent in its duties to "reasonably" maintain the highway......most councils will fight every claim

wickedteen

MANJ_007

I think council will only pay if you can prove that someone has informed … I think council will only pay if you can prove that someone has informed the council about the pot hole previousley and they have failed to do anything about it. If they dont know about it then they cant fix it. (I remember reading this somewhere - I think!!) (_;)

you read it in the post above you, lol

wickedteen

MANJ_007

I think council will only pay if you can prove that someone has informed … I think council will only pay if you can prove that someone has informed the council about the pot hole previousley and they have failed to do anything about it. If they dont know about it then they cant fix it. (I remember reading this somewhere - I think!!) (_;)

looooooooooool X)

my front spring has just cracked, because of a pot hole, but the excess is more than the damage, plus my insurance will go up even more next time.

Banned

pwkingdom

the council will only pay if it has been negligent in its duties to … the council will only pay if it has been negligent in its duties to "reasonably" maintain the highway......most councils will fight every claim

the reverse is true. they pay out regularly without going to court as its cheaper. They dont repair a lot of pot holes as it is cheaper to pay compensation than repair!

Councils have a pot of money to pay for pothole damage. they just don't advertise it.

A Pothole itself is evidence of neglect of the road.
    Take pictures of the damage and go and take pictures of the offending pothole insitue from multiple angles to back up your claim

Dont expect a quick payment though!
    Edited by: "Jetpac" 5th Feb 2011

Hi OP, yes you can! My Dad did it. They took AGES and kept claiming it wasn't their fault but the pothole had been there for months and you couldn't not drive over it as it was right in the middle of the road.. eventually they made him meet one of their team "at the site" so they could both look at it!!! He claimed for £800 and got £400. To make it even worse, for at least a month after they coughed up, they still didn't fix the pothole!!

[quotethe reverse is true. they pay out regularly without going to court as its cheaper. They dont repair a lot of pot holes as it is cheaper to pay compensation than repair!
    ][/quote

wrong! i work for a council that fights every claim - there is a legal duty to repair dangerous potholes

Banned

pwkingdom

[quotethe reverse is true. they pay out regularly without going to court … [quotethe reverse is true. they pay out regularly without going to court as its cheaper. They dont repair a lot of pot holes as it is cheaper to pay compensation than repair!][/quotewrong! i work for a council that fights every claim - there is a legal duty to repair dangerous potholes

glasgow city council will pay out,i know i work for them!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?1420
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846154
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?28128
      4. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63218

See more discussions