Groups

A question to all the PC heads out there :-p

Hello all!! First off, HAPPY NEW YEAR! Hope everyone had a cracking cross over into 09!

Righto, just placed an order with Dell (bit of a rush job, there was a 10% off voucher that expires today) and managed to ger the following setup for £557 (incl VAT & delivery). Been a few years since I bought my last desktop so bit out of touch with the market; would you say this is a good deal for the price or would you recommend I cancel it and look alse where?? All help would be much appreciated :-D

Dell Studio 540 Desktop
    Intel Core2 Quad-Core Q8200 Processor (2.33GHz, 4MB cache, 1333MHz FSB)
    4096MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4x1024]
    21.5in S2209W Full HD Widescreen Black UK/Irish (1920 x 1080)
    256MB ATI® Radeon HD 3650 graphics card
    640GB (7200rpm) SATA Hard Drive
    Vista Home Premium SP1
    Integrated 7.1 Channel High Definition Audio
    Integrated Hybrid (Analogue/Digital) TV tuner PCIex1 card and Dell remote control

6 Comments

quad system with 4gb ram and 21 inch hd screen is worth £500 smackers ...... the screen is £250+ easily ......

u didnt get a total bargain but you got a decent system for the price ....... i wish i had £500 to spend :lol:

tesco were selling a quad core q6600 and 2gb ram for £270 for a while so a nice system with a monitor inc

Nice system and value for money. Only thing I dont like about it is the op sys...not a fan of vista at all. But it should work seamlessly on the new system. Good luck with your purchase. I bought my dell system 3 years ago and its never faultered once.

Original Poster

@ faevilangel:
    Yeah, that £500 pretty much blows the budget for anything fun for the coming year! Thing is, I've had my previous PC for about 6 years now, so I'm planning for this to last around that long too!

@ StevenA2000_uk's Avatar:
    Been hearing quite a bit of discontent over Vista!! So I'm more than willing to replace it with XP if it proves a pain in the a**!

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

ahmedxw1;3912900

@ faevilangel:Yeah, that £500 pretty much blows the budget for anything … @ faevilangel:Yeah, that £500 pretty much blows the budget for anything fun for the coming year! Thing is, I've had my previous PC for about 6 years now, so I'm planning for this to last around that long too! @ StevenA2000_uk's Avatar:Been hearing quite a bit of discontent over Vista!! So I'm more than willing to replace it with XP if it proves a pain in the a**!Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

vista will work flawlessly on it ............ it works wonders on my dual core with 3gb of ram ....... just will need to have a mess around with the settings to get it working

it should last at least 4/5 years with a quad core :-D i like to change my systems quite often

Hope your not into gaming because that graphics card won't do you any favours

Original Poster

truggyrunner;3913255

Hope your not into gaming because that graphics card won't do you any … Hope your not into gaming because that graphics card won't do you any favours

Not really mate; from time to time I'll have a flutter at a game for a while, but wouldn't say I'm a gamer. Last thing I played was Medieval II, which -like most game that grab my attention- isn't massively demanding graphics wise. It's really the processor I wanna make sure I get right, cause its much easier to replace the graphics card if need be!

Actually, on that note, would you say its worth forking out and extra £90 to upgrade from the q8200 processor to a q9200??
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Multi fuel stove deals11
      2. Memory foam mattress topper56
      3. Are the free antivirus any good?78
      4. LG G4 Replacement44

See more discussions