A quick look at GOG Galaxy 2.0 - All your digital games in one place

Posted 10th Oct
After what feels like months of waiting, I finally found my invitation to the GOG Galaxy 2.0 client sitting waiting for me in my email inbox. For those unaware of what I'm talking about, the GOG Galaxy 2.0 client aims, or maybe that should be claims, to bring all your digital games content into this one place.

So what is GOG Galaxy?

In 2014 CD Projekt Red announced their 'Steam-like client', GOG Galaxy, a Windows and Mac digital storefront, download client and messaging communication software allowing us to purchase and play games from their website, GOG.com. To many it seemed like 'yet another games client', but we should note that GOG Galaxy has always been an optional catalogue comfort, it's not required to play any of the DRM free games purchased from GOG.com.

In May of this year (2019) GOG announced GOG Galaxy 2.0, a unified launcher that will not only house your GOG.com games but also games from other services including Steam, The Epic Games Store (I know - Booo), Origin, uPlay, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

I've been really excited to get my hands on GOG Galaxy 2.0. The geek in me has been itching with eagerness to see if GOG could pull off the unthinkable and bring all our digital titles into one convenient space. It seems they have, and this is how simple it all really is.

Upon launching GOG Galaxy 2.0, I was obviously asked to log in using my GOG.com username and password. Once past the gatekeeper and onto the games library screen I see that all my GOG.com PC and Mac purchases are all laid out waiting for me.

3307033.jpg
There's a filter at the top of the screen to allow you to easily swap between PC and Mac titles, game genre, installed status, and client status.

3307033.jpg
At the top left of the screen (to the right of the profile picture) you will find a settings cog. Selecting 'Add games & friends' and then 'connect platforms' will open up the magic, from here you can choose to add various other gaming platforms which include Epic Games Store, Origin, PlayStation Network, Steam, uPlay and Xbox One.

3307033.jpg
You're obviously going to need to connect your external gaming platforms to the GOG Galaxy client, which is a simple process of logging in to the desired account. For the benefit of this 'quick look' I logged into my Microsoft Xbox account.

Note: You may notice in the screenshot above that some games appear to have duplicates, in this case Battlefield 1. GOG Galaxy 2.0 brings all your content in from other platforms, which sadly also seems to include betas and demos. The good news is that these can be removed from view with a simple 'edit' - 'hide from my games list'

3307033.jpg
Each game imported from external sources also brings with it a rather cool activity feed. The individual page listings for each of your games includes updates on achievements (trophies) earned, time played, a description for the game, relevant YouTube videos and critic scores.

3307033.jpg
For games that you own on more than one platform (in my case Cuphead) you will notice that the activity feed is shared to include data for both clients (Xbox and Steam)...53 hours played

3307033.jpg

So what do I think?

I'll be straight with you, I haven't really had much time to mess around with GOG Galaxy 2.0, or at least as much time as I'd have liked to. From what I've seen, and where I've navigated to - GOG Galaxy 2.0 is clean, it's informative and I believe it will bring a new kind of gaming catalogue to the table.

For years we've all been apprehensive of other game launchers on PC, we've simply shaken our heads and demanded "NO Steam, no purchase". Hopefully the release of GOG Galaxy 2.0 can change that and we can start to purchase deals available everywhere, regardless of game client, because we know now that something new is coming, a place where we can catalogue all our scattered titles and place them into one tidy, organised and easy to access programme.

If you haven't already, you can sign up for the GOG Galaxy 2.0 Beta client [HERE]
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

11 Comments
Didn't know about this, thanks for the heads up. Looks like it could be decent.
Wow, first steps to a properly unified gaming experience. Didn't think that would ever happen. Thank you for letting me know about this!
Seems cool mate. This is the download page: gogalaxy.com/en/…oad

No invitation is needed as the link is live at the moment.

(or direct link webinstallers.gog.com/dow…exe )

Scrap all that, once you login it will detect if you are invited or not.
Edited by: "mixmixi" 10th Oct
mixmixi10/10/2019 09:10

Seems cool mate. This is the download page: …Seems cool mate. This is the download page: https://www.gogalaxy.com/en/downloadNo invitation is needed as the link is live at the moment.(or direct link https://webinstallers.gog.com/download/GOG_Galaxy_2.0.exe )Scrap all that, once you login it will detect if you are invited or not.

Yeah, that's correct sadly. The intention was to share the download link I was given but the email does state 'You can log into GOG GALAXY 2.0 only using the same email address you've received this invitation for.'
The Lancher for Launchers.

I was dupious at first when it was anniohjced and after using it last night, Its a great step in the right direction.

You can see and i mean all games from all platforms with seeing the games installed too (that was a pain jumping through each one).

You also just resolved my duplication issue I was seeing from Buying Ubisoft games outside of Ubisoft (Steam and Epic) but also are seen in the Ubi lancher too. Shall be upating that tonight!

Be amazing if, say, origin closed when you have finished the game but, thats not a big deal.

I only need gog to load at luanch as I have see games updating too, which is ace.

Friends import from each would be good as I CBA to re-add everyone again haha.

But overall, Im impressed so far!
"we should note that GOG Galaxy has always been an optional catalogue comfort, it's not required to play any of the DRM free games purchased from GOG.com."

I wish they'd make it more optional though, you currently have to jump through hoops to not use it.. You either have to individually download multiple files of the non-galaxy installer or use galaxy to install and then manually create new shortcuts to the games.

Have they at least added the ability for galaxy to create normal shortcuts rather than launch-through-galaxy shortcuts for games bought on gog?
EndlessWaves10/10/2019 09:55

Have they at least added the ability for galaxy to create normal shortcuts …Have they at least added the ability for galaxy to create normal shortcuts rather than launch-through-galaxy shortcuts for games bought on gog?

I didn't look that far into it mate, give me a bit of time and I'll have a check for you
Thanks
Bought an Age of empires III gold from Microsoft (long ago) It shows on my microsoft account but it does not let me download it!
EndlessWaves10/10/2019 10:04

Thanks

I've just had a look, and I can't even seem to find a way to create shortcuts for your games. The chances are it's something obvious I'm missing, but I can't see nothing.
I have been using the Beta too, seems like a decent launcher, especially when your games are all over the place.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants