Groups

A quick question for the PC builders community...

I am in the process of picking components and I've realised I may be picking a PSU that's incompatible with the graphics card I've chosen (GTX 460). It requires two 6 pin power connectors (http://wccftech.com/images/news/Gigabyte-GTX460-Detailed/29b.jpg) and the PSU I've chosen says:

# 6+2 Pin PCIe Connectors: 1

This PSU was £27.99 and looking at ebuyer, the cheapest PSU with two connectors was £59.93. I looked at the product page and it said it was compatible with dual graphics PCs. This would mean it would come with 4 cables though it says "6+2 PIn PCI-e*2"

I am starting to think that all graphics cards require two PCIe cables, so PSUs all have two cables and 1 X (6+2 Pin PCIe) actually means one set of two cables.

So is this right? Can I buy this PSU without worrying that it will only come with one cable...

3 Comments

some modern gfx cards use an 8 pin connector, hence the 6+2, wouldn't worry about only 1 as most gfx cards come with an molex to pci-e connector, i would worry that you are obviously buying a cheapie psu with such agfx card, think again, go for a quality 500+ instead of a budget 650watt

£30 seems awfully cheap for a PSU.

Original Poster

Thanks for the help guys. I know the advice is always go for a good PSU, but the price difference is so high and the one I've picked ( play.com/PC/…tml ) seems to get very good reviews.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do I do if item is damaged I bought on eBay.811
      2. U8, U80, U80 Plus Smartwatches?66
      3. Customs charged too much for a little item!33
      4. Battery drain on iOS 111320

See more discussions