A sad farewell to Jake but also a warm welcome to the new boy

28 replies
Found 29th Oct 2009
I've mentioned Jake a few times on the forum, particularly in the photo thread - unfortunately after slipping downhill over the latter part of last week we were given the news that we'd been dreading for a long time, his kidneys had failed entirely and we had to think about letting him go. He was given some injections to try and make him comfortable so he could see his own vet and she could make the final call on him but by Sunday morning he was really bad and it wasn't fair to hold on to him any longer. He wasn't going to slip away quietly in his sleep as the massive amount of toxins in his bloodstream would leave him in constant pain before it affected his brain and leaving him in violent fits which we didn't want him to go through. We chose to bury rather than cremate him, he's now resting peacefully in his favourite spot in the garden.

It's been very hard losing him even though we've known it was coming, we met his own vet on Monday anyway as she's been superb with him and she thought medically he was amazing - his blood results had been very poor last month and he simply should have been very sick at that point but somehow he was still managing fine and quite content, not in pain at all.

I'm trying to look on the positive side of it all, Jake brought me many happy years - as with any dog he was a fantasic companion and could make any bad situation better. He never let anything drag him down and always fought through whatever life threw at him all the way through to the end. He's the entire reason I'm into photography at all, I missed him while at university so I invested in a 1MP Fuji Finepix 1400z point and shoot to have some pictures of him with me on my PC. I enjoyed using it for both him and everything else, gradually over the years I've gone through various cameras to a fairly extensive SLR setup. Needless to say I've ended up with many pictures of him over the years which I'm glad to have, a range of them are here:

johnmcl7.smugmug.com/Jak…Adu

On a more positive note we've decided to get another puppy to fill the gap Jake has left, uncreatively he's another blue roan working spaniel. I went to visit him yesterday and took some pictures of him:

johnmcl7.smugmug.com/Ani…VmV

Still trying to work on a name, he's ready to be picked up a week on Saturday so hoping to have made some progress by then!

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
28 Comments

mod

So sorry to hear about Jake
It's heartbreaking to lose a pet.
Good luck with the puppy (and the carpets / sofa / wallpaper etc)
And so the fun begins again

wow............sorry for your loss man, genuinely

What a beautiful looking dog Jake was...sad to hear your news but in a short while you will look back with only good memories of all the times you had. I can tell by the photos he had the best life a dog could have.

Number 8 is a nice pic

Sorry to hear this though :-(

mod

Was he a Springer Johnmcl7?
We had a Springer and he was the daftest/softest/loyalist/friendliest dog
If I ever get a dog again it will be a Springer as they are just, well, the dogs

Sorry to hear that,but all good things come to an end I guess. Wish you well with the new pup, your going to need it!

Original Poster

andywedge;6721046

Was he a Springer Johnmcl7?We had a Springer and he was the … Was he a Springer Johnmcl7?We had a Springer and he was the daftest/softest/loyalist/friendliest dogIf I ever get a dog again it will be a Springer as they are just, well, the dogs

Not quite, he was was a working strain cocker (rather than showdog) which is actually very close to a springer -just a little smaller, I don't think the Springers come in the roan colours. Like Springers, the working cockers are bred for their health and they're measured by their ability in the field. Everyone understandably has their favourite breed, it was originally a labrador we had wanted but eventually settled on a spaniel for their smaller size. They are crazy animals and the puppy is going something of a shock to the system and to the house if he's anything like Jake was.

John

Sorry to hear about your dog mate, hope your getting through it well :thumbsup: and good luck with your new pup, they are always terrors at that age lol.

There are some fantastic pictures of Jake there, he looked like he was a real character. How can you not fall in love with a dog that gets his head stuck in a bin lid and sits and waits by a pizza delivery van :-D

Banned

Read the first sentence only....party time your dads off to the nursing home

mod

Johnmcl7;6721064

Not quite, he was was a working strain cocker (rather than showdog) which … Not quite, he was was a working strain cocker (rather than showdog) which is actually very close to a springer -just a little smaller, I don't think the Springers come in the roan colours. Like Springers, the working cockers are bred for their health and they're measured by their ability in the field. Everyone understandably has their favourite breed, it was originally a labrador we had wanted but eventually settled on a spaniel for their smaller size. They are crazy animals and the puppy is going something of a shock to the system and to the house if he's anything like Jake was. John

Cheers

Yeah - new puppy spaniel

Like I said earlier; you'll be looking for new carpets pretty soon. All good fun though

awww the photos are lovely looks like he was an amazing dog, I dont thinK I have seen a spaniel that colour/shade before...he was gorgeous...I remember when I had to have my dog put to sleep, she was 18 when I was 17 so I never knew anything different. Its very hard and I think your 'first pet' has a undescribeable effect on you for life. I wasnt allowed another dog after, but as soon as I move out its my priority, you can never replace what you have lost...but I dont think the upset and grief stops until you have something to reuild the love and trust with. (I had my dog put to sleep 4 years ago and im still sat here crying :cry:)

Good luck with puppy...and dont worry about a name too much, when you get him he may show a characteristic or quirk that forms his name....personally I wouldnt name an animal before I 'know' it...names like that lack creativity and thought

Sorry about your loss... Must feel horrible.. Good luck with the new puppy! and with all the wee and poo haha

hope your new puppy will help fill the gap left by jake - feel for you all

OMG thats so sad

so sorry for your loss xxx

hope your new puppy can bring you just as much joy xxx

So so sorry to hear of your loss, it's devastating to lose a loving family member. Hope everything goes well with your new puppy.

Sloth/Mod

Sorry to hear your news. :-(

Althought the new pup could never replace him i'm sure he'll be a important member of the family in his own right.

Aww your puppy looks just like Jake.

Best wishes to you and your family . I must say Jake was a beauty! Those eyes aww

I hope your new puppy brings lifts your spirits and brings you as much pleasure as jake did.

xx

Banned

I feel your pain matey. I still think of the day I had to take my dog to the vet - 9 years ago - with great sorrow.

Just feel satisfied that you did the right thing with Jake and that he had a long and good life.

"New Boy" doesn't quite sound right, so hurry with a nice new name for him.... and are you getting 2 pups (or was the other one just one of his brothers/sisters)?

I cried after the first photo but was compelled to look at them all, reminded me of my Benjy, I am so very sad for you, time is the only thing that helps X

johnmcl7.smugmug.com/Jak…Adu

johnmcl7.smugmug.com/Ani…VmV

I have such mixed emotions John. What a wonderful eulogy you have given to Jake and you will miss him for ever of course, but your photos of him will recall wonderful memories. I remember seeing the first ones on HUKD - Jake always wet and always feisty!! What a little cracker. You did the right thing; we know when the moment has come and it's right not to prolong. I am crying, of course, thinking of our wonderful old black lab in his final days and seeing the pain in him slip away ( in my arms in the living room) as the anaesthetic took effect and of little Bran, only eight months old who couldn't make adult blood cells. You will probably have seen the odd pic I've put up of Boris our golden retriever, 4 years old now and a joy. We had a break and couldn't get another black lab as one family member couldn't face that. I think it's wonderful that you have a puppy nearly ready. How adorable he is. What a time you'll have over the next two year whilst he's 'learning'!! I bet your bike doesn't get out much.
Re the name - we tried our various name suggestions for a few hours each one, until it was clear that he was 'Boris'. Keep those pics coming and thanks for sharing.:thumbsup:

real sorry to hear about jake mate...the photos you have of him are all sorts of awesome though.best of luck with "new boy" and hope he brings you as mcuh pleasure as jake has:thumbsup:

Banned

Jake looked like he had a full and exciting life.

Good luck with the new puppy :thumbsup:

DLM;6728593

Jake looked like he had a full and exciting life.

Looks like he had a mischevious glint in his eye too :thumbsup:

Johnny - sorry to hear to hear about Jake. Its sounds like you have lots of great memories and photo's to remember him by.....

Original Poster

Thanks for all the kind thoughts, it's such a sad part of having a pet as so many people know but just have to look on the positive side.

We're only taking one blue roan pup (the one with the spot on his flank), while his brother is just as cute Jake was more than a handful on his own so sticking with one again. Still struggling for a name though so keep up with any suggestions.

John

Banned

Johnmcl7;6731502

Thanks for all the kind thoughts, it's such a sad part of having a pet as … Thanks for all the kind thoughts, it's such a sad part of having a pet as so many people know but just have to look on the positive side.We're only taking one blue roan pup (the one with the spot on his flank), while his brother is just as cute Jake was more than a handful on his own so sticking with one again. Still struggling for a name though so keep up with any suggestions.John

Jack a bit like Jake :thumbsup:

What a gorgeous dog!

So sorry you have lost him - the photos are wonderful, though.

Picture 11 is a brilliant picture, i would have that blown up on a canvas and hung in my living room above the fire place... its a stunning picture.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244871
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322826
    3. Misco about to go into administration912
    4. Add one, leave one game54315392

See more discussions