A sandwich bar worker sacked after footage of him stuffing lettuce up his nose appeared on YouTube has been spared a prison sentence.(found on yahoo).

Richard Benjamin Shannon, who was also seen putting salad leaves in his mouth and spitting them out, was arrested last year after a "disgusted" customer recognised the 22-year-old on the internet.

Shannon was arrested after the irate woman went to a branch of Subway in Brownhills, West Midlands, and hurled a chair at him, Walsall Magistrates' Court was told.

The defendant, of Castle Street, Brownhills, pleaded guilty at a previous hearing to a single charge of contaminating or interfering with goods with intent to cause economic loss, alarm or injury.

He claimed the incident, filmed by a friend on a mobile phone early last year, had been a prank and that the lettuce - which went back into a tray used to make customers' sandwiches - had been discarded.

But magistrates' chairman Elizabeth Baugh, who viewed the footage of the offence, said it had caused great anxiety and distress.

She told Shannon: "Despite your previous good character, your actions merit a custodial sentence. However, due to your early guilty plea and the fact you have shown remorse for your actions, we are imposing a community order."

Shannon, who had faced a jail term of up to six months, was also ordered to do 300 hours of unpaid work for the community.

The magistrate said: "Your actions caused great distress, not only to the public who consume this food, but also to the company. I think you have learnt a very, very serious lesson. You have been extremely lucky - you have caused a lot of harm and distress to a lot of people."

Defence solicitor Sheila Hicklin suggested the offence, prosecuted under miscellaneous provisions in the Public Order Act, was a sign of her client's immaturity and said the prosecution and surrounding media interest had a profound effect on Shannon, who is now unemployed.

uk.news.yahoo.com/21/…tml

12 Comments

you

cos he wanted to do it

Original Poster

vengod;4615403

you

ha! If we knew half of what happens with our food we wouldn't eat it.
I just looked on youtube to see the clip but not found anything apart from two American kids
at a subway karate chopping the lettuces.

No wonder the prisons are full, if stuff like this usually gets a jail sentence :roll:

When I was about 16 I worked at a fruit packing place, I cut my finger and didn't notice until I saw my blood dripping all over some grapes.

I of coarse informed the gaffer who supplied me with a plaster etc but they didn't remove the grapes and I don't know how long I was bleeding for.

It was the final package stage as well, Next step was into back of Sainsburys delivery lorry.

I strongly advise anyone who buys fruit and veg to always wash it before they eat it.

Luckily I haven't got anything.

skusey;4615423

cos he wanted to do it

Dear lord.

skusey;4615423

cos he wanted to do it

http://www.non-refundable.com/yh/sisko_facepalm.gif

skusey;4615423

cos he wanted to do it

someone needs to stick a rocket up your backside

dxx;4616487

Dear lord.

grex9101;4616492

peodude;4616925

sounds nice:whistling:

peodude;4616925

Very good BTW:thumbsup:

I worked with a girl when I used to waitress who, one time stuck the waffer tube things used in icecream up her nose, parraded around the kitchen then stuck em in a dessert and took it out to a customer - I was horrified:shock:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763879
    2. (heads up) Mini SNES price finally dropped on Amazon pre orders56
    3. What an absolute disgrace2147
    4. Xbox One X pre order £449.99 @ Game (out 9th Nov)2446

See more discussions