A Shade Greener Leased Panels

Posted 5th Mar 2019
Hi,

Looking to purchase a property with leased panels on the roof through the company A Shade Greener, although there is stuff online there is nothing recent in relation to issues etc...

My main concern is the contact number they have on their website I have tried to ring on approximately 25 times in the past two days and every time it’s come back with ‘unfortunately all our operators are busy at the moment’ and no one has got back to my voicemail/email..

Obviously raises a concern from my side as I can’t even get in touch god knows how it’s gunna go after we complete. So wanted to ask the hukd community if anyone has had any interactions with this company?

All input is appreciated
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
fearona4 m ago

Should be enough feedback …Should be enough feedback herehttps://www.aspokesmansaid.com/other/company-8585/a-shade-greener/1And herehttps://uk.trustpilot.com/review/ashadegreener.co.uk

That’s brilliant thank you for the link! Doesn’t fill me with hope one bit
deleted67360
I dodge a bullet. I tried to get their solar panels back in the day and they would not install in my property
I read you can have problems getting a mortgage on a solar-panelled property as the vendor has leased out their roof for 20+ years.
terriclarkfan36 m ago

I read you can have problems getting a mortgage on a solar-panelled …I read you can have problems getting a mortgage on a solar-panelled property as the vendor has leased out their roof for 20+ years.

Permit me to clarify that this only applies to properties with solar PV that has been leased out. For the vast majority of houses where solar PV is installed and owned outright, the only issue is the odd tiresome surveyor who will never ever countenance a roof being amended in this way. Fortunately they are few are far between and as long as a reputable installer was used, there is no issue

The key to all this is what the muppet, (sorry I mean existing house owner) signed by way of a contract for the panels. Indeed, it is entirely possible the contract may pose issues with regard to any existing mortgage should one exist and you could end up with delays and further problems. It is almost certain to affect any application you make since a lien exists (ie unencumbered title is not yours to offer as security).

A useful bargaining tool on price if thee property is teh absolute one you want but in reality, a solicitor is going to tell you all sorts of very good reasons why you should walk away now before incurring search costs and solicitors fees. The seller has made the place virtually unsaleable
We looked at a property with their panels. The owner tried to convince me it was a plus point.
Despite the property otherwise being perfect we walked away.
Thank you all for the replies, we are looking at a property in a very popular area at this moment I.e. if a property is put on the market it sells within the first few days of it being on the market. We managed to get this one on the second day of it being marketed for the asking price, but at the time were not aware of the issues solar panels could bring. We have been told they have been put on by a very reputable company who will even come and take the panels off and re-fit them free of charge if we have an issue with them, but then I tried to contact them and it has gone down hill from there!

Thank you for the input from everybody in this thread
ScubaDudes05/03/2019 14:34

We looked at a property with their panels. The owner tried to convince me …We looked at a property with their panels. The owner tried to convince me it was a plus point.Despite the property otherwise being perfect we walked away.

Did you discuss the FIT money. A 4kw (max allowed) set, operating under ideal conditions in the midlands, on the original tariff is worth around £2,400pa tax free AND RISING for the power you generate. A little more in the south. Less in the north due to hours of sunshine falling on them. Then there is the amount you save on your electricity bill. I reckon on a conservative but realistic) £3,000 of TAX FREE income every year. Until Noah re-appears talking about Ark II - the refloating

8 years ago, I was paying around 8p/kwh. Now its 17p. Buy the house, take them off and sell them if it means so little in a world of sharply increasing utility bills. Even without FIT money, they will generate £600pa min. Use the money to put the roof in pristine condition.
ccnp7 m ago

Did you discuss the FIT money. A 4kw (max allowed) set, operating under …Did you discuss the FIT money. A 4kw (max allowed) set, operating under ideal conditions in the midlands, on the original tariff is worth around £2,400pa tax free AND RISING for the power you generate. A little more in the south. Less in the north due to hours of sunshine falling on them. Then there is the amount you save on your electricity bill. I reckon on a conservative but realistic) £3,000 of TAX FREE income every year. Until Noah re-appears talking about Ark II - the refloating 8 years ago, I was paying around 8p/kwh. Now its 17p. Buy the house, take them off and sell them if it means so little in a world of sharply increasing utility bills. Even without FIT money, they will generate £600pa min. Use the money to put the roof in pristine condition.

Hi, these panels are not bought by the owner but have been installed for ‘free’ where the owner has granted the lease of the airspace for them to be installed. The company that own and run them get the FIT money and the prospective buyer would benefit from the electricity the panels generate in the daylight hours and used
That was not a reply to the OP. ScubaDudes raised another point which was quoted in the reply.
ccnp10 m ago

That was not a reply to the OP. ScubaDudes raised another point which was …That was not a reply to the OP. ScubaDudes raised another point which was quoted in the reply.

Sorry think I’m confused
ccnp05/03/2019 15:31

Did you discuss the FIT money. A 4kw (max allowed) set, operating under …Did you discuss the FIT money. A 4kw (max allowed) set, operating under ideal conditions in the midlands, on the original tariff is worth around £2,400pa tax free AND RISING for the power you generate. A little more in the south. Less in the north due to hours of sunshine falling on them. Then there is the amount you save on your electricity bill. I reckon on a conservative but realistic) £3,000 of TAX FREE income every year. Until Noah re-appears talking about Ark II - the refloating 8 years ago, I was paying around 8p/kwh. Now its 17p. Buy the house, take them off and sell them if it means so little in a world of sharply increasing utility bills. Even without FIT money, they will generate £600pa min. Use the money to put the roof in pristine condition.

No as they were fitted free so if I had of bought the house, I'd never see any of fit and I couldn't of had them removed. There's no doubt about it that free solar panels make selling a house more difficult.
ScubaDudes05/03/2019 16:16

No as they were fitted free so if I had of bought the house, I'd never see …No as they were fitted free so if I had of bought the house, I'd never see any of fit and I couldn't of had them removed. There's no doubt about it that free solar panels make selling a house more difficult.

I do wonder if people like your good self were classic cases of miselling. Regretably, this was always a bad idea for exactly this reason.

Your reply infers that the panels were part of a deal when you bought the house. If your solicitor did not advise in writing of the risks you ran, (s)he may have a case to answer. A Solicitor does not need to know anything PV for this to be true. The legal issue is the presence of a Lien and that is the Conveyancing 101 course.

If the purchase was from a builder and you used a solicitor 'suggested' by the builder, I would be investigating for any firm with experience of challenging this or talking to your own solicitor. There are major issue of conflict and they would not be difficult to prove.
ccnp39 m ago

I do wonder if people like your good self were classic cases of miselling. …I do wonder if people like your good self were classic cases of miselling. Regretably, this was always a bad idea for exactly this reason.Your reply infers that the panels were part of a deal when you bought the house. If your solicitor did not advise in writing of the risks you ran, (s)he may have a case to answer. A Solicitor does not need to know anything PV for this to be true. The legal issue is the presence of a Lien and that is the Conveyancing 101 course. If the purchase was from a builder and you used a solicitor 'suggested' by the builder, I would be investigating for any firm with experience of challenging this or talking to your own solicitor. There are major issue of conflict and they would not be difficult to prove.

I didn't buy the house for the reason it had free solar panels installed. Never own a house with solar panels. But thanks for the detailed reply.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants