'A significant change has happened to your Universal Credit account, which will affect your payment'

Posted 27th Dec 2019
After a bit of guidance / reassurance regarding this issue, hoping to tap into the wisdom of HUKD, please...

I got a random notification email from Universal Credit at 8.42am on Boxing Day, stating the following:

A significant change has happened to your Universal Credit account, which will affect your payment.

You should check your account urgently to review the change.

From,

Universal Credit

It was genuine as when I logged into my account, there was a 'to do' item - review account details.

It seems it's a kind of review update just to confirm my details are up to date, but not sure? Just strange how the email stated a 'significant change has happened' to my account, when I hadn't changed anything myself to prompt it.

Hope anyone can advise, just a bit worried why I suddenly get this on Boxing Day, when nothing obvious has suggested why it did so.

Have also posted this on MoneySavingExpert forums for advice there.

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
SteMoss27/12/2019 22:08

I wouldn’t worry about it, as long as you have done things in your to-do l …I wouldn’t worry about it, as long as you have done things in your to-do list your all sorted. Of course you could always ring them or message them on your account.

I did put a message on the journal for my work coach, just means they won't see it until Monday now, so kind of going to be thinking about it over the weekend.

I do comply with them and attend appointments etc, so shouldn't be sanctioned, it's just always a 'worried sick' feeling when you get a message from UC.

To be honest I hate that I am in this situation, on benefits and not doing anything with my life. I have had serious mental health issues in the past few years, which is how I have ended up like this. I am trying to get back to work and get my life back on track.

If I think about it too much I will just give up, because the amount of debt I have wracked-up, don't own a property and will never be able to - it feels like my life is hopeless when looking at the facts - I am just taking one day at a time. I have a mountain to climb but no mountain was ever climbed without that first step, I guess.

I am applying for jobs almost every day, I am sorry if I offend people by being a sponger on benefits. I used to be someone who had a job and wondered why people aren't working, it's amazing how my life turned upside down. I have had serious issues in my life but I m not going to use it as an excuse. I need to pull my socks up and get on with it.
Edited by: "TGPips" 27th Dec 2019
16 Comments
Sounds like a scam. Hope you didn't open any links from the email and enter any details.
It might be because Benefits are changing next year
I wouldn’t worry about it, as long as you have done things in your to-do list your all sorted. Of course you could always ring them or message them on your account.
Did you get your payment on a different day due to the holidays? Might have been notification of that??
col24_727/12/2019 22:00

Sounds like a scam. Hope you didn't open any links from the email and …Sounds like a scam. Hope you didn't open any links from the email and enter any details.

My first instinct was a scam. I did the usual of opening internet browser and navigating to website myself, it was genuine as it was on my to-do list. There wasn't actually even a link to click on the email anyway.

I'm probably answering my own question here and worrying for nothing as it was like a review of circumstances and confirm everything thing. Just odd how it came out of nowhere as if something prompted a change.
SteMoss27/12/2019 22:08

I wouldn’t worry about it, as long as you have done things in your to-do l …I wouldn’t worry about it, as long as you have done things in your to-do list your all sorted. Of course you could always ring them or message them on your account.

I did put a message on the journal for my work coach, just means they won't see it until Monday now, so kind of going to be thinking about it over the weekend.

I do comply with them and attend appointments etc, so shouldn't be sanctioned, it's just always a 'worried sick' feeling when you get a message from UC.

To be honest I hate that I am in this situation, on benefits and not doing anything with my life. I have had serious mental health issues in the past few years, which is how I have ended up like this. I am trying to get back to work and get my life back on track.

If I think about it too much I will just give up, because the amount of debt I have wracked-up, don't own a property and will never be able to - it feels like my life is hopeless when looking at the facts - I am just taking one day at a time. I have a mountain to climb but no mountain was ever climbed without that first step, I guess.

I am applying for jobs almost every day, I am sorry if I offend people by being a sponger on benefits. I used to be someone who had a job and wondered why people aren't working, it's amazing how my life turned upside down. I have had serious issues in my life but I m not going to use it as an excuse. I need to pull my socks up and get on with it.
Edited by: "TGPips" 27th Dec 2019
fattyflumpalump27/12/2019 22:14

Did you get your payment on a different day due to the holidays? Might …Did you get your payment on a different day due to the holidays? Might have been notification of that??

My payment is due 1 January, but they have said elsewhere anyone whose payment falls on a bank holiday will get it a day earlier.

This review thing didn't seem to relate to anything to do with payments though, it came out of the clear blue sky.
TGPips27/12/2019 22:52

My payment is due 1 January, but they have said elsewhere anyone whose …My payment is due 1 January, but they have said elsewhere anyone whose payment falls on a bank holiday will get it a day earlier.This review thing didn't seem to relate to anything to do with payments though, it came out of the clear blue sky.

Were you on ESA and came off it on to UC?
xenophon27/12/2019 23:06

Were you on ESA and came off it on to UC?

I was on JSA, then ESA, then JSA again before they moved me over to Universal Credit.

Now my UC commitment is to search for work, so it is the same as being on JSA, just called Universal Credit.

I have been signed off with a fit note while on UC, and they altered my commitment that I was unfit for work - so even though still on UC, it was like being on ESA.

Universal Credit is the umbrella which both are covered under now, at least for me. I don't know if has been fully rolled out for everyone yet.
TGPips27/12/2019 23:13

I was on JSA, then ESA, then JSA again before they moved me over to …I was on JSA, then ESA, then JSA again before they moved me over to Universal Credit.Now my UC commitment is to search for work, so it is the same as being on JSA, just called Universal Credit.I have been signed off with a fit note while on UC, and they altered my commitment that I was unfit for work - so even though still on UC, it was like being on ESA.Universal Credit is the umbrella which both are covered under now, at least for me. I don't know if has been fully rolled out for everyone yet.

So you came off ESA on to JSA because you felt you were well enough to work. But now it appears you aren't. Can you try to go back on it, well the UC component if you have had a relapse?
You get an online account for Universal Credit?
TGPips27/12/2019 22:51

I did put a message on the journal for my work coach, just means they …I did put a message on the journal for my work coach, just means they won't see it until Monday now, so kind of going to be thinking about it over the weekend.I do comply with them and attend appointments etc, so shouldn't be sanctioned, it's just always a 'worried sick' feeling when you get a message from UC.To be honest I hate that I am in this situation, on benefits and not doing anything with my life. I have had serious mental health issues in the past few years, which is how I have ended up like this. I am trying to get back to work and get my life back on track.If I think about it too much I will just give up, because the amount of debt I have wracked-up, don't own a property and will never be able to - it feels like my life is hopeless when looking at the facts - I am just taking one day at a time. I have a mountain to climb but no mountain was ever climbed without that first step, I guess.I am applying for jobs almost every day, I am sorry if I offend people by being a sponger on benefits. I used to be someone who had a job and wondered why people aren't working, it's amazing how my life turned upside down. I have had serious issues in my life but I m not going to use it as an excuse. I need to pull my socks up and get on with it.

Don’t be sorry. You have every right to claim that money. Hope things work out well for you. Always feel free to PM if you ever want to chat. All the best!

I did put a message on the journal for my work coach, just means they …I did put a message on the journal for my work coach, just means they won't see it until Monday now, so kind of going to be thinking about it over the weekend.I do comply with them and attend appointments etc, so shouldn't be sanctioned, it's just always a 'worried sick' feeling when you get a message from UC.To be honest I hate that I am in this situation, on benefits and not doing anything with my life. I have had serious mental health issues in the past few years, which is how I have ended up like this. I am trying to get back to work and get my life back on track.If I think about it too much I will just give up, because the amount of debt I have wracked-up, don't own a property and will never be able to - it feels like my life is hopeless when looking at the facts - I am just taking one day at a time. I have a mountain to climb but no mountain was ever climbed without that first step, I guess.I am applying for jobs almost every day, I am sorry if I offend people by being a sponger on benefits. I used to be someone who had a job and wondered why people aren't working, it's amazing how my life turned upside down. I have had serious issues in my life but I m not going to use it as an excuse. I need to pull my socks up and get on with it.

good to hear that you are trying to do something about getting your life back. mental health issues are bad and hard to overcome and recover from, if at all possible.

the mind set is the most important thing and you have that. try to climb that huge mountain a step at a time and if you fall back down, pick yourself back up and start again. don't let the disappointments stop you trying.

'never give up, never give in, never surrender'

Sounds like you’re on the right path pal, good luck and I hope it all works out 💪🏿
I know this sounds ridiciulous, but, try not to worry about it and good luck!
Cremoso9928/12/2019 00:24

You get an online account for Universal Credit?

Yes all records are online its a right royal pain in the behind, I have had to start claiming Universal Credit whilst I am waiting for a back operation for two bulging discs as they are compressing a nerve. Its really frustrating especially as I am missing out on some good £20 an hour shifts at this time of year, on a positive I should be back in good working order for the summer festival jobs. Universal credits are the worse thing that has ever happened to the benefits system, its affected me mentally too as they took ages to sort it out and we had to rely on food-banks whilst they sorted out their mess ups, they would book you an appointment with another adviser then when you got there they had no idea why I was even there, we had 4 appointments just to supply the same proofs of ID, you have no income yet they make you do 3 or 4 15 mile round trips a week despite being on so may tablets I would likely rattle if you shook me then they wonder why I sound pee'd off at the appointments.

Its not that I don't want to work or cant find a job its that I cannot work due to the back issues I was told I risk causing more damage and that if that happened it would require a more serious invasive op. Especially as my line of work can get quite physical on a good night, I have a job I can go straight back to after my recovery period and I could walk into just about any job in the same field the same week. But trying to get them to understand that they look at you like you have three heads.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions