Groups
    EXPIRED

A SKY HD question

Can someone let me know the following:

If I have SKY+ at present, and buy a SKY HD box, do I simply call sky and 'pair' the card to the new box, in order to get all features and the free to air HD channels? (BBC, etc)

I understand that if I want to upgrade my SKY package to HD, then I need to pay £10 per month, however I don't want to do this

31 Comments

Yeah that's all you have to do

Original Poster

Robotochan;4856917

Yeah that's all you have to do

Thanks and Repped, been hovering over the 'buy' button for the last ten minutes!

do they charge you to 'pair' your card?

thanks
    Sean

Original Poster

leecher;4857147

do they charge you to 'pair' your card?thanksSean

nope...

Definately worth the exta £10 a month. They won't give you any HD channels without it as it can't descramble the signal. All you'll have is a black Sky + box in effect.

Syzable;4857188

Definately worth the exta £10 a month. They won't give you any HD … Definately worth the exta £10 a month. They won't give you any HD channels without it as it can't descramble the signal. All you'll have is a black Sky + box in effect.

thats confused me, i was under the impression you could simply call and link your card and you would receive the freesatHD channels?
    apologies for my ignorance

Syzable;4857188

Definately worth the exta £10 a month. They won't give you any HD … Definately worth the exta £10 a month. They won't give you any HD channels without it as it can't descramble the signal. All you'll have is a black Sky + box in effect.

You'll get BBC HD and Channel 4 HD without a sub

leecher;4857225

thats confused me, i was under the impression you could simply call and … thats confused me, i was under the impression you could simply call and link your card and you would receive the freesatHD channels?apologies for my ignorance

I was under the impression that you couldn't.............but maybe they just told me that to make sure they got my extra £10 a month. :lol:

Worth checking with Sky though.

Tillboy;4857233

You'll get BBC HD and Channel 4 HD without a sub

They lied to me. :cry:

Still..........the £10 is worth it for Nat Geo HD alone. :oops: :-D

Original Poster

Syzable;4857188

The problem I have is the length of contract. I have 4 months remaining of my year, and don't want to renew...hoping to land another half price new contract for the fourth year in a row :-D I'm guessing the addition of HD subscription means entering a new 12 month contract.

So I won't even manage to get the basic HD channels? I presume the picture quality is better going via HDMI than scart though?

Original Poster

Syzable;4857245

They lied to me. :cry:Still..........the £10 is worth it for Nat Geo HD … They lied to me. :cry:Still..........the £10 is worth it for Nat Geo HD alone. :oops: :-D

The Blu-Rays you send me of you and DC give me all the HD content I need :-D:-D

bazzaric;4857248

The problem I have is the length of contract. I have 4 months remaining … The problem I have is the length of contract. I have 4 months remaining of my year, and don't want to renew...hoping to land another half price new contract for the fourth year in a row :-D I'm guessing the addition of HD subscription means entering a new 12 month contract. So I won't even manage to get the basic HD channels? I presume the picture quality is better going via HDMI than scart though?

I'm not sure now.........i only know what they told me. And it sounds like they fibbed. :x lol

I run mine through HDMI.....scart would be useless as it doesn't transmit HD

Syzable;4857237

I was under the impression that you couldn't.............but maybe they … I was under the impression that you couldn't.............but maybe they just told me that to make sure they got my extra £10 a month. :lol:Worth checking with Sky though.

I replaced my multiroom Sky+ with an HD box, just got themto pair the card as mentioned.

Can get Channel 4 HD and BBC HD. Quality on the other channels is pretty good not sure if it does some upscaling.

Worth noting that even if you don't but the box from Sky if you take the HD sub you're tied in for 12 months

When the new planner is downloaded you should be able to get ITV HD too (for what it's worth)

bazzaric;4857260

The Blu-Rays you send me of you and DC give me all the HD content I need … The Blu-Rays you send me of you and DC give me all the HD content I need :-D:-D

You're welcome. They are fast becoming a top seller round these parts. :lol:

Syzable;4857245

They lied to me. :cry:Still..........the £10 is worth it for Nat Geo HD … They lied to me. :cry:Still..........the £10 is worth it for Nat Geo HD alone. :oops: :-D

Nat Geo & History HD are my faves

Tillboy;4857281

Nat Geo & History HD are my faves

Defiantely......i love them. Glad it's not just me.

Original Poster

Syzable;4857277

You're welcome. They are fast becoming a top seller round these parts. … You're welcome. They are fast becoming a top seller round these parts. :lol:

Hmm, don't know if i'd pay to watch them...hope I keep getting them for free? Unless Muckypup and prissy want to start adding some extra content ;-)

bazzaric;4857304

Hmm, don't know if i'd pay to watch them...hope I keep getting them for … Hmm, don't know if i'd pay to watch them...hope I keep getting them for free? Unless Muckypup and prissy want to start adding some extra content ;-)

Truncheon wielding in the upcoming sequel..........sit tight. :-D

Original Poster

Syzable;4857333

Truncheon wielding in the upcoming sequel..........sit tight. :-D

Sit tight....so much to say so many filters

can i just clarify something....again lol

If i have standard sky, not multi room, or sky+ and buy a sky HD box from fleabay for example, will i get the sky+ pause and rewind content and the freesatHD channels?

leecher;4857351

can i just clarify something....again lolIf i have standard sky, not … can i just clarify something....again lolIf i have standard sky, not multi room, or sky+ and buy a sky HD box from fleabay for example, will i get the sky+ pause and rewind content and the freesatHD channels?

If you have a live Sky sub then yes, just make it clear you don't want the HD sub just Sky+

Original Poster

leecher;4857351

can i just clarify something....again lolIf i have standard sky, not … can i just clarify something....again lolIf i have standard sky, not multi room, or sky+ and buy a sky HD box from fleabay for example, will i get the sky+ pause and rewind content and the freesatHD channels?

as long as you have two wires coming from your dish...

Tillboy;4857362

If you have a live Sky sub then yes, just make it clear you don't want … If you have a live Sky sub then yes, just make it clear you don't want the HD sub just Sky+

Don't forget you'll need a Quad LNB with another feed for Sky+

leecher;4857351

Unless you already have 2 cables coming from the Sky Dish no, you'll need to get a new LNB (thing sticking out of the dish) and fit the cable as well

bazzaric;4857373

as long as you have two wires coming from your dish...

And a quad LNB and then you can put the other receiver in another room.

i dont have 2 wires, so will have to invest in one of those thing too, not fussed about the old box will just sell it cheap on here probably lol. thanks for everyones help really appreciate it.

Original Poster

leecher;4857525

i dont have 2 wires, so will have to invest in one of those thing too, … i dont have 2 wires, so will have to invest in one of those thing too, not fussed about the old box will just sell it cheap on here probably lol. thanks for everyones help really appreciate it.

Hope your enjoying Hotukdeals! You might get more respect however if you were called 'seeder' instead of 'leecher' :-D:-D

bazzaric;4857549

Hope your enjoying Hotukdeals! You might get more respect however if you … Hope your enjoying Hotukdeals! You might get more respect however if you were called 'seeder' instead of 'leecher' :-D:-D

haha, well i didnt really have any plans on posting, now i have im addicted

Original Poster

right, I ordered a SKY HD box off ebay...

It has arrived and works perfect....too well in fact. It still has a card with the sky world package... The guy that sold it said to just chuck it out because it was his parents and they have moved abroad...

The thought of watching the footy tomorrow in HD is running through my mind..

bazzaric;4888065

right, I ordered a SKY HD box off ebay...It has arrived and works … right, I ordered a SKY HD box off ebay...It has arrived and works perfect....too well in fact. It still has a card with the sky world package... The guy that sold it said to just chuck it out because it was his parents and they have moved abroad...The thought of watching the footy tomorrow in HD is running through my mind..

Happy days :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Tillboy;4890387

Happy days :thumbsup:

The card change to a freeview type card today, but still gets BBC HD which is nice. Got my card moved over and paired with the HD box now, and loving it. And all for £50 on ebay :-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73844442
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423114449
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047070
      4. Forza Motorsport 7 Demo goes live on Xbox One and PC (6pm - 19/09)56

See more discussions