A warning about Grainger Games

Found 24th Feb 2014
I ordered two games from Grainger Games new, Pokemon Conquest came shrink wrapped and was American NTSC copy. Zelda Spirit Tracks came open with no Club Nintendo points.

After looking into it I've found out that they open all UK Nintendo games and steal the Club Nintendo points to buy Club Nintendo merchandise to sell in their store. I've reported them to both Trading Standards and Nintendo as what they do is illegal.

I'd advise everyone to avoid them, this is just one example of how they operate, I've known very few people have good experiences with them

16 Comments

I never had a single issue with them, in fact having moved from a place with lots of choice for games shops to a place with Game as the only game shop, I miss having Grainger Games, CEX, HMV, Zavvi etc to give me choice in my entertainment needs.

Furthermore, where exactly are you getting this information that they steal this stuff as I cant find any reference to the same after a quick google before going to bed. It's perfectly fine for them to sell you the game without this point card thing provided they don't advertise it as being supplied so not sure where you're getting illegal either unless they have sold it as coming with the point card.

Edited by: "Astec123" 24th Feb 2014

Astec123

I never had a single issue with them, in fact having moved from a place … I never had a single issue with them, in fact having moved from a place with lots of choice for games shops to a place with Game as the only game shop, I miss having Grainger Games, CEX, HMV, Zavvi etc to give me choice in my entertainment needs.Furthermore, where exactly are you getting this information that they steal this stuff as I cant find any reference to the same after a quick google before going to bed. It's perfectly fine for them to sell you the game without this point card thing provided they don't advertise it as being supplied so not sure where you're getting illegal either unless they have sold it as coming with the point card.

The points cards SHOULD be in there, they come with all Nintendo's first party stuff (and a lot of others) if a game is brand new, I would be pretty surprised the points cards are not in there, more than likely, the games were used and sold as new, hence the resealing business.
In future, if it does not have an official Nintendo seal OP, send the item back under distance selling reg's, or just shop elsewhere

Original Poster

It was £15 so I sold it on unsealed for the same price, they sell Club Nintendo items in store, this is how they get them. Nintendo are very hot on that kinda thing, that's why I didn't bother with their non existent customer service, I just reported them to other places.

And I get my info from other collectors of games. Every new Nintendo game comes sealed with a tear strip, and every game you buy with Nintendo contains a Club Nintendo code as part of the NEW item package. For them to open games and take part of the new product out is illegal

Original Poster

It's also illegal to advertise a PAL UK game and sell an American NTSC one, which they also regularly do

Original Poster

Also, believe it or not, Google doesn't contain all the worlds answers, sometimes you have to actually use your own initiative and think for yourself

I've ordered Nintendo products from them. The games were not sealed but they did come with Club Nintendo points, and had that *new* game smell everytime.

I'd imagine they don't have a main warehouse, and games are simply sent from their stores, thus games are stored behind the counter, similar to GAME, hence why they are unsealed.

slimer88

Also, believe it or not, Google doesn't contain all the worlds answers, … Also, believe it or not, Google doesn't contain all the worlds answers, sometimes you have to actually use your own initiative and think for yourself

So you made up your accusation then? Did you even use your own initiative and simply return them for a refund seen as you were unhappy? Your post seems to indicate you jumped to report them to trading standards.

Also, you do realise Club Nintendo has a limit on how many codes can be activated from the same product don't you? Which makes your accusation seem ridiculous.

I think Google may be more helpful to you then you think...

Astec123

I never had a single issue with them, in fact having moved from a place … I never had a single issue with them, in fact having moved from a place with lots of choice for games shops to a place with Game as the only game shop, I miss having Grainger Games, CEX, HMV, Zavvi etc to give me choice in my entertainment needs.Furthermore, where exactly are you getting this information that they steal this stuff as I cant find any reference to the same after a quick google before going to bed. It's perfectly fine for them to sell you the game without this point card thing provided they don't advertise it as being supplied so not sure where you're getting illegal either unless they have sold it as coming with the point card.

I expect my NEW games to be exactly that and not already opened and rummaged through and now not in a NEW condition by being damaged by someone chucking it in a paper/ plastic contaminated sleeve.

This is why I can't buy things from Grainger Games.

Edited by: "dontasciime" 24th Feb 2014

slimer88

For them to open games and take part of the new product out is illegal

slimer88

It's also illegal to advertise a PAL UK game and sell an American NTSC … It's also illegal to advertise a PAL UK game and sell an American NTSC one, which they also regularly do

Trading standards ruling will cover it no doubt. Phone them up and ask

biddilybah

So you made up your accusation then? Did you even use your own initiative … So you made up your accusation then? Did you even use your own initiative and simply return them for a refund seen as you were unhappy? Your post seems to indicate you jumped to report them to trading standards. Also, you do realise Club Nintendo has a limit on how many codes can be activated from the same product don't you? Which makes your accusation seem ridiculous. I think Google may be more helpful to you then you think...

It's one of each product but easily got round with multiple account via multiple different email accounts. I''m not convinced of them doing what OP says regarding Club Nintendo but then again I've had first hand experience of the low life policy they operate under and expect the staff to adhere to, so it is a possibility.

Also, don't rule out the 'individual' theory. It could be one employee involved at the packing stage who is opening and helping themselves to the code(s) before sealing the shipping parcel. I wouldn't immediately condemn the whole business for something an individual employee is doing. I would certainly have reported this to Grainger to at least hear the 'company' response to the issue, before jumping to a possible 'wrong' conclusion.

Do keep us informed of any responses/developments, slimer88. I have used Grainger in the past and have never had any problems but that's just my personal experience. If I were to mention any game/entertainment company with dodgy practices that I've had dealings with in the past, it would have to be "That's Entertainment." Wrong stuff sent, different stuff than ordered, different region stuff that won't even play in this country - the list goes on...

Regards, Phsy.

Anything dubbed new should be still sealed with the points card entact in my book. If the points card is gone and the wrapping isnt there then it isnt 'new'!

Trading standards will **** them for that. Ive been tempted to by from Grainer Games before but now im glad i havent.

I can't be the only one who gets annoyed when people start branding things as being illegal with no justification. I do not believe for a second that Parliament felt the need to specifically legislate against NTSC games being sold instead of PAL. Breach of contract is not the same as illegality.

I got F1 2013 from them last year on the Xbox 360 on release day.

It did come brand new sealed and was genuine but did have 'NOT FOR SALE IN UK' or similar plastered on the back above the barcode. It was the German market version but with English text and came with Red Bull flavour cover instead of McLaren.

Still worked fine and I was too excited to return it and wait but said it was the first and last time I'd use them as seemed a bit suspect.

EDIT - My bad, it was 2012 - hotukdeals.com/dea…e=4
Edited by: "Towelie" 24th Feb 2014

Banned

I ordered bd4 from them for pc, they had to get it from another store and it was open but the code for the game was still there and worked fine... If the case has been on the shelf in the shop the game is behind the counter that's why they are open, are you sure you never ordered it 2nd hand

dcx_badass

Can you link me to the UK law that bans this please?

that's misselling... if they advertise a particular product they have to provide that product

''Misselling is the deliberate, reckless, or negligent sale of products or services in circumstances where the contract is either misrepresented, or the product or service is unsuitable for the customer's needs. For example, selling life insurance to someone who has no dependents is regarded as misselling.[1]'' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misselling

In law, its classed as misrepresentation and is illegal.
adviceguide.org.uk/nir…htm
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants