A warning about TrustPilot.co.uk - TrustPilot can't be trusted!

Found 24th Feb 2016
I recently left a poor review for an online retailer on the review website, Trustpilot.co.uk. The next day I found the review had been reported and removed by the retailer because (apparently) it had breached Trustpilot guidelines.

This was, of course, a lot of nonsense, as my review was well-written, polite, factual, and contained no external links, etc. etc. And of course, the retailer has left their positive reviews well alone!

Trustpilot has asked me for proof of purchase, but let's face it: most reviewers aren't going to be bothered enough to provide that for every review that gets reported.

If Trustpilot lets retailers cherry-pick reviews to report, then surely the whole premise of the website becomes totally undermined?

So, let this serve as a warning that Trustpilot can't be trusted.
Community Updates
Misc
43 Comments
I knew it.
Post the review here & let us judge.
Bad reviews can cost companies business and there are plenty of idiots who would give no thought to giving a factually incorrect review, so it is understandable that there should be checks and balances.

If your review was geniune and you wanted people to know then I don't understand why you wouldn't be bothered to provide the evidence that was asked for. You did after all take the time to write the review in the first place.

The review system should be fair. You certainly should have the right to give your view about a company and its treatment of you as a customer on a review website, but a company should also have the right to refute your claims.
Edited by: "RossD89" 24th Feb 2016
trip advisor has similar controls im told...hard to get a negative review on there now
Original Poster
RossD89

Bad reviews can cost companies business and there are plenty of idiots … Bad reviews can cost companies business and there are plenty of idiots who would give no thought to giving a factually incorrect review, so it is understandable that there should be checks and balances.If your review was geniune and you wanted people to know then I don't understand why you wouldn't be bothered to provide the evidence that was asked for. You did after all take the time to write the review in the first place.The review system should be fair. You certainly should have the right to give your view about a company and its treatment of you as a customer on a review website, but a company should also have the right to refute your claims.

Totally agreed. However, companies shouldn't be able to demand proof of purchase selectively. If negative reviews require proof of purchase, then so should positive ones.

jools19

Sure, here it is, in full. It's about IWOOT (I Want One of Those).
http://i.imgur.com/1fGjlb4.png

Name and shame, was it Plusnet? X)
There are quite a few accounts of individuals having negative reviews pulled at the retailers request. I've read claims that Trustpilot basically lets vendors pay to have more control over what reviews are published. I've no idea if this is true, I really don't care enough to go all Ann Robinson on the subject.

But from my own experience looking at Overclockers reviews I'd say something is not right with Trustpilot, I've had several very bad experiences with OCUK and I'm far from alone, there is no way their feedback can be that glowing. You can find other review sites where they are rated 2/5 with loads of complaints over hundreds of reviews.
Original Poster
moneysavingkitten

IWOOT, actually! I posted an image above, but here's the text.

Received damaged parcel - months later, still no refundI placed an order … Received damaged parcel - months later, still no refundI placed an order before Christmas for three items.The first item was apparently out of stock, and so was cancelled automatically from my order. The other two items arrived in a box that was partly damaged. I messaged customer services and requested a pre-paid returns label (because the regular returns process leaves the buyer responsible for return costs, which obviously wasn't acceptable in this case).Now it's almost three months later and I have only received a refund for one item, despite returning both. It took them two weeks from receiving my return to making this (partial) refund. I must have sent 5 or 6 messages now, back-and-forth, trying to get this resolved. You also can't reply directly to emails - you need to log in to their website and navigate through your order history each time you want to send a reply. This is why retailers like Amazon are way ahead of the game. With a good returns procedure, I'd have posted it off and received a refund the next day without having to even talk to an advisor.As for me, I'll continue struggling for my full refund, but it might be easier to just issue a chargeback from my card provider at this point. Customers be warned.

moneysavingkitten

Received damaged parcel - months later, still no refundI placed an order … Received damaged parcel - months later, still no refundI placed an order before Christmas for three items.The first item was apparently out of stock, and so was cancelled automatically from my order. The other two items arrived in a box that was partly damaged. I messaged customer services and requested a pre-paid returns label (because the regular returns process leaves the buyer responsible for return costs, which obviously wasn't acceptable in this case).Now it's almost three months later and I have only received a refund for one item, despite returning both. It took them two weeks from receiving my return to making this (partial) refund. I must have sent 5 or 6 messages now, back-and-forth, trying to get this resolved. You also can't reply directly to emails - you need to log in to their website and navigate through your order history each time you want to send a reply. This is why retailers like Amazon are way ahead of the game. With a good returns procedure, I'd have posted it off and received a refund the next day without having to even talk to an advisor.As for me, I'll continue struggling for my full refund, but it might be easier to just issue a chargeback from my card provider at this point. Customers be warned.

Sorry I was a bit slow there. I have seen reviews complaining reviews have been pulled on Trust pilot before, although I imagine they don't last long.

I have written some reviews for clothing sites (I think it was Boohoo I particular remember, where I posted one positive review for one item and one negative review for another. The positive one was posted the negative one was moderated and removed. I was posted from the account I had ordered from and both items were in the same order. So there was no question it was a legitimate purchase.

I believe most clothing websites use a reviews system called Bazaar Voice. They get paid for building positive reviews for companies, not impartial ones. So you see where I am going with that. They can just pick and choose only good reviews.

I realise this is not Trust Pilot, but it also demonstrates how reviews can be a load old guff.
Edited by: "MSK." 24th Feb 2016
Original Poster
spaceinvader

There are quite a few accounts of individuals having negative reviews … There are quite a few accounts of individuals having negative reviews pulled at the retailers request. I've read claims that Trustpilot basically lets vendors pay to have more control over what reviews are published. I've no idea if this is true, I really don't care enough to go all Ann Robinson on the subject. But from my own experience looking at Overclockers reviews I'd say something is not right with Trustpilot, I've had several very bad experiences with OCUK and I'm far from alone, there is no way their feedback can be that glowing. You can find other review sites where they are rated 2/5 with loads of complaints over hundreds of reviews.

Oh definitely. I've had poor experiences with several companies rated highly on Trustpilot, including OCUK and Dabs. Also if you search for "iwoot reviews", this ReviewCentre page is one of the top results, with shockingly bad reviews. But Trustpilot rates them as 8.4/10? Seems off to me. I'm just annoyed by the lack of any real transparency.
RossD89

Bad reviews can cost companies business and there are plenty of idiots … Bad reviews can cost companies business and there are plenty of idiots who would give no thought to giving a factually incorrect review, so it is understandable that there should be checks and balances.If your review was geniune and you wanted people to know then I don't understand why you wouldn't be bothered to provide the evidence that was asked for. You did after all take the time to write the review in the first place.The review system should be fair. You certainly should have the right to give your view about a company and its treatment of you as a customer on a review website, but a company should also have the right to refute your claims.

jools19

Seems fair enough, I now wonder how many other bad reviews they can just discard.
This has been posted many times especially when it comes to Chinese online stores. Many negative reviews
have been taken down at the protest of the store. I guess they rely on advertising and so they are not so
balanced as people would think.
spaceinvader

There are quite a few accounts of individuals having negative reviews … There are quite a few accounts of individuals having negative reviews pulled at the retailers request. I've read claims that Trustpilot basically lets vendors pay to have more control over what reviews are published. I've no idea if this is true, I really don't care enough to go all Ann Robinson on the subject. But from my own experience looking at Overclockers reviews I'd say something is not right with Trustpilot, I've had several very bad experiences with OCUK and I'm far from alone, there is no way their feedback can be that glowing. You can find other review sites where they are rated 2/5 with loads of complaints over hundreds of reviews.

Did a review on Customer Care after leaking product arrived with Post Office intervention /packaging to try and make item safe, from "Look Fantastic"They were diabolical and offered us 40% cost back.Eventually after many e-mails telephone calls they begrudgingly sent another item.
Trust pilot review was taken off!!!
Def not worth "Trusting" Trustpilot...oO
I remember reading reviews around 18 months ago for a popular online electronics retailer with a review score of around 1/10. A few weeks later their score had jumped to over 9/10 and I noticed quite a number of the negative or even only slightly critical reviews I had read earlier had been pulled.

It's possible they could have been fake but I doubt it. Their low score had been pretty consistent for a number of years and for it to improve so quickly with in the space of a month or so makes me suspicious.

Its time to leave trustpilot a review on trustpilot?
uk.trustpilot.com/rev…com

edit:
lol theres lots of:
"Trustpilot reported this review for breach of Trustpilot guidelines. We are currently assessing the review in accordance with our reporting processes."
Edited by: "fps_d0minat0r" 24th Feb 2016
jonnybravo99

trip advisor has similar controls im told...hard to get a negative review … trip advisor has similar controls im told...hard to get a negative review on there now

very true I posted a very factual but negative review of the number 1 restaurant in Fleetwood, the owner threatened me with the police, and solicitors letters, after much arguing with TA they put the review back up
miles136

very true I posted a very factual but negative review of the number 1 … very true I posted a very factual but negative review of the number 1 restaurant in Fleetwood, the owner threatened me with the police, and solicitors letters, after much arguing with TA they put the review back up

​ooh, ooh, link please!
I posted a review on Reevoo after receiving a soggy laptop bag from Ebuyer. It was sent through the post in the light poly bag that they're in on a shop shelf. Address label stuck on and the end of the bag had only a single piece of tape across the end. Delivered in torrential rain by a walking postie, so soggy bag.
Review removed as it referred to service not product. Splitting hairs to protect seller.
I'm thinking this is quite widespread , I had a negative review removed from/never saw the light of day from B&Qs website. I had actually been very complimentary about the wallpaper, but the service/delivery aspect of the order had been a nightmare, so I mentioned that had I have known how bad it was going to be I would have purchased the item in store rather than trusting their click and collect service. My whole review was pulled as being unsuitable to publish.

So do we have a business idea here. Start an unreserved review site and charge retailers an extortionate amount to remove reviews.
Then shill the reviews to keep the money rolling in.
I submitted a bad review of 0800 Repair on Trustpilot, which was removed because I couldn't provide "proof of purchase"

I arranged for 0800 Repair to come round via a phone call, and paid by card so there was no email receipt. I gave Trustpilot my bank statement (clearly showing the transaction and retailer name) but this wasn't sufficient apparently.

Retailers pay for accounts with Trustpilot so it's a biased system..
Edited by: "oldmanhouse" 25th Feb 2016
freakstyler

I remember reading reviews around 18 months ago for a popular online … I remember reading reviews around 18 months ago for a popular online electronics retailer with a review score of around 1/10. A few weeks later their score had jumped to over 9/10 and I noticed quite a number of the negative or even only slightly critical reviews I had read earlier had been pulled. It's possible they could have been fake but I doubt it. Their low score had been pretty consistent for a number of years and for it to improve so quickly with in the space of a month or so makes me suspicious.:{

Name and shame, which retailer are you referring to?
Al18

Name and shame, which retailer are you referring to?

Ebuyer.
yeah im lazy but cba reading all...

probably pulled as you mentioned a competitor
could be seen as promoting them
IWantOneOfThose.com... Another member of The Hut Gripe.

When will people learn?
This is outrages it's giving up pilots a bad name.
CookinBat

This is outrages it's giving up pilots a bad name.

outrageous... us?
fanpages

outrageous... us?

Sheesh, no wonder no one thumbed it us,lol..
Banned
Let me check my TrustPilot reviews... All my positive and negative reviews are there. But keep in mind, I don't give websites bad feedback for the sake of it but because I had a bad experience.
Can't trust the trust pilot. I remember an acquaintance getting everyone they knew to leave positive reviews for the company they worked at as they got a kickback for every 5 positive reviews.

this site has also had a large number of negative reviews on trust pilot removed also

Gamer_U

Let me check my TrustPilot reviews... All my positive and negative … Let me check my TrustPilot reviews... All my positive and negative reviews are there. But keep in mind, I don't give websites bad feedback for the sake of it but because I had a bad experience.

how is that relevant? op didn't leave a review 'just for the sake of it' either

Edited by: "brilly" 26th Feb 2016
Oneday77

So do we have a business idea here. Start an unreserved review site and … So do we have a business idea here. Start an unreserved review site and charge retailers an extortionate amount to remove reviews. Then shill the reviews to keep the money rolling in.

I'm in.
fanpages

IWantOneOfThose.com... Another member of The Hut Gripe.When will people … IWantOneOfThose.com... Another member of The Hut Gripe.When will people learn?

Unrelated but I like your dog's costume. How old is he now?
Steve Mac

Unrelated but I like your dog's costume. How old is he now?

"That is not my dog".

Mine died in August 2014 after a long battle against Addison's disease.
fanpages

"That is not my dog".Mine died in August 2014 after a long battle against … "That is not my dog".Mine died in August 2014 after a long battle against Addison's disease.

I can't see the link as I'm at work but I'm guessing it from the Pink Panther.

Sorry
Steve Mac

I can't see the link as I'm at work but I'm guessing it from the Pink … I can't see the link as I'm at work but I'm guessing it from the Pink Panther.Sorry

Indeed it was "The Pink Panther Strikes Again". Well done!

No need to apologise. You did not know.

Thanks for your thought in any respect.
fanpages

Indeed it was "The Pink Panther Strikes Again". Well done! :)No need to … Indeed it was "The Pink Panther Strikes Again". Well done! :)No need to apologise. You did not know.Thanks for your thought in any respect.

I remember watching the box set when I was about 15. And I remember crying with laughter at that scene as well as pop up lighter scene.
Steve Mac

I remember watching the box set when I was about 15. And I remember … I remember watching the box set when I was about 15. And I remember crying with laughter at that scene as well as pop up lighter scene.

The next time you have access to YouTube.com, see if these (presently, four) clips bring back some more happy memories:

[ youtube.com/use…ips ]
David9999

I already see the problem. You mentioned a competitor's site … I already see the problem. You mentioned a competitor's site (Amazon.com). that's simply against the rules. We use Trustpilot for our company and I can say that they're WAY more reliable than something like resellerratings (which is a pay to play extortion based service). Our company has a pretty good rating - 9.3, but we do get our share of 1 and 2 star reviews. If they are valid (like a product was backordered and took too long to ship, or they simply didn't like our customer service), even if we WANTED to remove the rating, TrustPilot would push back and make us support our case. In the vast majority of cases, the only recourse we have is to simply reply and state our side of things.

8 months previously some genius already said that... #25
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants