A Windows 7 Question...The 'Snipping Tool.'

Found 18th Apr
With cap in hand again, we would really appreciate some advice. The problem is we are no longer able to save clips from the 'snipping tool' as we used to. It's a Windows 7 laptop, admittedly old, but far more capable than we are.

We've googled it and most of the (presumably) correct results points us to this:

social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/3baa3e47-c843-492b-8e30-91d6a53562e4/snipping-tool-will-not-save?forum=w7itproinstall

https://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210148-snipping-tool-wont-save.html

We have lost all our photos in 'My Pictures.'

Is anyone able to help an old fool rectify this problem? We have tried 'reinstall', but the dates offered do not go back far enough.

Many thanks for any help.

Diegobound.
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Run the windows 7 repair and it should put the my pictures back in the right folder in the right place in the registry .
KemCol18th Apr

Run the windows 7 repair and it should put the my pictures back in the …Run the windows 7 repair and it should put the my pictures back in the right folder in the right place in the registry .

Thanks for taking the time to reply 'philmitchell'. For a total numpty, how do you do that? We failed at 'Classic view in the task pane.' We don't have that option.

Re-installing the Snipping Tool
  • Open Control Panel, click the Classic View in the Tasks pane. Double click 'Programs and Features'.
  • Select 'Turn Windows features on or off' in the Tasks Pane.
  • Remove the check mark from the 'Tablet PC Optional Components' and press OK.
  • Exit and reboot the computer. This will remove the Snipping Tool component.
  • After the computer restarts, go back into Control Panel and repeat the same procedure
  • Add the check mark to the 'Tablet PC Optional Components'
  • Reboot the computer again.
If you have a partition on your computer it should be on the D drive , if not you might have some windows repair disks that you made when you got the computer . Run them and it should put everything back to when you bought the computer .
KemCol18th Apr

Run the windows 7 repair and it should put the my pictures back in the …Run the windows 7 repair and it should put the my pictures back in the right folder in the right place in the registry .

Phil, just googled your suggestion. Unfortunately, we don't have a disc or USB. Guess we are out of luck, but I thank you again for your time and help.

How do I do a system repair on Windows 7?
To use this method, you need to restart (boot) your computer using the disc or USB flash drive.
Insert the Windows 7 installation disc or USB flash drive, or a system repair disc, and then shut down your computer.Restart your computer using the computer's power button.More items...
Do you have a D drive on your comp ?
KemCol18th Apr

If you have a partition on your computer it should be on the D drive , if …If you have a partition on your computer it should be on the D drive , if not you might have some windows repair disks that you made when you got the computer . Run them and it should put everything back to when you bought the computer .

Thanks. I posted the reply above before your message. No discs, I'm afraid. My laptop was a gift. Still working perfectly apart from this and I never even went down the Windows 10 road as I'm better with things I know.

Your time and patience is much appreciated,
KemCol18th Apr

Do you have a D drive on your comp ?

Don't think so. It just has Acer (C):
deleted1597344
Diegobound19 m ago

Don't think so. It just has Acer (C):

Have you tried running sfc /scannow

A registry edit could potentially solve this issue but it’s worth making sure your file system is intact first.
deleted159734418th Apr

Have you tried running sfc /scannowA registry edit could potentially solve …Have you tried running sfc /scannowA registry edit could potentially solve this issue but it’s worth making sure your file system is intact first.

Genuinely have no idea what that means. Sorry.

I was hoping for a quick fix, maybe a click this, click that. Seems this is all way out of my league.

I am genuinely grateful for you taking the time to try and help 'Airbus'. (Nice aircraft, by the way.)
deleted1597344
Diegobound35 m ago

Genuinely have no idea what that means. Sorry. I was hoping for a quick …Genuinely have no idea what that means. Sorry. I was hoping for a quick fix, maybe a click this, click that. Seems this is all way out of my league.I am genuinely grateful for you taking the time to try and help 'Airbus'. (Nice aircraft, by the way.)

No problem, I’ll try and point you in the right direction.

Press CTRL SHIFT ESC all at the same time to open task manager.

When that opens click File > Run new task

In the box that opens type: cmd

Tick the box ‘create this task with admin privileges’

Click OK

In the cmd prompt window type: sfc /scannow

Press enter and let it do its thing (it may take a while).

She is a beauty
Edited by: "deleted1597344" 18th Apr
deleted159734418th Apr

No problem, I’ll try and point you in the right direction.Press CTRL SHIFT …No problem, I’ll try and point you in the right direction.Press CTRL SHIFT ESC all at the same time to open task manager.When that opens click File > Run new taskIn the box that opens type: cmdTick the box ‘create this task with admin privileges’Click OKIn the cmd prompt window type: sfc /scannowPress enter and let it do its thing (it may take a while). She is a beauty

Okee doke. Is this going to lose everything on my laptop such as all my settings, adblocks , virus protection, etc?

Big step, this, Airbus. Quite happy to leave things as they are, if so.

(The Spitfire was the best engineering design, just for the record.)

Thanks, Airbus.
deleted1597344
Diegobound23 m ago

Okee doke. Is this going to lose everything on my laptop such as all my …Okee doke. Is this going to lose everything on my laptop such as all my settings, adblocks , virus protection, etc?Big step, this, Airbus. Quite happy to leave things as they are, if so.(The Spitfire was the best engineering design, just for the record.)Thanks, Airbus.

No you will not lose anything all your stuff is perfectly safe.

The spitfire was quite a remarkable aircraft in its day.
deleted159734418th Apr

No you will not lose anything all your stuff is perfectly safe.The …No you will not lose anything all your stuff is perfectly safe.The spitfire was quite a remarkable aircraft in its day.

Thanks so much Airbus. It's all a bit scary, to be honest. Not that I don't trust you, I actually do. ( Online, never met the person )

Just a bit tired now so don't want to do anything to compromise our laptop without having my ducks in a row.

I'll look back at your posts and act accordingly tomorrow.

Thanks so much Airbus.
No joy, unfortunately. I'll leave it be.

My sincere thanks to Philmitchell and Airbus for their time.

Diegobound.
I don’t use snipping tool. I use another free program called screenhunter. That might work well for you if you can’t figure out the reason snipping tool isn’t working.

wisdom-soft.com

No idea with limited info why your pictures are missing, but you can follow this guide to create a system repair disc and perform the repair if you feel confident in doing so;

support.microsoft.com/en-…isc
Edited by: "andrewp" 19th Apr
andrewp6 m ago

I don’t use snipping tool. I use another free program called screenhunter. …I don’t use snipping tool. I use another free program called screenhunter. That might work well for you if you can’t figure out the reason snipping tool isn’t working.wisdom-soft.comNo idea with limited info why your pictures are missing, but you can follow this guide to create a system repair disc and perform the repair if you feel confident in doing so;https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17423/windows-7-create-system-repair-disc

Hi andrewp, thanks so much for taking your time to help. I'll have a look at your suggestions.

My sincere thanks.

Diegobound.
andrewp17 m ago

I don’t use snipping tool. I use another free program called screenhunter. …I don’t use snipping tool. I use another free program called screenhunter. That might work well for you if you can’t figure out the reason snipping tool isn’t working.wisdom-soft.comNo idea with limited info why your pictures are missing, but you can follow this guide to create a system repair disc and perform the repair if you feel confident in doing so;https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17423/windows-7-create-system-repair-disc

Had a look at the system repair disc option, the annoying/ironic thing is I can't clip the screen to show you my problem. Deary me.

No worries.
Gadwin Printscreen is my go to print screen app (better than snipping tool)

gadwin.com/pri…en/
it is the other way round normally, sniping tool is usually not able to save because it cannot find the correct pictures folder, finding what happened to that would likely solve the issue with the sniping tool.
I hope you have your pictures backed up..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants