a workman owes me money and wants my bank details to transfer the money accross to me

Found 2nd Apr 2017
He's asked me to give him my bank card details so he can transfer the money into my account to save him coming to my house.. are there any risks? Like can he take money out of my account somehow? Thanks for advice
Community Updates
29 Comments
If it's not someone you 100% trust, then don't give them your bank details.
Whats wrong with an old fashioned cheque?
Tell him to PayPal if both have it
If you give somebody ONLY your account number and sort code, they can only pay money IN.
If you are just giving him your sort code and account number then it is just the same information as you would hand across on cheque.

I would be happy to give him those details.
Perfectly safe and normal way to make a payment. No fees for either party.
If you just give him your sort code and account number, then it is fine. If you gave him a cheque, both numbers are already on it.

Banned
bank account number & sort code YES its SAFE

Card details - NOT A CHANCE
I really don't get people getting worried about giving out their account number and sort code to people. You'd happily give someone a cheque which has more information on it.
he will only need your bank account number & sort code and possibly the name of your bank, that's the ONLY information you should give him, and obviously your name!
Edited by: "dagsky" 2nd Apr 2017
Original Poster
Thanks guys.. I feel ok about it now.. much appreciated
squiff

If you give somebody ONLY your account number and sort code, they can … If you give somebody ONLY your account number and sort code, they can only pay money IN.

​they can set up a direct debit. Google Jeremy Clarkson and direct debit think it was his newspaper column..
justanothercid

​they can set up a direct debit. Google Jeremy Clarkson and direct debit t … ​they can set up a direct debit. Google Jeremy Clarkson and direct debit think it was his newspaper column..

That would be covered under the direct debit guarantee and the banks insurance would recompensate you as it would be fraud.
Account number and sortcode, perfectly fine.
Anything else, no.
justanothercid

​they can set up a direct debit. Google Jeremy Clarkson and direct debit t … ​they can set up a direct debit. Google Jeremy Clarkson and direct debit think it was his newspaper column..

​Google zombies.. You will find pictures and videos of them.. even though they don't exist.
Google does not validate anything.
Dawsy

​Google zombies.. You will find pictures and videos of them.. even though … ​Google zombies.. You will find pictures and videos of them.. even though they don't exist.Google does not validate anything.

Pfff. You'll be saying Santa doesn't exist next! oO
As others have said, just give him your sort code and account number. Will be fine. I get payments this way all the time.
mutley1

As others have said, just give him your sort code and account number. … As others have said, just give him your sort code and account number. Will be fine. I get payments this way all the time.

Thanks for clearing that up for us
Cakeboy79

I really don't get people getting worried about giving out their account … I really don't get people getting worried about giving out their account number and sort code to people. You'd happily give someone a cheque which has more information on it.

​the op has asked a different question and to his question definitely do give him your card details.not a good idea at all yes giving bank details is a better idea though than what op has asked.
so many people haven't read the question. not a good idea to give ur bank card details but a bank details such as account number and sort code is all they need plus maybe ur name but that's not required 100% of the time.
If you are concerned tell him to use paym. all banks have the system now and then you just give him the mobile number. attach that number to your banks paym system and it will go into your bank account without him knowing it. all he will know is your mobile number.
Some great comments on here
rhinopaul

Whats wrong with an old fashioned cheque?

Account number and sort code is written on the cheque anyway...
Original Poster
Dawsy

​Google zombies.. You will find pictures and videos of them.. even though … ​Google zombies.. You will find pictures and videos of them.. even though they don't exist.Google does not validate anything.

Lol like this comment X)
I'll tell you what. Give him my account and sort code to transfer the money. Pm me for details

I will come to your house with the cash
Edited by: "peanuted" 2nd Apr 2017
Original Poster
MynameisM

​the op has asked a different question and to his question definitely do g … ​the op has asked a different question and to his question definitely do give him your card details.not a good idea at all yes giving bank details is a better idea though than what op has asked.

Sorry think I confused you there as I wrote card.. I didn't mean my card details, just my sort code and account number.. thanks for your advice.. I gave him them and I've received the payment, finally.
Ps I'm a her not a him lol X)
Original Poster
peanuted

I'll tell you what. Give him my account and sort code to transfer the … I'll tell you what. Give him my account and sort code to transfer the money. Pm me for details I will come to your house with the cash

Yeah ok will do, what's your sort code and account number? :X)
LeahMinttoutou

Sorry think I confused you there as I wrote card.. I didn't mean my card … Sorry think I confused you there as I wrote card.. I didn't mean my card details, just my sort code and account number.. thanks for your advice.. I gave him them and I've received the payment, finally. :)Ps I'm a her not a him lol X)

​ok very good lol I just seen a pic which looked like a man so thought ur are a him and not a her.
Original Poster
MynameisM

​ok very good lol I just seen a pic which looked like a man so thought ur … ​ok very good lol I just seen a pic which looked like a man so thought ur are a him and not a her.

No probs yeah my pic is a character from everybody loves Raymond lol.. I should change it but ugh It's a chore lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants