Expired

AA Breakdown Repair Cover has been declined...

Found 15th Apr 2014
I am in contact with my lawyer but do not know much about the car's. My AA-Breakdown Repair Cover has been refused (detail below) by AA.

I complained against the decision to AA-Complaint department according to the advise of my lawyer. Can some please guide me about the reason they gave below?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand that you are unhappy because we were unable to contribute towards the costs accrued in regard to the clutch repair conducted on your vehicle. In response I am sending you a letter outlining details of the independent inspector’s report and how my decision was made, as requested.

Your vehicle’s clutch components were inspected by an independent engineer. At the point of inspection the clutch had been removed from the flywheel, with the flywheel remained in situ. The clutch release bearing had broken up. Its outer track had separated and split, with both the inner and outer races on the bearing running surfaces being dry, abraded and discoloured. The residual bearings were excessively discoloured and dry of lubrication.

The bearing carrier within the gearbox was excessively radially scored and ground down. The clutch release fork was ground down, scored and discoloured at the bearing contact area. On inspection of the clutch centre plate one of the centre hub damping springs were excessively polished, bruised and hammered, and was excessively loose and detachable on manual testing. Two further damping springs were excessively loose in their housing, with the remaining one being slightly loose but remaining intact.

The centre plate centre boss was loose within the centre hub area. The clutch centre plate linings were intact and both were approximately 80% to 90% worn. The clutch pressure plate’s diaphragm spring fingers were even in height in an unclamped position and the pressure plate fingertips were grooved and scored in the release bearing contact area. The friction surface showed light discolouration with high spots evident in one area.

On inspection of the solid flywheel the friction surface showed light discolouration and high spots. There was no evidence of any contamination to the inspected clutch components.

In the independent inspector’s opinion the failure was due to wear and deterioration of the clutch release bearing. Continual use of the vehicle in this condition had resulted in the eventual bearing failure and the bearing breaking up, resulting in the clutch release fork to contact the diaphragm spring fingers resulting in the damage as reported. The excessive free play within the damper springs (and the damage as reported to the damper spring) was the result of operation of the vehicle in a failed state.

The fault initially would have become evident in the form of abnormal noise and vibration through the clutch pedal, had attention been given at that point, it would have avoided the resultant damage as reported. The faults identified are progressive and would have developed over a period of time, and not suddenly in the vehicles last journey.

As the breakdown repair cover is for an unforeseen mechanical breakage (noted on point A on page 7 of the BRCTC15 terms and conditions booklet, and further defined below on the same page) and the policy also excludes wear and tear (point 8 on page 10 of the BRCTC15 terms and conditions booklet) and consequential damage from driving on a vehicle in a failed state (point 16 on page 10 of the booklet) regretfully the costs accrued in regard to the clutch repair were not something that I could contribute to on this occasion.
Community Updates
19 Comments
Seems straightforward fault due to avoidable wear and tear. Why would you expect AA to cover that...
Not sure what your cover included, but it seems to say, "As the breakdown repair cover is for an unforeseen mechanical breakage"

The report showed that the clutch & mechanism was knackered, & you should have replaced it before it finally failed.

Personally, I thought the AA etc were for breakdowns, to me this is a worn out part that a car owner would expect to have to replace every now & again.

Why are you not asking your lawyer who is likely to have far more professional knowledge than the HUKD misc department.

Also you don't say what you are claiming for and what happened, so how could we answer.

The report is simply saying what has happened to your clutch, it has worn out through wear and tear.

The AA has secured the evidence of an independent examiner to safeguard against any future accusations of bias by you. To counter this you will need to have a different 'expert' appointed to physically examine the clutch and assess whether the report is accurate. That will cost you money. To succeed, you will have to have evidence which counters that of the AA report - not an easy thing to do. Basically they are saying that the damage should have been evident to you at an early stage and if you had done something about it then, it would have saved further damage being caused.
I hate to say but she has quoted the terms and conditions. which part do you disagree with? they are stating you would have warning signs before the overall failure? and this should have been fixed before mechanical break down occurred.
straight forward..the overall damage was caused by excessive wear of the clutch. You should have notice the problem earlier and got it fixed to avoid the other damages
my clutch went in February and I am also covered by the AA. I rang them they came out and towed me to the garage of my choice. I wouldn't have expected them to repair the clutch just get me to a garage.
Aye my bloke down the pub response is I am taking the AA's side. Your poor car must have been screaming for a repair or maintenance for ages before giving up on you.
Reading the engineers report, it suggests you sit at traffic lights or long queues with the clutch pedal either fully depressed or held at the biting point causing it to overheat. You do not need a solicitor as the clutch has worn due to misuse. Discolouration is due to overheating, usually as a result of my opinion above. It would not be covered in any event as it has not failed suddenly but has progressively got worse and that you did not address this at an earlier stage which would not have caused consequential damage. If you are waiting at traffic lights or queues of traffic, put the gears into neutral, use handbrake and rest your feet. This will prevent the release bearing from overheating preventing the grease from running dry and protecting the bearings, cover plate fingers, friction plate, flywheel and clutch fork.

OP:
What happened, did they charge you to tow it?
Seems like they're within their rights to, according to their T&Cs.
Did they make this charge clear to you?

There's virtually no context to your question so difficult to comment.

I don't have breakdown cover but I do remember once breaking down at the front of lights in heavy traffic on an A-road! Not pleasant. It was due to clutch cable snapping. If this was deemed wear and tear, and I was an AA member, would they not rescue me?

The Therapist

Reading the engineers report, it suggests you sit at traffic lights or … Reading the engineers report, it suggests you sit at traffic lights or long queues with the clutch pedal either fully depressed or held at the biting point causing it to overheat. You do not need a solicitor as the clutch has worn due to misuse. Discolouration is due to overheating, usually as a result of my opinion above. It would not be covered in any event as it has not failed suddenly but has progressively got worse and that you did not address this at an earlier stage which would not have caused consequential damage. If you are waiting at traffic lights or queues of traffic, put the gears into neutral, use handbrake and rest your feet. This will prevent the release bearing from overheating preventing the grease from running dry and protecting the bearings, cover plate fingers, friction plate, flywheel and clutch fork.

Does keeping the clutch depressed also wear out the clutch?
My clutch recently wore out (I was a serial biting-point waiter at traffic lights).
Since then I never wait in biting point. Probably 80% neutral, 20% depressed. Thought this was fine. Will use neutral more often if not so.
DennisG

OP:What happened, did they charge you to tow it?Seems like they're within … OP:What happened, did they charge you to tow it?Seems like they're within their rights to, according to their T&Cs.Did they make this charge clear to you?There's virtually no context to your question so difficult to comment.I don't have breakdown cover but I do remember once breaking down at the front of lights in heavy traffic on an A-road! Not pleasant. It was due to clutch cable snapping. If this was deemed wear and tear, and I was an AA member, would they not rescue me?Does keeping the clutch depressed also wear out the clutch?My clutch recently wore out (I was a serial biting-point waiter at traffic lights).Since then I never wait in biting point. Probably 80% neutral, 20% depressed. Thought this was fine. Will use neutral more often if not so.

The customer is liable for authority to dismantle and inspect. If the failed component is covered under the policy, the breakdown insurance covers the cost. If it is not covered, the customer pays for the costs to repair. This is standard industry practice and is always in the terms and conditions.

Keeping the clutch pushed in for long periods harms the clutch bearing causing it to overheat and weakens the cover plate fingers and can cause the friction plate to warp which leads to clutch judder. A sign of the bearing failing is a whining noise which disappears when you start to push the clutch pedal down and reappears as you lift off the clutch pedal.
cheers for the info on clutch wear

just realised that breakdown repair cover is different from breakdown cover, I thought OP had been charged for being towed to garage for the repair of a worn and torn component.
straight foward in my opinion. AA have covered themselves from start to finish.

ive had few issues with cars but i dont drive far, the only thing i had was a water pump going dodgy on the 207 and i noticed this straight away.

in my opinion you get so used to how your car sounds/feels to drive that you notice if its not working right or driving proper pretty quick.

id take it on the chin and forget chasing the aa, its an issue thats been there for a good while by the sounds of it.
Thank's for all of you for showing me proper picture of the situation. I don't know much about car's, that's why I always keep these breakdown cover Definitely, there was not any sign or message my car showed before this things happened.

I had only noise started coming out from the car while coming back from work, I drove a bit and it completely stopped working. I got advise to get independent adviser to check the parts as well (hopefully will not cost much as already paying about £500 to fix the car from Halfords).
kamranbaig

Thank's for all of you for showing me proper picture of the situation. I … Thank's for all of you for showing me proper picture of the situation. I don't know much about car's, that's why I always keep these breakdown cover Definitely, there was not any sign or message my car showed before this things happened. I had only noise started coming out from the car while coming back from work, I drove a bit and it completely stopped working. I got advise to get independent adviser to check the parts as well (hopefully will not cost much as already paying about £500 to fix the car from Halfords).

You've already had a bad experience with halfords , yet you're going back there , ermmm

hotukdeals.com/tag…510
Don't think any of us would let them do a job like this , use a local independant garage
kamranbaig

Thank's for all of you for showing me proper picture of the situation. I … Thank's for all of you for showing me proper picture of the situation. I don't know much about car's, that's why I always keep these breakdown cover Definitely, there was not any sign or message my car showed before this things happened. I had only noise started coming out from the car while coming back from work, I drove a bit and it completely stopped working. I got advise to get independent adviser to check the parts as well (hopefully will not cost much as already paying about £500 to fix the car from Halfords).

your first mistake was to continue driving after it started making noises

your second mistake was taking it to halfords! oO
My fault, I knew Halfords are not good and already having a bad experience with them before. But Halfords is one of the AA-breakdown recommended garage, I though it will be quick to get car fixed. Again bad experience with both of them....:(

As I told before, I don't know much about the car's, so I continued to drive the car but not too long and it stopped. I never had this problem before and no indication from car computerized system.
if you notice anything from your cars "norm" then investigate.

the AA wont be putting anything towards the repair will they? if not then avoid halfords, take it to a local garage get a quote for them providing the part and doing the fix and a quote for you providing the part and them putting it on the car.

sometimes cheaper buying your own parts
rjmjnlcfm

if you notice anything from your cars "norm" then investigate. the AA … if you notice anything from your cars "norm" then investigate. the AA wont be putting anything towards the repair will they? if not then avoid halfords, take it to a local garage get a quote for them providing the part and doing the fix and a quote for you providing the part and them putting it on the car. sometimes cheaper buying your own parts

AA is not paying anything for the repair. I asked Halfords that I don't need work to be done by their-self. And they came out with a bill of about £300 for the diagnose and Labour to put the stuff back (told me it's an hour's of job). Taking car to another garage is not good option if paying this huge bill without repair.

I am having no choice other than paying £488 for this repair...:(
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants