Groups

AAHHHHHHHHH PC HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Banned
    following on from my last post, i still cant get rid of this damn malware, so have decided to bite the bullet and wipe my hard drive and start again, :-( but when i try and install windows xp from disc it keeps saying that no hard drives can be found, any help anyone?

19 Comments

Do you have a Sata HDD by any chance?

Original Poster Banned

RedIron;5937083

Do you have a Sata HDD by any chance?

yeah i have two and they are both sata

you need to create an nlite install disk from your xp disk and your sata drivers disk combined.

Original Poster Banned

esq3585;5937116

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

many thanks for that will have a read over it tomorrow (too much info for this time of night) hope i can get it sorted many thanks again

also any other hints on how to do it would be great

good luck sorting it out tomorrow.
    SATA drives take longer to get upto speed and need that extra time before they are recognised by BIOS/Windows.
    Try to slow it down a bit, give your SATA drives more time to be recoginsed by changing the BIOS settings

What's your motherboard make & model, & do you have a floppy drive & at least one working floppy disk?

If yes, download the SATA drivers for your motherboard & copy them to the floppy (on another working PC of course!).

Place prepared floppy in drive of the PC that's going to have the fresh install.

During the initial install process, right at the start really, it'll say 'press F6 to load drivers' (or similar) at the bottom of the screen. This is the time to press the F6 key. A short while later, the chance to do this small & simple procedure to load the SATA drivers off the floppy arises. Follow it to completion.

The install should now find your drives & continue as normal to let you install the OS.

I've used nLite several times (to do several OS installs), but it's only unnecessary extra work & not really meant for a one-off install.

Any problems, just post again & we'll be glad to help.

Sorry it took a while to reply it's as above anyway unless you have a floppy drive?

I know I'll probably get slated for this, but you could always use ubuntu or another linux distro instead... obviously you would still need access to another PC to download the ISO file and burn to disc, but after you've installed it pretty much all the software is free (open source)
    I switched to ubuntu 9.04 after having a few too many probs with windows over the years and when vista began giving me login probs it was the last straw.... some things can be a pain to get the hang of at first, like how to install some program that has an .sh file instead of installing with debian, but you get the hang of it and there are plenty of guides and forums where you can get help. And for those "must have" windows progs you could always use WINE to run them instead... basically it's like a virtual machine embedded within linux that lets you run "most" windows progs with a little tweaking. Anyway, just offering you another option is all... good luck with it all.

[addition] - or you could also get hold of the RC of windows7 as well... that'd have support for SATA built in too.

[edit] - also some malware might not be gotten rid of by wiping/formatting the hard drive.... you should get a boot disc that has a malware/virus checker etc just in case... unless you're switching to ubuntu/linux in which case you should be ok to just install.
    hirens boot disc is pretty good for most things people should need hiren.info/pag…tcd

Linux is nice to experiment with on an occasional basis, & even run as a dual-boot with Windows, but it gives me a headache (quite literally!) otherwise. Imho, it has to be one of the most user-unfriendly OSes out there, & one has to be a bit of an 'enthusiast' to be able to cope with all its many quirks on a daily basis.

Anyway, let's respect the OP & not turn this into a 'which OS is better' thread :-D

Crossbow;5937388

Linux is nice to experiment with on an occasional basis, & even run as a … Linux is nice to experiment with on an occasional basis, & even run as a dual-boot with Windows, but it gives me a headache (quite literally!) otherwise. Imho, it has to be one of the most user-unfriendly OSes out there, & one has to be a bit of an 'enthusiast' to be able to cope with all its many quirks on a daily basis. Anyway, let's respect the OP & not turn this into a 'which OS is better' thread :-D

... just was offering him some options.. as for having to be an enthusiast to cope with linux you are very much mistaken, unless you haven't tried a linux distro in the past few years... I AM a quite knowledgeable PC enthusiast, but have no troubles with linux, save the odd problem with getting sound to work, although most things worked by default with linux to be honest, just plugged it in and ubuntu just asks if you want to find a driver/package to use the device. And with my wireless mouse/keyboard they just worked as soon as I'd booted - whereas with windows I had to download a driver and software etc.
    so not bad, compared to having many problems with windows most of the time even though that has been my main OS for around 20 years, LOL
    I also setup ubuntu on my brother's laptop for him, and he gets along with it fine... and he's a complete novice with computers.

anyway, all OS have their problems in one way or another.. as I said before, just offering an alternative to the OP

or you could also get hold of the RC of windows7 as well

I would do this should also be less malware prone than xp it will feel like an upgrade too

if the drives are not set in a raid option it may be possible to just change a bios setting, go into bios under integrated peripherals and look for sata mode, its prob set to raid or ahci, set it to ide and press f10 to save then install windows

maddogb;5940417

if the drives are not set in a raid option it may be possible to just … if the drives are not set in a raid option it may be possible to just change a bios setting, go into bios under integrated peripherals and look for sata mode, its prob set to raid or ahci, set it to ide and press f10 to save then install windows

Pretty sure you would still need XP to have the SATA drivers to recognise the drives... he must have am older version of XP.

paddy.stone;5943020

Pretty sure you would still need XP to have the SATA drivers to recognise … Pretty sure you would still need XP to have the SATA drivers to recognise the drives... he must have am older version of XP.

I have problems with xp pro SP2 version recognizing sata drives :thumbsup:

esq3585;5943762

I have problems with xp pro SP2 version recognizing sata drives :thumbsup:

Ahh I see, I may have been using my modified version of XP made with nlite.. my mistake, I thought they had cleared up the problem with SATA drivers in later versions of XP :oops:

Incase it helps anyone, I also had problems with sata ... but fixed it by doing the following:-
    When powering the pc on, the first thing the BIOS did was look for hard drives
    But the BIOS didnt find the SATA drives, becuase they were still powering up ( SATA takes longer to spin up and wont be ready until they have).

Some BIOS have a setting where you can set a delay in order to solve this, if not then changing the bootup sequence can help, ie make a floppy drive your first boot device, with the SATA drives next.
    Hope this helps someone with SATA problems :thumbsup:

paddy.stone;5943020

Pretty sure you would still need XP to have the SATA drivers to recognise … Pretty sure you would still need XP to have the SATA drivers to recognise the drives... he must have am older version of XP.

not at all, if fact i have installed windows 98 on a system like this, has nothing to do with the drive as the bios forces an emulation of ide using the sata interface, backward compatibility u see

Original Poster Banned

maddogb;5940417

if the drives are not set in a raid option it may be possible to just … if the drives are not set in a raid option it may be possible to just change a bios setting, go into bios under integrated peripherals and look for sata mode, its prob set to raid or ahci, set it to ide and press f10 to save then install windows

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH

THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT WORKED OUT OF ALL THE THINGS THAT I HAVE TRIED, YOU ARE A STAR

sorry for shouting im just happy its fixed :-)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?914
      2. Sad news about Barcelona26113
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764188
      4. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…11

See more discussions