Abandoned Burnt out car

Found 14th Sep 2017
About 3 weeks ago, a car was dumped near us and burnt out. It is on public land. Fire brigade attended and extinguished the fire, but nothing seems to have been done about removing it. So late last night I submitted an online report to the local police (which is what the local council website said is how it should be reported). A couple of automated responses last night (including that the local council had been informed), and then this morning the report has been closed. Apparently the car has not been abandoned, but has been "left at the location". For real? Am I missing something? Is this "normal"? Presumably no-one has any plans to do anything to remove the vehicle and its staying there permanently now? Who's responsible for it?

"The status of the abandoned vehicle report which

you submitted has changed, it's new status is:

Inquiries indicate that the vehicle has not been

abandoned and has been left at the location, this report has now been closed.

The process for dealing with an Abandoned vehicles will

not be swift and your patience is requested and appreciated as we have to

establish whether the vehicle is abandoned at all. This will involve various

computer checks and involve sending the registered keeper a warning letter

highlighting the report about their vehicle, there are also legislative

timescales which apply in most cases for the owner to come forward which we

have to adhere to.

Generally if the vehicle is found to still be insured and

taxed then it will not be considered abandoned. Insurance can still be

valid for a vehicle even though it might

not have tax and Mot. It is not an offence for a vehicle to not have a valid

mot if it is not being driven on the road.

If the vehicle does not have vehicle excise licence then

the DVLA need to be contacted. Please use the DVLA tax checker on the internet

to check this as it is now not a requirement to have one visible on a vehicle.

(gov.uk/che…tax)

If the vehicle has no MOT then please report via the

alternative OP Crackdown site (on the main screen to the website) and a warning

letter will be sent to the registered keeper. (webcontact.sussex.police.uk/asd…rs/)

If the circumstances change for the vehicle and you no longer

believe it to be abandoned please contact us so that we can update the

database.

Thank you for your co-operation and for taking the time

to submit this information to us."

2789645.jpg

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
16 Comments

Speak to local newspaper... councils are generally useless at their job.

I was going to suggest the local newspaper too.

Report it again.. on my local councils website you can anonymously report things like antisocial behaviour, noisy neighbours fly tipping... the list goes on. If I were you I'd see if your local councils website does that and report it multiple times.. and ask some else to. The council HAVE to act when more then a few complaints are received. When you do it annoymous you won't get an update on what's happening but then you could (after a anonymously reporting multiple times) report it as yourself again and leave your details.m then you should get an update as to what's happening. Good luck

It's in better shape than my first car.

davewave37 m ago

Speak to local newspaper... councils are generally useless at their job.

31981331-pglIG.jpg

fivegoldstars3 m ago

[Image]

so councils have had years to fit sprinklers in their blocks but on the whole haven't - 2% have done it!
Generally 2% would generally considered to be inadequate eh?

davewave4 m ago

so councils have had years to fit sprinklers in their blocks but on the …so councils have had years to fit sprinklers in their blocks but on the whole haven't - 2% have done it! Generally 2% would generally considered to be inadequate eh?

No, it means that 2% have exceeded the current regulatory requirements.
Good for them.
Edited by: "fivegoldstars" 14th Sep 2017

Looks better than some art sculptures.

.MUFC.5 m ago

Looks better than some art sculptures.

Agreed, our council spent a load of money putting ugly sculptures in the middle of roundabouts. Bloody labour numpties.

If it is confirmed (not assumed) as being on LA owned land - they can have it removed. I deal with abandoned cars all the time. The issue might be that there is an insurance company involved as it might be stolen.

Put a For Sale sign on it, someone is bound to steal it.

Your quickest way to get it sorted is to write something racist or homophobic on it and then report the disgusting message.
Edited by: "mastablasta" 14th Sep 2017

Sell it for scrap

They probably got in contact with the owner and they stated that it is "left at the location" and not abandoned.

moob15 h, 38 m ago

The issue might be that there is an insurance company involved as it might …The issue might be that there is an insurance company involved as it might be stolen.

This is probably the reason the council closed the case as it is the insurance company's responsibility for removal.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions