Groups

abc

abc

13 Comments

Mine updated yesterday, and is working ok. Don't have ZoneAlarm though.
    Nothing to do with the virus a few days ago on the ColourCatcher thread is it?

PS. Just looked at the link you provided. Obviously not the virus issue, but a flaw in ZA.

Mine did the same, I rolled mine back to the previous day and working fine. I know others have had the same problem without zonealarm.

Do you really need ZoneAlarm? I got rid of 3rd party firewalls from my computers after I tested XPs built in one on Shieldsup. Reported that my PC was in stealth mode. I know there is an issue about outgoing data, but I have never had a problem since using XP Firewall.

Yep, same here, but then this is what happens when Microsoft change their code and don't tell anyone.
    For the time being we have to leave the patch out.
    At least Zonealarm picked up the change of code, which in itself may have been a virus/trojan. More than can be said for most other security packages.

Jumpingphil;2496416

I personally don't know which is best.I have tended to go with the … I personally don't know which is best.I have tended to go with the general concensus of what I have read in computer press.My gut feeling is that ZA would be better than Microsft but I don't know for sure.

I understand. I have tried most of the free firewalls including ZA. When I saw the amount of system resources they were hogging, and the amount of attention I needed to give them, I got rid. My computers (4 of them) slowed down with ZA, but as soon as I uninstalled it, they ran much quicker.

Had no internet access after update.
    Solved by resetting Zonealarm firewall to medium. Now working ok.:whistling:

my pc updated and i have za and no problems so far"touch wood"

ian

Little thought for anyone still using ZoneAlarm - your PC runs slower with ZA due to its bloat, you get nagged more than you would with Microsoft's firewall, and, because the whole point of this update is to fix a security bug, by following the advise to not update, you've got a less secure system with ZA.

Start > Control panel > Add / Remove Programs > Zonealarm

Then go back to the control panel, double-click the Windows Firewall icon, and you can figure it out from there. Reboot, and enjoy your faster, more stable, less intrusive, and more secure OS. Yay.

Banned

No wonder i cant access the internet on my XP laptop!!!

i suggest you download comodo firewall from download.com.

Next best thing

Noticed this myself last night after a windows update. My browser just sat there for ages with a blank page trying to load google. I don't really know why but i turned zone alarm off just to see and hey presto my internet worked again.

BBC had a news story about it today which saved me the hassle of trying to work out what was wrong!

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

While on the subject is anyone else getting annoyed with the new AVG needing to restart your computer after every update? The old one never needed you to restart after an update!

Banned

biff;2496791

Noticed this myself last night after a windows update. My browser just … Noticed this myself last night after a windows update. My browser just sat there for ages with a blank page trying to load google. I don't really know why but i turned zone alarm off just to see and hey presto my internet worked again.BBC had a news story about it today which saved me the hassle of trying to work out what was wrong!http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7499260.stmWhile on the subject is anyone else getting annoyed with the new AVG needing to restart your computer after every update? The old one never needed you to restart after an update!

yeah. im getting rid of AVG, bloody annoying, its doing my head in. going to replace it with avast. miles better

Check Point promises ZoneAlarm fix today

Users advised to check firm's site

Written by Robert Jaques

vnunet.com, 10 Jul 2008

Overview : Microsoft Update KB951748 is known to cause loss of internet access for ZoneAlarm users on Windows XP/2000. Windows Vista users are not affected.

Impact : Sudden loss of internet access

Platforms Affected : ZoneAlarm Free, ZoneAlarm Pro, ZoneAlarm AntiVirus, ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware, and ZoneAlarm Security Suite

Recommended Actions -

Download and install the latest versions which solve the loss of internet access problem here:
    # ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite
    # ZoneAlarm Pro
    # ZoneAlarm Antivirus
    # ZoneAlarm Anti-Spyware
    # ZoneAlarm Basic Firewall
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …84142
      2. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043
      3. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1111
      4. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2748

See more discussions