Groups

Abdul Sattar Edhi birthday

The late philanthropist (of mammoth proportions) in a country which sorely needs social services.

14 Comments

Original Poster

Abdul Sattar Edhi ( 28 February 1928 – 8 July 2016) was a Pakistani philanthropist, ascetic, and humanitarian who founded the Edhi Foundation which runs hospitals, homeless shelters, rehab centres, and orphanages across Pakistan.

Born in Gujarat, British India, Edhi moved to Karachi where he established a free dispensary for Karachi's low-income residents. Edhi's charitable activities expanded in 1957 when an Asian flu epidemic swept through Karachi. Donations allowed him to buy his first ambulance the same year. He later expanded his charity network with the help of his wife Bilquis Edhi.

Over his lifetime, the Edhi Foundation expanded backed entirely with private donations including establishing a network of 1,800 minivan ambulances. By the time of his death Edhi was registered as a parent or guardian of nearly 20,000 children. He is known as Angel of Mercy and is considered to be Pakistan's "most respected" and legendary figure. In 2013, The Huffington Post claimed that he might be "the world's greatest living humanitarian."

Edhi maintained a hands-off management style and was often critical of the clergy and politicians. Edhi was a strong proponent of religious tolerance in Pakistan and extended support to the victims of Hurricane Katrina and 1985 famine in Ethiopia. Edhi has been nominated several times for the Nobel Peace Prize.

telegraph.co.uk/tec…cy/

Edited by: "davewave" 28th Feb

Happy birthday...?

Also on googles main page today

It's Ainsley Harriott's 60th today... Happy birthday to him too

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/food/ic/food_1x1_304/chefs/ainsley_harriott_1x1.jpg

Happy Birthday Abdul. Happy to celebrate your birthday and your achievements
    while you were on Earth.

Mr Edhi deserved a nobel peace prize more than most. This guy was fully devoted to saving lives and helping orphans and the needy. Yet he was very self-effacing. I once sat next to him at an airport. I didn't know who he was but someone with me recognised him and we shook hands.

Original Poster

radium

Mr Edhi deserved a nobel peace prize more than most. This guy was fully … Mr Edhi deserved a nobel peace prize more than most. This guy was fully devoted to saving lives and helping orphans and the needy. Yet he was very self-effacing. I once sat next to him at an airport. I didn't know who he was but someone with me recognised him and we shook hands.

​how was his hand?

davewave

​how was his hand?

​His hand was responsible for helping more people than any of these publicity seeking, overpaid celebs.

davewave

​how was his hand?

full house, no jokers

Rest in peace, a saint in every sense of the word, you left a legacy that will endure for as long as humans live on this planet

radium

​His hand was responsible for helping more people than any of these p … ​His hand was responsible for helping more people than any of these publicity seeking, overpaid celebs.

​And one more thing. His charity operates in various countries. edhiuk.org/act…ies

sowotsdis

Rest in peace, a saint in every sense of the word, you left a legacy that … Rest in peace, a saint in every sense of the word, you left a legacy that will endure for as long as humans live on this planet

''There is immense silent agony in the world, and the task of man is to be a voice for the plundered poor.'' Heshel.

This man's works were his voice.
    His works spoke volumes.
    Edited by: "tryn2help" 28th Feb

Original Poster

Try getting healthcare or even your post in Pakistan without paying a bribe, the poor suffer.

One man in the city of Multan sent a text saying police were demanding about $300 to register a case for him. A woman in Punjab's capital, Lahore, said hospital officials demanded bribes to allow relatives to visit patients.

huffingtonpost.com/huf…wn/

Banned

that's nice of you Davy boy to post something nice.
    I wasn't aware he started charity back in the 50s . I must have heard about him 10 years ago when I saw a appeal on TV.

rip legend. you saved so many poor people's lives.

now we have seen so many charities open which we can't trust.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Marketing punch Cadbury tester11
      2. How much would I get for iPhone 6S 64gb rose gold unlocked like new conditi…33
      3. Which Mobile Network?22
      4. How to cancel Sky subscription44

See more discussions