Expired

ABS light stays on after front and back brakes replaced

Found 12th Oct 2014
My front and back brakes were replaced during the MOT last week by my local garage on our Vauxhall Zafira.

When I took it home, I noticed that the ABS light stays on and think it must be related to the job they did on replacing the brakes.

Anyone knows if this is related or not to the brake replacement?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Sounds like they have damaged either one of the ABS sensors or the ABS rings. Take it straight back to them
Well, there is an ABS sensor.

If the light has suddenly come on, I would talk to the people who put your pads/shoes for sure!
markvirgo

Sounds like they have damaged either one of the ABS sensors or the ABS … Sounds like they have damaged either one of the ABS sensors or the ABS rings. Take it straight back to them

Beat me to it!
Does the car judder when you drive it ? Sometimes a loose gator can upset the abs sensor
kester76

Does the car judder when you drive it ? Sometimes a loose gator can upset … Does the car judder when you drive it ? Sometimes a loose gator can upset the abs sensor

not noticed anything different in the car braking system just the light won't go off.
mutley1

not noticed anything different in the car braking system just the light … not noticed anything different in the car braking system just the light won't go off.

Get it sorted right away, all repairs are covered and you need to be sure the abs works. It's not up to you to prove the problem it's up to them.
They should fix as it wasnt there when you took it there. I had one once and itwas justbecause some dirt had got on it, quick clean and done so hope its just as easyas tht for u !
Remember abs light is an mot fail now I believe so they shouldn't have passed the car
barrel24

Remember abs light is an mot fail now I believe so they shouldn't have … Remember abs light is an mot fail now I believe so they shouldn't have passed the car

good to know. i did not know that.
Abs warning lights dont go off on their own , you need a reset diagnostics tool. If you have had the brakes bled the abs pump may need bleeding, other than that it should only be a sensor, you'll only know when somebody resets it and returns the fault code.
One of the sensor cables as probably been disturbed and come loose. Cheap diagnostic readers probably won't give you the error code, ABS module is separate from the ECU and usually require manufacturer specific code readers.

I think you should talk to the garage and see what they have to say as they have probably caused the fault and should try to rectify it or at least tell you what is at fault, They'll probably have excess to a diagnostics machine.

However I'm not sure I'd trust a garage that has caused the issue and passed the MOT as it should be a failure and they should test drive them after changing the brakes.

First thing I'd do is check the connectors all round and clean them with electrical contact cleaner.

It will probably cost around £40 to have diagnosed, Then the price of the specific faulty sensor.

If you can't have it diagnosed then you could replace each sensor one by one, The light will go off itself when the issue as been cured ( After a short drive ).

Edited by: ".MUFC." 13th Oct 2014
In my experience, when fault lights come on they don't go off on their own without being plugged into some form of computer.

Take it back to whoever did the repairs and get them to sort it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions