Abuse of NHS Staff

Posted 1st Apr
My wife works in the offices of a North West London Hospital. Over the last few weeks she & her colleagues have unfortunately been phoning patients to cancel operations. I cannot believe the abuse they get. Sorry, I can believe it, this has been happening for years. They don't seem to care about the need for resources to be used for the virus. Some people think they are more important.

I'm lucky I recently finished chemo & radiotherapy for Cancer of the oesophagus. I was supposed to have a stent removed, but I don't expect this to happen any time soon.
I am also on immuno suppression drugs for the Renal Transplant I had 14 years ago
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
We have seen people arguing over bottles of water in Te.co..... these people do not understand they have an effing tap at home, so it does not surprise me.

Tell your wife she is fantastic, I appreciate all she is doing. Look after yourself.
One abusing anyone is too many.
splender01/04/2020 21:00

How many out of 100 patients abuse over the phone?

Edited by: "eslick" 1st Apr
15 Comments
I dont no about abusing over the phone as there just a receptionist but its the state of the nhs in general people have been to several appointments seeing different people at hospitals only to have operations treatment cancelled and to be discharged bk to there gp surely if there cancelling things there should be something arranged not just discharged to gp im talking about operations and stuff people not being able to get prescribed medicated i can understand while people are peed off and taking out there frustrations but she cant be taking it personal
Yes disgusting...had an appointment with ENT they rang me to cancel and when i said “no problem totally understandable” she just seemed shocked
I can believe it, people are worried, stressed, desperate and scared. All of those bring out the worst in people and the NHS are the frontline dealing with all manor of issues as well as balancing their own issues and concerns.

Personally I'd love the NHS to be able to just hangup or play a siren down the line and force the caller's to behave but would never happen.
We have seen people arguing over bottles of water in Te.co..... these people do not understand they have an effing tap at home, so it does not surprise me.

Tell your wife she is fantastic, I appreciate all she is doing. Look after yourself.
Everyone gets abuse same how retail workers get abuse or McDonald's staff, Some more than others it's a continuous cycle that won't change and then there are some rubbish workers and if you worked for a big enough employer you will find they exist everywhere you probably working with them right now but they are never spoken of and this cycle will also continue.
If you are really ill or vulnerable, the last place you should want to be at the moment is at a hospital. If these operations weren't cancelled, some of them would catch this coronavirus and probably die.
I don't know how many out of 100 give out abuse. In reality probably not a lot.
"She's just a receptionist" apart from arranging appointments, who do you think, makes sure there is space in the operating theatre list? who orders the parts for say a hip operation? I think there is too much admin in the NHS, but Doctor's & Nurses don't organise these sort of things.
Now days, if you DNA (do not attend) a booked appointment, they will ask why, excuses, I had to take my kids to school, it was raining, he's out of the country, one person told my wife, he was in Iran & only came back for his Cancer treatment. Even though an appointment has been booked for months. IF they don't have a valid reason for missing an appointment, they get sent back to the GP so they have to be referred again. Mind you it can't have been that important.
The reality is, that operations are being cancelled, otherwise, there will be no facilities to deal with people with the virus.
tamoil01/04/2020 21:41

If you are really ill or vulnerable, the last place you should want to be …If you are really ill or vulnerable, the last place you should want to be at the moment is at a hospital. If these operations weren't cancelled, some of them would catch this coronavirus and probably die.

You are probably right, putting up with the discomfort of having a stent, is better than going to hospital.

Really can't help yourself can you.
Wow
One abusing anyone is too many.

Edited by: "eslick" 1st Apr
Can understand both sides. No one wants to be spoken to like that but some peopleihht have been waiting months for a certain operation or appointment. If it starts to get to her she needs to change jobs!
You are in pain 24 7 waiting for surgery and someone phones up to cancel you may snap. Shoot the messenger I guess. No it's not right but understandable. Guess that's life but for some it's too late by the time they get on slab.
bubblegum291001/04/2020 21:53

I don't know how many out of 100 give out abuse. In reality probably not a …I don't know how many out of 100 give out abuse. In reality probably not a lot."She's just a receptionist" apart from arranging appointments, who do you think, makes sure there is space in the operating theatre list? who orders the parts for say a hip operation? I think there is too much admin in the NHS, but Doctor's & Nurses don't organise these sort of things. Now days, if you DNA (do not attend) a booked appointment, they will ask why, excuses, I had to take my kids to school, it was raining, he's out of the country, one person told my wife, he was in Iran & only came back for his Cancer treatment. Even though an appointment has been booked for months. IF they don't have a valid reason for missing an appointment, they get sent back to the GP so they have to be referred again. Mind you it can't have been that important. The reality is, that operations are being cancelled, otherwise, there will be no facilities to deal with people with the virus.

I too work for the NHS however I work clinically. I can completely appreciate your frustration and I hope your wife is well and dealing ok with the expectation on her but I also hope you realise the details you are revealing here such as the gentleman’s excuse for his DNA are in breech of data protection. Your wife should have never told you those details and you could be risking your wife’s position. Just keep it in mind. Be well.
Edited by: "karenhart" 2nd Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions