Abusing promotional codes- is it an illegal act of fraud?

If you break a websites Terms of Use are you committing an illegal act of fraud and if so what might the penalty be?

For example, you use a promotional discount code on a website to get £5 off your order. The Terms of Use state that you may only use this code one time only. However, you use the code again a second or third time.

Is it the websites responsibility to make sure you dont breach their terms of use? If you were to break it, would you be breaking the law and if so, what might the penalty be? Simply pay back the £5? Or go to jail?

15 Comments

Or go to jail?

Internet = Serious Business

They'll chop off yer hands so that you will not be able to use a keyboard again............................ honest.

seriously though who giz a crap?

Most websites do stop users from entering the same code twice. However, some get round this by using different e-mail addresses. Surely if you got found out, you would have to pay the cost of the discount you received? Thats my guess anyway

I did 3 months in jail for abusing Marks and Spencer's free delivery codes last year

Surely once it's on the net it's in the public domain and thus open to all?

Otherwise they'd just create user-specific codes...

My advice, if you can't do yhe time, don't do the crime!

boothy;5492693

I did 3 months in jail for abusing Marks and Spencer's free delivery … I did 3 months in jail for abusing Marks and Spencer's free delivery codes last year

seriously????

czar.nik;5492965

seriously????

yes,even though it was an open prison it was really bad........I have learnt my lesson will never use codes again

haha idiots

boothy;5492693

I did 3 months in jail for abusing Marks and Spencer's free delivery … I did 3 months in jail for abusing Marks and Spencer's free delivery codes last year

i lol'd hard boothy mate nice one!

boothy;5492693

Why such a light sentence?

I had to spend 8 months behind bars for using a code which was only meant to be used for Uni students. £5 off i think it was

Got hit with a £80 fine aswell

Bad times

czar.nik;5492965

seriously????

Oh my gosh - I so can't believe you just said that
http://openbytes.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/vicky_pollard_398833a.jpg

Banned

I got 85 days community service its nothing really. Well worth the £50 saving.

Is it only me who got life sentence for using tesc0 vouchers?:x

:-D:-D:-D

Banned

Marina;5494192

Is it only me who got life sentence for using tesc0 vouchers?:x

You're supposed to claim insanity, that'll teach you for using a Tesco value law firm
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I banned myself from HUKD for 3m, I saved so much money!2642
    2. Thousands of minimum wage workers to receive part of £2,000,000 compensatio…44
    3. Weekly game codes giveaway 183722
    4. How much would you pay for this chair?1214

See more discussions