Accepting a one off card Payment

Found 7th Apr 2015
I need an easy way to accept a one off card payment, I have all the details (Name, Card No. Account No, Sort Code, CVV, Expiry date).

Anyone able to recommend anything?
Community Updates
AskCard
22 Comments
Paypal
How would I send the payment through Paypal? The card belongs to a customer so how would I process the payment?
izettle. they give free card machines, but take 2.75% and might take some time to receive/set up. think they also do cardholder not present
other options are - paypal invoice, they can pay online securely by card
PPG, BT, paym which are all free but not quite card payments
DennisG

izettle. they give free card machines, but take 2.75% and might take some … izettle. they give free card machines, but take 2.75% and might take some time to receive/set up. think they also do cardholder not presentother options are - paypal invoice, they can pay online securely by cardPPG, BT, paym which are all free but not quite card payments

Izettle free machine is only for business users. To get your free Card Reader Lite: Create an iZettle account for your business, order a card reader, and connect your bank account within 7 days. (The offer is not available for individuals.) They also cannot do "cardholder not present" payments.

OP you could try Barclays Pingit. Get the person to send the payment to you via their mobile
barclays.co.uk/Mob…446

Edited by: "artnada" 7th Apr 2015
ok. if it's a business transaction, bear in mind that you don't have to be a registered company. e.g. if you did some plumbing for them, that counts as business, whether you are joe bloggs the man or joe bloggs plumbsters ltd
pingit is closely linked to paym, but paym is better/bigger as it works with numerous other banks too. still not rolled out to all the banks, and frustratingly underused by the general population. it should be the standard way to transfer money by now!!

anyway OP - a bit more info regarding the flexibility? does it have to be card payment?
OK I'm in a bit of a messed up situation, and admittedly it is my fault.

I sell customised handmade products at my shop. Now I created the item and popped out and left the Mrs at the shop. English isn't her first language, but looks like the customer took the item and left their credit card details. The details themselves seem complete but I know it looks like I've been had.

So, ideally I don't want to be buying credit card terminals etc. But I need to know if this person has scammed me or not.
do you have the customers name and address? Probably best to contact them directly. Also, ask your wife why she let a customer go without paying.
Yeah I have the name and telephone number. Called them and they seem to think it's ok to give us their credit card details even if we don't accept card payments.
Buyer is still liable to pay. worst case scenario, the credit card information is a promise to pay of sorts, so depending on value, small claims court could be an option.

If buyer refuses to pay, send an invoice for goods or request a return within 7 days.
Is there anyway I can use the information to buy for example Amazon gift cards (of the same value as the order) again, just to see if it works. If it does I can maybe explain to them that this was the only way I was getting my money.
Without their address, my options are limited.
no, this is not authorisation to use the card for other purchases. that would constitute fraud, even if technically it's fair reparations.

you could always call them and inform them you're having issues with the card payment, and if they could find an alternative method, that would be really handy. an honest customer would help, even if it inconveniences them somewhat. without the address, you can't accept payment anyway i don't think.

sidenote: have you thought about accepting cards?
i don't carry much cash and am skeptical about shops that won't accept cards
do you have reasons as to why not? for many shops, the cost of accepting them is somewhat offset by the reduced cash handling fees/banking fees/security risk
if you don't generally want to accept cash, why not get a card reader a la izettle/worldpay zinc/paypal here/payleven? costs max 2.75% and can be used only in emergencies such as this. no on-going costs, and no risk of losing customers who are frightened off by not accepting card.
if your volume is bigger, you can think about a merchant account
I've signed up to services that let me process a card payment, but they want to do credit checks etc. that take atleast a few days.

Like I said, they seem to think it's ok to give me their details even if we don't accept card payments.

We've been running our shop for literally two weeks, so that's the reason we don't accept card payments.
Zak_K

I've signed up to services that let me process a card payment, but they … I've signed up to services that let me process a card payment, but they want to do credit checks etc. that take atleast a few days.Like I said, they seem to think it's ok to give me their details even if we don't accept card payments. We've been running our shop for literally two weeks, so that's the reason we don't accept card payments.

I would call them back and ask for their home address. Then state you don't accept payment by credit card and you need the payment in cash. Obviously you don't want to get a bad reputation but that's unacceptable.

It is also unacceptable for you to use their credit card even with permission. That would be fraud.
OP if you sell things in a shop get an iZettle card machine. I have had one since July last year for my taxi and it is amazing how many customers appreciate the convenience.

There are no monthly fees, only 2.75% of any payments taken. So, e.g. a £9.50 card payment will incur a 26pence fee, which is automatically take from the £9.50 before you get it. If you want, you could tell the customer there is a small 50p fee for paying by card. (I've not had one customer moan about that...ever).

The money is paid direct into your nominated bank account in a 2 or 3 days after car payment. You get an online account, use of an app that will work with Android/iPhone and you can see all transactions and fees etc.

It's so easy, I've never looked back. Best thing I ever did. And I PAID £60 for my machine, before the free one was around!

Zak_K

How would I send the payment through Paypal? The card belongs to a … How would I send the payment through Paypal? The card belongs to a customer so how would I process the payment?

Sorry with the information I had I thought you had someone that wanted to pay you with their credit card not that they left the card details and already took the item. There is actually no legal way for you to take payment now without their help. Although they left credit card details as at the time you were not authorised to take a credit card you cannot take payment now even if you get a card machine.
The iZettle is the one that plugs into your phone / tablet right?

How do your customers find it? I'd be wary of putting my pin number into a device that's plugged into a phone - but if it already works then I can't argue.
Zak_K

The iZettle is the one that plugs into your phone / tablet right?How do … The iZettle is the one that plugs into your phone / tablet right?How do your customers find it? I'd be wary of putting my pin number into a device that's plugged into a phone - but if it already works then I can't argue.

You can have that one or pay for the other that is independent of the phone but the app is on the phone. It works extremely well, and as I said, all my customers are very impressed by the technology. They even get a receipt emailed to them should they so wish...which impresses them even more

Well worth the £60 I paid.

Mine is like http://www.bankingtech.com/files/2013/02/iZettle_S3_CoP_int_large.jpg

Would it be easier just to ask the customer to make a bank transfer, easy and free
why not just use paym? Sign up on your bank ask the customer if they have then all you need to do is give your phone number to them and they can pay on their online banking using your phone number
artnada

OP if you sell things in a shop get an iZettle card machine. I have had … OP if you sell things in a shop get an iZettle card machine. I have had one since July last year for my taxi and it is amazing how many customers appreciate the convenience. There are no monthly fees, only 2.75% of any payments taken. So, e.g. a £9.50 card payment will incur a 26pence fee, which is automatically take from the £9.50 before you get it. If you want, you could tell the customer there is a small 50p fee for paying by card. (I've not had one customer moan about that...ever). The money is paid direct into your nominated bank account in a 2 or 3 days after car payment. You get an online account, use of an app that will work with Android/iPhone and you can see all transactions and fees etc. It's so easy, I've never looked back. Best thing I ever did. And I PAID £60 for my machine, before the free one was around!

oh my god!!!!!!! how many nights have I had to get a taxi from an unknown place to mine, no idea where there was a cashpoint....
ive ended up grateful to see one of those "this machine will charge you £2.49" things....
I'd pay the 50p with a heart and a half.
no fear of not havi g the cash, or getting mugged at a cashpoint...
no fear for the driver that youll leg it..
If you want to take card payments immediately, your best option will likely be the Paypal Here app.

1. create a free Paypal Business account and link your business bank account and debit card to it
2. install the Paypal Here app on an Android or Apple tablet/phone
3. sign into Paypal Here and it should allow you to take a manual payment by typing in the card details

Notice: For security reasons Paypal will withhold the manual payment/parts of it for up to 30days. If the customer doesn't challenge the charge to their card within 30days, the withheld amount will become available to spend/transfer into your bank account.

If you decide to order the Paypal card reader and charge a card via Chip and Pin, such payments will be become available to you immediately and in full.

I have had my Paypal card reader for a year now, and it works great for those occasional card payments.

Hope this helps
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 7th Apr 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants