Expired

Accepting Paypal on Gumtree

23 replies
Found 11th Dec 2014
Hi Folks, I've got a PS4 game on Gumtree forsale, I have it for local collection, however someone has messaged me and would like me to post it.

He's willing to cover postage costs.

However whats the score with seller protection, I plan to send the game recorded delivery, would I be covered?

Thanks

23 Comments

I think PayPal covers you no matter what now. Its no longer limited to eBay. Check out their buyers/sellers protection terms.

To my knowledge Gumtree don't offer seller protection. I would steer clear

Paypal will offer protection as long as it's not paid ppg (afaik)

If you go ahead of it make sure you keep proof of purchase and only send it to the address specified on paypal. Probably best to record/picture the package to make sure he doesn't try making something up later on. Paypal is good to buyers but rubbish for sellers!

I'd avoid doing this at all costs as a seller.

Unless they pay via PayPal Gift.

Original Poster

Thanks guys, I'm leaning towards not doing this, can you request the money as a gift or does the buyer have to mark it as gift before sending it?

Banned

Dont do it

Your covered if you ONLY

1. Send it to a Verified Paypal Address, - it must be verified.

2. Send via trackable postal method and keep proof of postage and get a signature upon delivery.

3. I would also send an invoice and do not use PPG.

but.. i agree with bazza its not worth it, you will sell it no matter what dont take the risk.
Edited by: "haritori" 11th Dec 2014

Valuable items should be sent by Special Delivery not Recorded Delivery in all circumstances.

Get them to do a bank transfer even pay pal gifts can be reversed by the nefarious.
Edited by: "arachnoid" 11th Dec 2014

Original Poster

Thanks everyone I've decided not to bother, I did offer bank transfer but he said he's not covered then.

I've already told him that I have it on ebay anyway given that it's priced a little more because of ebay fees but he's not going for the ebay option

Hull-Tommo

I'd avoid doing this at all costs as a seller.Unless they pay via PayPal … I'd avoid doing this at all costs as a seller.Unless they pay via PayPal Gift.

Unless PPG ! I think you've got it the wrong way round

rogparki

Unless PPG ! I think you've got it the wrong way round

Everyone on here generally request PPG. Not that I've sold anything for a while.

Hull-Tommo

I'd avoid doing this at all costs as a seller.Unless they pay via PayPal … I'd avoid doing this at all costs as a seller.Unless they pay via PayPal Gift.

Don't use PayPal gift as you won't have seller protection

Hull-Tommo

Everyone on here generally request PPG. Not that I've sold anything for a … Everyone on here generally request PPG. Not that I've sold anything for a while.

Maybe as a seller to be fair - as it cant be reversed - never as a buyer

So for future reference, is anyone protected when using PPG ?

Hull-Tommo

So for future reference, is anyone protected when using PPG ?

Nope.

Also, if you buy something with paypal (gift or goods) and the person deletes the ad (facebook for instance). You're screwed. If there's a problem and you can't prove the listing existed, you won't get refunded

As a seller, whats the difference between sending an invoice or getting PPG? Can the buyer still claim back the money either way?

blackster

Thanks everyone I've decided not to bother, I did offer bank transfer but … Thanks everyone I've decided not to bother, I did offer bank transfer but he said he's not covered then.I've already told him that I have it on ebay anyway given that it's priced a little more because of ebay fees but he's not going for the ebay option

Yeah he's not covered, meaning he can't get his cash back if he decides to screw you over.

This is a pretty common scam on Gumtree. I've sold a few expensive things on there and despite stating cash and collection only, almost every time I get some numpty wanting me to post it to god knows where. I've never gone for it, but I can only imagine if I did, they'd claim it never turned up and I'd have no protection.

While it could be genuine, if they really wanted it, they'd be happy to use eBay as that also protects him. Its not that much more.

borito

As a seller, whats the difference between sending an invoice or getting … As a seller, whats the difference between sending an invoice or getting PPG? Can the buyer still claim back the money either way?

I'm not 100%, but I'm pretty sure that even if someone gifts you a payment, and their PayPal is linked to a credit card (not paid from a paypal balance from funds) then they can use the visa chargeback policy to claim it back from you

CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY PLEASE. ANY REQUESTS WILL BE DECLINED!

Just what is running through my mind

Google Gumtree paypal scams, dont risk it.

Simples, say you will only accept bank transfer if posting the item. You'll be surprised how many people are willing to pay by that means providing you offer them reassurance!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Advice on selling an iPhone?67
    2. Best way to get to Alton towers from north west, or by train, coach etc11
    3. How to switch between open apps on an Android box22
    4. I have a pretty old sky router and the power lead needs replacing, is it li…79

See more discussions