Accessing data from unformatted memory card PLZ HELP

Found 1st Dec 2017
I used a new 64gb memory card in Lenovo p2 without formatting it. Later I sold the Lenovo as it was a bit heavy and kept my memory card which had lots of photos from abroad.

Later I inserted it in Huawei p8 lite but I can't access the data, rather it gives me the option of formatting the memory card. I tried in different phone, all says the same.

Is there anyway I can access the data? I read around but can't find any info relating to retrieving data from unformatted memory card.

Plz help

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
28 Comments

You can't store data on a storage device without a filesystem (i.e. an unformatted one). It's either formatted in the default file system it came with or the P2 silently formatted it without telling you.

Do you have a PC of any description? I'm not sure what analysis tools are available on Android.

Access the microSD card via a PC then drag and drop everything on there. Once copied everything over, stick the microSD card into your P8 lite and format the card ready for use.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 1st Dec 2017

Original Poster

RiverDragon835 m ago

Access the microSD card via a PC then drag and drop everything on there. …Access the microSD card via a PC then drag and drop everything on there. Once copied everything over, stick the microSD card into your P8 lite and format the card ready for use.

I tried it. When I put the SD card in mobile and connect it with USB cable, the SD card doesn't show up on the pc. The mobile memory shows up by not the SD card.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves1 h, 52 m ago

You can't store data on a storage device without a filesystem (i.e. an …You can't store data on a storage device without a filesystem (i.e. an unformatted one). It's either formatted in the default file system it came with or the P2 silently formatted it without telling you. Do you have a PC of any description? I'm not sure what analysis tools are available on Android.

Yes, I have access to pc with Windows. Also have chrome book too.

Go in your setting on your phone and select usb debugging if you're going to connect a phone via USB to your PC. Another way is to use a card reader or usb card reader click.

If you had the memory adopted ( where the OS "merges" the external and the device then shows one lump of memory) in your previous phone it will have encrypted the card and it can only be accessed by placing back into the device that it was adopted in to. This was a feature from Android M onwards.
Example below talking around the pro's and con's of using adopted storage, refers to your scenario in under the con's.

SD card encryption
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 1st Dec 2017

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts30 m ago

If you had the memory adopted ( where the OS "merges" the external and the …If you had the memory adopted ( where the OS "merges" the external and the device then shows one lump of memory) in your previous phone it will have encrypted the card and it can only be accessed by placing back into the device that it was adopted in to. This was a feature from Android M onwards.Example below talking around the pro's and con's of using adopted storage, refers to your scenario in under the con's.SD card encryption

But is there any way of accessing the data from the memory card without the original handset present?
There must be a way around this. I didn't know about formatting so I start using the card, later realised that not only me devices can't read the card but also the micro SD card doesn't show up in the pc

Original Poster

RiverDragon84 h, 16 m ago

Go in your setting on your phone and select usb debugging if you're going …Go in your setting on your phone and select usb debugging if you're going to connect a phone via USB to your PC. Another way is to use a card reader or usb card reader click.

Thank you for the link.
But strange thing is that when I put the memory card in the phone and then connect it to pc, the card doesn't show up in pc. So would the USB adapter work?

urinthematrix9 m ago

But is there any way of accessing the data from the memory card without …But is there any way of accessing the data from the memory card without the original handset present?There must be a way around this. I didn't know about formatting so I start using the card, later realised that not only me devices can't read the card but also the micro SD card doesn't show up in the pc

Not that any has figured out yet. Which strictly speaking you wouldn't think they would since encryption by its very nature is to prevent the data being accessed outside of the device it was encrypted in. Did you not have all photos syncing to your Google photo account?

Reddit post explaining it all.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 1st Dec 2017

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts47 m ago

Not that any has figured out yet. Which strictly speaking you wouldn't …Not that any has figured out yet. Which strictly speaking you wouldn't think they would since encryption by its very nature is to prevent the data being accessed outside of the device it was encrypted in. Did you not have all photos syncing to your Google photo account?Reddit post explaining it all.

unfortunately no, i didnt back up the pics. I was not that tech savvy but now i synchronise all my pics with google photo.
i just put the card in another mobile, its reading 'unsupported SD card'

Just buy that usb card adapter and your problem is solved.

Original Poster

termite8 h, 52 m ago

Recuva found a lot of stuff for me, LINK

hmmm just wondering if it will recover data from unformatted memory card
Edited by: "urinthematrix" 1st Dec 2017

Why would it? your data isn't lost, it was bad advice asking you to use Recuva. Even if you wanted to use Recuva you need a usb card reader to read your microSD card right?

Original Poster

RiverDragon85 h, 21 m ago

Go in your setting on your phone and select usb debugging if you're going …Go in your setting on your phone and select usb debugging if you're going to connect a phone via USB to your PC. Another way is to use a card reader or usb card reader click.

just tried USB debugging (tried on google chromebook and not PC, would this make adifference?)- not working.

So you got a chromebook??? What happens when you put your microSD card in a card reader?? Just buy an usb card reader.
32624589-YdZb4.jpg

RiverDragon821 m ago

So you got a chromebook??? What happens when you put your microSD card in …So you got a chromebook??? What happens when you put your microSD card in a card reader?? Just buy an usb card reader.[Image]

The only way this card can be read is from being placed back into the original device that encrypted the card. Is another workaround by gaining the key from the original device but again the original device is needed.

cecilmcroberts3 m ago

The only way this card can be read is from being placed back into the …The only way this card can be read is from being placed back into the original device that encrypted the card. Is another workaround by gaining the key from the original device but again the original device is needed.

I disagree, I think if you put the microSD card in a usb card reader then your PC should read it.

RiverDragon84 m ago

I disagree, I think if you put the microSD card in a usb card reader then …I disagree, I think if you put the microSD card in a usb card reader then your PC should read it.

Read the several million posts regarding encryption from adopted storage. Only way is the original device or the encryption key gained from the original device. Also pulling an encrypted card from the device can also corrupt the card and the device also. Several cards are showing high failure rates also when being used as adoptive storage. Another good reason why the likes of Google and even Apple also steer clear of expandable memory dispite being slated for it at times.

cecilmcroberts12 m ago

Read the several million posts regarding encryption from adopted storage. …Read the several million posts regarding encryption from adopted storage. Only way is the original device or the encryption key gained from the original device. Also pulling an encrypted card from the device can also corrupt the card and the device also. Several cards are showing high failure rates also when being used as adoptive storage. Another good reason why the likes of Google and even Apple also steer clear of expandable memory dispite being slated for it at times.

The reason Apple stay well clear of expandable memory is because of $$$$$$$ right??? Even if the card is encrypted what would be the first thing you would do to check if it was or not?? Me personally I would access the card via usb card reader on my PC or in this case use a card reader in his chromebook, you're just ignoring all the basic things you would do.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 2nd Dec 2017

Just a thought but have you checked the photos haven't synced to your google account?

Original Poster

RiverDragon813 h, 7 m ago

So you got a chromebook??? What happens when you put your microSD card in …So you got a chromebook??? What happens when you put your microSD card in a card reader?? Just buy an usb card reader.[Image]

I have tried this in the past but doesn't when, I will try it again in a while and update you.

Original Poster

Uridium2 h, 4 m ago

Just a thought but have you checked the photos haven't synced to your …Just a thought but have you checked the photos haven't synced to your google account?

Sadly I didn't set this up. I wasn't aware of Google account sync, but now I am aware. But looks like I am a bit late to save my pics

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts12 h, 49 m ago

The only way this card can be read is from being placed back into the …The only way this card can be read is from being placed back into the original device that encrypted the card. Is another workaround by gaining the key from the original device but again the original device is needed.

OMG I hope you are not 100% right... I am just hoping there might be a way to access the pics

Original Poster

urinthematrix2 h, 55 m ago

I have tried this in the past but doesn't when, I will try it again in a …I have tried this in the past but doesn't when, I will try it again in a while and update you.

I have just put the microSD card in an USB adapter and inserted into a PC. I am getting this ' You need to format the disk in drive E before you can use it. Do you want to format it now?'

Also tried putting the SD card in another phone, connected it to PC via usb cable- the PC doesnt show the SD card. It only shows the phone's internal memory.
Edited by: "urinthematrix" 2nd Dec 2017

Maybe your card reader is dodgy, not all SD card readers read all SD cards........

urinthematrix3 h, 56 m ago

I have just put the microSD card in an USB adapter and inserted into a PC. …I have just put the microSD card in an USB adapter and inserted into a PC. I am getting this ' You need to format the disk in drive E before you can use it. Do you want to format it now?'Also tried putting the SD card in another phone, connected it to PC via usb cable- the PC doesnt show the SD card. It only shows the phone's internal memory.

You can't put the sd card in another phone then connect to the PC via usb. You said you have a chromebook right? What happens when you put that sd card in an adapter and put it into your chromebook, does it read the card?
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 2nd Dec 2017

As a last resort, you could ask the buyer if he would insert it into the phone and upload the photos for you

Original Poster

chocci2nd Dec

As a last resort, you could ask the buyer if he would insert it into the …As a last resort, you could ask the buyer if he would insert it into the phone and upload the photos for you

that did come to my mind, I will have to go thru one of my old phone LG G2 to check if i still have his number/texts.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions