Accidental Damage Cover?

Found 16th Mar
Was just looking for some advice, as I've never bought accidental damage cover before.

Brief background; I am looking to buy myself an Apple Watch and found out how much it was to replace a smashed screen (approx £225). From there, I looked at getting AppleCare but I saw that it cost £60 + £50 excess and was only possible for 2 repairs.

Given that the price of an Apple Watch is generally fixed, I started looking at buying from other retailers. I've nailed them down to Argos and John Lewis.

Argos' accidental damage cover costs £63 for 2 years, so about on par with AppleCare, however:

SO, WHAT'S INCLUDED?

• Immediate accidental damage cover
  • Unlimited repairs of your product

AND WHAT'S NOT INCLUDED?

• Loss, theft, cosmetic and deliberate damage
  • Breakdown or accidental damage covered by another guarantee or warranty

Does this mean hypothetically, I could smash it everyday and get it repaired for free?

Similarly, John Lewis offer a similar 2 year added care but only for £40.

Accidental damage
If your product is damaged accidentally, Added Care means you won’t have to pay for repairs.

New for old replacement
If we can’t repair your product, we’ll arrange for it to be replaced with one of the same make and model up to the original purchase price. Or, when not available, one of a similar specification.

No excess
If your product is accidentally damaged and you need to make a claim, there are no excess charges to pay and it won’t affect your home or travel insurance policies.

Worldwide cover
Your product is covered for accidental damage outside the UK for a total of up to 30 days in any 12 month period.

Collection or at-home repairs
Depending on the product, we’ll either collect it by courier for repair or arrange a call-out by one of our technicians.

What would be the best option to go for?

Sorry for the long post, never dealt with these sorts of things before!

Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
Check to see if the insurer wants permission to claim from your household policy if the item is covered.

Never overlook that a claim is a claim is a claim. And claims affect premiums. Lying about not claiming affects premiums and cover.

Somethings are not worth buying. I have accidental cover on my household policy with an excess of £350. CHeck if your household policy will cover accidental damage to it.

Also try Domestic & General direct
ccnp3 m ago

Check to see if the insurer wants permission to claim from your household …Check to see if the insurer wants permission to claim from your household policy if the item is covered.Never overlook that a claim is a claim is a claim. And claims affect premiums. Lying about not claiming affects premiums and cover.Somethings are not worth buying. I have accidental cover on my household policy with an excess of £350. CHeck if your household policy will cover accidental damage to it.Also try Domestic & General direct

Thanks for that, completely overlooked the claims part of it, doh!
Can't remember what the excess is on my policy, but if its similar to yours, I would only be claiming for £9

Will do, thank you, otherwise I might just go direct with AppleCare for its peace of mind. Haven't used AppleCare specifically, but its support everytime I've used it has been excellent.
got apple care for my watch overseas
manged to smash mine 6 months later
took in to apple store got it replaced for nowt and no excess (becuase they said my agreement was for foreign currency on the excess so they would waive it
Edited by: "Infractionboi" 16th Mar
mattmerch32 m ago

got apple care for my watch overseas manged to smash mine 6 months …got apple care for my watch overseas manged to smash mine 6 months latertook in to apple store got it replaced for nowt and no excess (becuase they said my agreement was for foreign currency on the excess so they would waive it

Oh I didn't know AppleCare was international?

Might need to do that too.. It'll give me an excuse to go overseas haha
I have contents insurance and accidental damage through my landlord. I pay around £2.01 a week.

I have no excess to pay.

Ive had mine around 6 years and claimed 3 times. (2 iphones And ipad

Think you can only claim a certain amout of times throughout the year.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants