Groups

Acer aspire netbook warranty question............

Does anyone know if it invalidates the warranty if you upgrade the ram in a ACER aspire netbook?

7 Comments

Are you sure you can add more RAM anyway? I thought that they would only read 1Gb. I don't think that you invalidate the warrenty if it is possible.

Original Poster

Well you have to take the acer netbook COMPLETELY apart to change the RAM. So your opening it up totally.....

J4GG4;6530362

Well you have to take the acer netbook COMPLETELY apart to change the … Well you have to take the acer netbook COMPLETELY apart to change the RAM. So your opening it up totally.....

That's a different matter then. I just wouldn't do it unless you believe you can carry out the job. Taking a laptop apart to replace a button battery was hard enough for me, so I don't think I'll be opening up my Netbook!

It's not too hard too do, there's plenty of vids on youtube.
    The 8.9" aao's have 512mb on the mobo and can take upto another 1gb in the slot so a max of 1.5gb's. It probably does invalidate the warranty as you basically have to take the whole machine apart, but if your careful they'll never know you been inside of it, just make sure you undo any changes you've done before sending it back!

I've got 1.5gb's in mine as well as a 320GB hdd, changed the blue casing for a white one added a touch screen and bluetooth. Only thing left to do is stick in a gps!

Loads of advice and "HOWTO's" available ]here!

Original Poster

I dont need to know how to do it ive done 20+ before lol

I sold 1 to someone on ebay nd it broke after 7 months. they messaged me and want to know cos i upgraded the ram in it before i sold it they need to know if they can get it repaired under warranty.

J4GG4;6532486

I dont need to know how to do it ive done 20+ before lolI sold 1 to … I dont need to know how to do it ive done 20+ before lolI sold 1 to someone on ebay nd it broke after 7 months. they messaged me and want to know cos i upgraded the ram in it before i sold it they need to know if they can get it repaired under warranty.

OK, Upgrading the ram doesn't invalidate the warranty as long as when you did the upgrade you didn't damage any internal components in th aa1:

Here's an official reply from acer:

########################################################################

Hello, Thank you for contacting Acer.

Regarding your enquiry,
    With regards to your warranty position on adding hardware to your computer. You are able to add hardware yourself, however if by doing so you damage any of the internal components of the machine during the fitting or as a result of the additional hardware your warranty may become void. Also note, that Acer would not support any additional hardware added by yourself, nor would we support any software conflicts arising in this configuration.

Regards
    Ryan
    Acer Technical Support Team

#####################################################################

Original Poster

Thanks for that.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win amazing travel prizes including £2000 travel voucher, flights and holid…11
      2. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…77
      4. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card33

See more discussions