Groups

Acer aspire one 150g linux dual boot help please

Hi, i have an acer aspire one 150g version with linux.
    I want to put xp on it but keep linux as well.
    I have an xp disc and external drive but..
    Do i have to format the hard drive and then reinstall linux ( and is it all on the recovery disc or is it on the hard drive )
    Does anyone have a step by step guide?
    I have downloaded the xp drivers from acer.
    Do i need to use another program to choose which system to boot?
    I have installed xp numerous times but have never created a dual boot machine..

8 Comments

I normally put windows on first then install linux, It asks which os to use when it boots.

you will have to install windows first then install Linux again (at least I find this the easiest way). Also, if you prefer, you can create a usb multiboot disk. A little bit of effort is required, and access to another comp to create the image file on the usb disk, but this is the way i will install XP as i have also just ordered one of these, which should arrive during the week. details to do this are ]here

Original Poster

Thanks so far, xp is installed and running but when i try to install linux it wants to use the whole drive.
    How do i get it to install in the second partition?

cv54;3888745

Thanks so far, xp is installed and running but when i try to install … Thanks so far, xp is installed and running but when i try to install linux it wants to use the whole drive.How do i get it to install in the second partition?

I normally use 2 drives:oops: Think it can be done though, have you tried creating yet another partition?

Linux requires two partitions

Original Poster

using the recovery disc, i only have the option to use the entire drive.
    It's not a major problem as xp seems to run perfectly,and fairly fast.
    It'd just be nice to have the option of using linux as well.
    Thanks for the help so far :thumbsup:

cv54;3890685

using the recovery disc, i only have the option to use the entire drive. … using the recovery disc, i only have the option to use the entire drive. It's not a major problem as xp seems to run perfectly,and fairly fast.It'd just be nice to have the option of using linux as well.Thanks for the help so far :thumbsup:

Don't quite get what you mean, just create another partition and then restart the computer booting from an iso disc of your chosen linux distro. I can't see why that won't work ok:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Digital ps4 games33
      2. Localphone VOIP long distance app broken (not ios11 compatible)22
      3. Cheap northface alternatives?22
      4. grown ups go free kellogs22

See more discussions