Acer aspire problems

Posted 2nd Feb
Hi All,

My acer laptop has stopped working, yesterday a blue screen came on and there were some messages which I did not read properly but can remember vaguely some options like..
F1
Enter to retry
Reboot with cd (laptop does not have cd drive)

Should have really taken a picture of the screen so I could have explained exactly.
Anyway I opted for enter to retry and now the screen is just frozen the windows start up page and the dots going round in circle come on each time I turn laptop on.

Is there a way I can start up the pc using any of the F1 F2 etc. buttons?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
If you hold the on button for a couple of seconds, it should shut down on its own. Then turn on and press F1 etc on start up then you should get options of what to do next. It could be the new updates what have been added recently what’s causing the blue screen
Depending on where in the boot sequence it failed/locked up you may be able to force it to enter safe mode.
Start the laptop and once it starts going through it’s start up try repeatedly pressing F5, do this until the laptop either comes up with an option for safe mode or you get the blue screen.
Try this a couple of times as it can take a couple of attempts to press it at the right time.
If this does not work try it with pressing F8 instead.

If you make it into safe mode let it all start up and select restart, hopefully it may fix it or you can get back into safe mode and tell it to restart from last known good settings or last save point.
The dreaded Microsoft blue screen of doom! As said above, safe mode is hopefully the way forward.
Acer still aspires, but does not get there!
If you can create a Recovery Drive USB stick from someone elses win 10 laptop you can use it to try amd fix your boot problems.
Thanks all, managed to get it running on safe mode but is very very slow now, also for some reason it is not picking WiFi and saying I have to trouble shoot which I did but was no help, even shutting down takes a very long time

Basically cannot do anything
Any other tips please?
Yorkshirehotuk03/02/2020 14:09

Thanks all, managed to get it running on safe mode but is very very slow …Thanks all, managed to get it running on safe mode but is very very slow now, also for some reason it is not picking WiFi and saying I have to trouble shoot which I did but was no help, even shutting down takes a very long timeBasically cannot do anythingAny other tips please?

Drivers are disabled in safe mode so no network / WiFi is normal unless available & actively selected pre-boot.
Are you able to access system restore whilst in Safe mode?
AndyRoyd03/02/2020 14:24

Drivers are disabled in safe mode so no network / WiFi is normal unless …Drivers are disabled in safe mode so no network / WiFi is normal unless available & actively selected pre-boot.Are you able to access system restore whilst in Safe mode?

Thanks Andy, how can I try that?
AndyRoyd03/02/2020 14:24

Drivers are disabled in safe mode so no network / WiFi is normal unless …Drivers are disabled in safe mode so no network / WiFi is normal unless available & actively selected pre-boot.Are you able to access system restore whilst in Safe mode?

I’d first try just performing a normal reboot when you exit safe mode, failing this google is your friend for how to find/use backups
fastcarmaniac03/02/2020 18:20

I’d first try just performing a normal reboot when you exit safe mode, f …I’d first try just performing a normal reboot when you exit safe mode, failing this google is your friend for how to find/use backups

It sounds as if you are the victim of the latest Windows update and/or previous updates. You should be able to get into the Update area and uninstall the latest update and see how it goes.
Ultimately you may be looking at a fresh install and as long as your Windows is pukka with a Product ID (which in an ideal world you should know) you will be fine. Any other type of reinstall is sub-optimal and like everything else the most important thing about your computer are the documents, photos, music, etc that you have stored on it. Once you have safely secured that data elsewhere you can fiddle with it as much as you like.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants