Acer laptop reset TPM warning any ideas??

Found 8th Dec 2017
So was resetting Acer VN7-592G and this message appeared any ideas what I should do as plan on selling it??:

2850241-HzY5h.jpg

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
If you are resetting the computer anyway it makes no difference which option you choose.
Did you request the TPM reset?
parsimony10 m ago

If you are resetting the computer anyway it makes no difference which …If you are resetting the computer anyway it makes no difference which option you choose.Did you request the TPM reset?

I selected no thinking I might mess something up.
Cut and paste:

A TPM is a chip that securely stores keys. REALLY securely.

Bitlocker is a tool that encrypts your disk.

Bitlocker can store keys that it uses to encrypt in the TPM. (Other things can use it too, but bitlocker is a good example)

If you have encrypted disks using bitlocker and the TPM, and you clear the TPM, you will never ever be able to decrypt them. So it's important that it checks you're fine with it before clearing it.

When you're doing a factory reset you want to clear it, because maybe you are selling the computer (for example), and you don't want the person you're selling it to to be able to get access to your encrypted disks (or whatever other keys you might have stored with it).
----------
splender54 m ago

Cut and paste:A TPM is a chip that securely stores keys. REALLY …Cut and paste:A TPM is a chip that securely stores keys. REALLY securely. Bitlocker is a tool that encrypts your disk. Bitlocker can store keys that it uses to encrypt in the TPM. (Other things can use it too, but bitlocker is a good example) If you have encrypted disks using bitlocker and the TPM, and you clear the TPM, you will never ever be able to decrypt them. So it's important that it checks you're fine with it before clearing it. When you're doing a factory reset you want to clear it, because maybe you are selling the computer (for example), and you don't want the person you're selling it to to be able to get access to your encrypted disks (or whatever other keys you might have stored with it).----------

parsimony1 h, 30 m ago

If you are resetting the computer anyway it makes no difference which …If you are resetting the computer anyway it makes no difference which option you choose.Did you request the TPM reset?

Sorry for the probz obvious answer but what is classed as keys? I have already formatted the 1tb hd (D) and is empty and by the looks of it the reset has deleted personal items from 128ssd (C) as I can't find any. In terms of encryption i haven't added passwords to files. Thanks
Edited by: "AJ92" 8th Dec 2017
That looks like a bios screen, and you say you're resetting but not exactly what actions you took. Did you possibly turn it on by mistake in the bios? It should be under the security tab in the bios. Maybe someone set it up the laptop in advance, did it have a password screen at bootup?

The chip basically stores passwords/keys to control access, rather than having them stored on the drive where they can potentially be accessed and compromised. If you removed personal data I'd assume that clearing keys wouldn't make any difference as there's nothing left to access, but your comment regarding drive C suggests it still had the operating system on it and I don't know if TPM has anything to do with this. I doubt it does but would suggest it would be easier to just clear TPM then reinstall the OS again.

Actually when I just said to just clear TPM this brings us back to "what were you doing?" You must have done something to reset TPM (like reset bios to defaults) so possibly the best advice would be, if you don't know what something us just leave it alone.
bryanhaines39924 m ago

That looks like a bios screen, and you say you're resetting but not …That looks like a bios screen, and you say you're resetting but not exactly what actions you took. Did you possibly turn it on by mistake in the bios? It should be under the security tab in the bios. Maybe someone set it up the laptop in advance, did it have a password screen at bootup?The chip basically stores passwords/keys to control access, rather than having them stored on the drive where they can potentially be accessed and compromised. If you removed personal data I'd assume that clearing keys wouldn't make any difference as there's nothing left to access, but your comment regarding drive C suggests it still had the operating system on it and I don't know if TPM has anything to do with this. I doubt it does but would suggest it would be easier to just clear TPM then reinstall the OS again.Actually when I just said to just clear TPM this brings us back to "what were you doing?" You must have done something to reset TPM (like reset bios to defaults) so possibly the best advice would be, if you don't know what something us just leave it alone.

All I wanted to do was reset back to default so i opened windows settings then reset and selected delete all personal files (states this might take a couple hours). So it finished reseting and that message appeared I selected no then the out the box settings showed up eg select language, keybored, WiFi password, sign in if you have an account etc... and no I have not been asked for any type of password.
Edited by: "AJ92" 8th Dec 2017
AJ9210 m ago

All I wanted to do was reset back to default so i opened windows settings …All I wanted to do was reset back to default so i opened windows settings then reset and selected delete all personal files (states this might take a couple hours). So it finished reseting and that message appeared I selected no then the out the box settings showed up eg select language, keybored, WiFi password, sign in if you have an account etc... and no I have not been asked for any type of password.

Just leave it then. I'm pretty sure you could just as easily have clicked yes with no I'll effects but it makes no odds if you clicked no, leaving the keys doesn't provide access to what isn't there.
Edited by: "bryanhaines399" 8th Dec 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions