Found 25th Mar 2008
Hi,
What is the best treatment for Acne

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
18 Comments

Are you saying one of the mods/Admin has ACNE, if not, I think that this thread should be in "Misc".

My sister used to use Quinoderm, it's should be still available over the counter at chemists I think. It cleared quite a lot of it up for her as she did have bad acne at one point.

do you have any spare bags. If so place one over your head :-D

If you have really bad acne go to the doctors, they will give you a long term course of antibiotics which really will help. Over the counter treatments are useless, you may as well just use any cleanser/toner and moisturiser. Sunlight is greatly beneficial, so a series of sunbed treatments can really help tpp.

quinoderm is good, probably the best non-prescription thing i used, but i never use oxy pads or anything anymore because i no longer have acne. i haven't had it since i went to a dermatologist (spelling?) and was prescribed roaccutane, which is an excellent treatment. it stops the glands in your face from producing oil, so you don't get any spots. you do however get ridiculously dry skin while you're on it and i had to moisturise and use vaseline on my lips etc. it's painful but worth it. side effects list was a good read too

a gp can also prescribe oxytetracycline or minocyclin which help a bit, but i didn't find them all that good. i also had a weird liquid thing called zinyret or something which just smelt bad.

the only other thing i've heard of is laser surgery on your face, but i think that's a little expensive and possibly a bit ott...

by the way, i have no idea how to spell the names of the drugs, so don't quote those spellings exactly...

Good old Clearasil still works wonders (apparently)

I used that when I was a teen (long ago)

I bascially had acne from about 12 onwards,it never really cleared up till I was pregnant so for me it was def all hormone related. If your female Dianette pill sometimes helps,this is if you want to go on Pill anyway,I wouldn't like the idea of teen 13 or so on it but then that would be upto her make decision. I went on Pill just before I turned 17 and this Dianette helped,but I come off it after about a yr later due to side effects.

Quinoderm works well,I'm not sure if it can be bought over counter but mine was always from the drs and we going back over 10 yrs now. It works well but if you using it for anymore than 3 days at a time,it totally dried out your skin,this is what I found out anyway. So I used to take breaks,like I said I wasn't really free of acne till I had my 1st pregnancy.Dianette worked some what,it didn't clear completely but did help,and at time I was avoiding pregnancy cos I was in no position to have a child.
Most time acne is hormone related or sometimes stress,some people who don't get spots,will sometimes have a certain outbreak on their face or any other part of the body and thats cos they stressed and know this.

Go to the doctors and ask them to prescribe Zineryt. It works well after a few days but don't get it anywhere near your eyes or mouth! It also only lasts about 5 weeks then after that becomes non-effective. It's very good stuff and I've found it does work, hope yours clears up quickly.:thumbsup:

you can get quinoderm over the counter still, my brother uses it

gav989;1774955

you can get quinoderm over the counter still, my brother uses it

Handy to know.

freederm is the best one, come off prescription about 2 years ago. Go for the gel NOT the wash.

Here is info on it.
freederm.co.uk/Hom…cfm

I used to have bad acne - none of the creams or anything from the doctors really worked that well for me or it would but only for a short period

the best thing to do is to drink at least 4 pints of water every day - you will see a difference within a week!!

This is what I started doing and it totally cleared up my skin - I never get any spots any more

roryk83;1775065

I used to have bad acne - none of the creams or anything from the doctors … I used to have bad acne - none of the creams or anything from the doctors really worked that well for me or it would but only for a short periodthe best thing to do is to drink at least 4 pints of water every day - you will see a difference within a week!! This is what I started doing and it totally cleared up my skin - I never get any spots any more

thats easily the best advice , infact i would say at least 4 litres of water
i lift weights which makes me prone to acne (raises your testosterone),
i noticed recently when i drink loads of water it totally gives you perfect skin

i carry around a two litre bottle of water (cheap value supremarket springwater) with me now
and make sure i have at least 4 litres a day, which also makes me feal really good and gives me way more energy when training

only downside is the regular calls of nature:)

depending on how bad it is, depends on whats best.

many are saying quinoderm, personally i've never heard of it. i went privately and was given an immediate referral on the NHS and free monhtly prescriptions of roaccutane. this stuff is like swallowing a nuclear bomb. the side effects are absolutely unbelievable. after a very long 4 month course of taking 40mg, then 60mg after a certain period my face was as smooth as a babys ****. really, it worked wonders. its not for the faint hearted, many have committed suicide whilst on it, your lips dry up and eating becomes a problem as they crack constantly. your skin becomes dry and it looks like your snowing as you walk down the street. lip balm and loads of moisturiser recommended. worst is probably when you wake up, your mouth splits on the inside and you've got blood pissing down your throat.

like i said, its pretty hardcore and only used in extreme cases.

have a look at [url]www.acne.org[/url] many, including myself have posted blogs and pics of themselves whilst using roaccutane. they are also other sections of the site which contain info on other products that can be bought over the counter. theres also a "clear skin regimen" section which i advise checking out.

Best treatment for acne -

Sex.

http://www.dan-dare.org/FreeFun/Images/CartoonsMoviesTV/WileECoyote.jpg

fitzybhoy;1775166

depending on how bad it is, depends on whats best.have a look at … depending on how bad it is, depends on whats best.have a look at [url]www.acne.org[/url] many, including myself have posted blogs and pics of themselves whilst using roaccutane. they are also other sections of the site which contain info on other products that can be bought over the counter. theres also a "clear skin regimen" section which i advise checking out.

Dan's regimen (on acne.org) is very effective and cheap. Benzoyl Peroxide does wonders at clearing and keeping away acne. There can be side-effects but it's all explained there. Well worth considering it.

thom_yorke;1777274

Dan's regimen (on acne.org) is very effective and cheap. Benzoyl Peroxide … Dan's regimen (on acne.org) is very effective and cheap. Benzoyl Peroxide does wonders at clearing and keeping away acne. There can be side-effects but it's all explained there. Well worth considering it.

indeed it does mate, i use BP 5% once a day. keeps the face nice and dry (i have pretty oily skin) and helps keep the acne away.:thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Amazon deliveries35
    2. I5 7600k vs i5 740011
    3. Computer upgrades89
    4. Invisalign dental braces in London22

See more discussions