Activated Charcoal Canisters in Cars

Banned 8 replies
Found 24th Nov 2008
My car has been acting weird lately so I'm replacing the idle control valve with one from scrap yard, I bought a couple just in case was £5. They are £75 from VW, local motor factor is £155 for the whole damn throttle unit. While I was at the scrap yard I took out the activated charcoal canister...see next post

7 Comments

Original Poster Banned

I'm guessing replacing the carbon filter would reduce my emissions a lot? the car is 12 years old, plus why does it vent back to the fuel tank?

http://www.lumor.co.uk/activated carbon filter.gif

Original Poster Banned

and this is what they wanted £75 +VAT for (item number 2, it's a bit of plastic with a metal flap inside)

http://www.lumor.co.uk/idle control valve.gif

Banned

Hi mate,

The filter should be replaced when you notice poor mpg, easier to notice if you do a lot of motorway driving but not so easy to spot if you drive round town etc.

Also, it shouldnt vent to the tank, it draws vapours from the petrol tank which are then stored in the cannister. It is then vented to the engine block, to put your mind at rest, if you do not hear a venting noise etc when removing your filler cap then there could be a problem with the system.

This is from my own knowledge and I may be totally wrong :thumbsup:

Original Poster Banned

wierdowoss;3552724

Hi mate,The filter should be replaced when you notice poor mpg, easier to … Hi mate,The filter should be replaced when you notice poor mpg, easier to notice if you do a lot of motorway driving but not so easy to spot if you drive round town etc. Also, it shouldnt vent to the tank, it draws vapours from the petrol tank which are then stored in the cannister. It is then vented to the engine block, to put your mind at rest, if you do not hear a venting noise etc when removing your filler cap then there could be a problem with the system. This is from my own knowledge and I may be totally wrong :thumbsup:

I hear a venting noise on one of the cars I drive, will check next time I fill up thanks everyone.

Banned

lumoruk;3552804

I hear a venting noise on one of the cars I drive, will check next time I … I hear a venting noise on one of the cars I drive, will check next time I fill up thanks everyone.

The venting noise is just a way of saying

"look at me car owner, im not leaking into the atmosphere, woo go me!!:-D"

Original Poster Banned

wierdowoss;3552827

The venting noise is just a way of saying "look at me car owner, im not … The venting noise is just a way of saying "look at me car owner, im not leaking into the atmosphere, woo go me!!:-D"

cars are so complicated was looking at a charcoal filter from a MK4 you reckon I could put it in my MK3

Original Poster Banned

another question for you smart people, my heat? shield just rusted off my catalytic converter anything to worry about? :oops:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Win Google Pixel 2 or a Google Pixel 2 XL11
    2. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition69774
    3. Win a villa holiday for two in Portugal with Four Seasons Fairways @ Sunday…66
    4. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines54

See more discussions