Activating iMessage on iPhone 4s using Tesco sim

Found 4th Jun
At wits end here, spoke to both Apple and Tesco and 24 hours later still no iMessage I've done everything from syncing with iTunes to switching off iMessage and turning headset off then turning back on toggle between aeroplane mode. I've even done a factory reset yet both companies blaming each other

Can anyone please advise me if they've ever had this issue and how they fixed it, only it's driving me crazy lol
Community Updates
AskiPhoneSimiPhone 5S
17 Comments
Have you by any chance switched network but kept your number?
Dannyrobbo33 m ago

Have you by any chance switched network but kept your number?

Hi no I haven't this is just a Tesco payG sim
machomansavage1 h, 51 m ago

Hi no I haven't this is just a Tesco payG sim

Right okay, secondly what number is listed in settings > Phone > my number. Is it your number in international format ?
Dannyrobbo2 h, 19 m ago

Right okay, secondly what number is listed in settings > Phone > my …Right okay, secondly what number is listed in settings > Phone > my number. Is it your number in international format ?

Hi danny sorry for late reply yes it is. I have changed this to zero
Send a text to yourself, yes, your own mobile number !

Is the sent text green or blue?

33915513-4oZ7U.jpg

If its sending in green, try again with data switched off, see if the text is delivered via Wifi only...
Edited by: "andynicol" 4th Jun
If it’s not that and your number is correct then the issue lies with the network. An actual mobile network could probably get to the bottom of it but I’m not sure about tesco. iMessage sends a text you can’t see and some of the smaller networks seem to miss that text. Keep on at them
andynicol10 h, 54 m ago

Send a text to yourself, yes, your own mobile number !Is the sent text …Send a text to yourself, yes, your own mobile number !Is the sent text green or blue?[Image] If its sending in green, try again with data switched off, see if the text is delivered via Wifi only...

Hi Andy

Thanks I've already tried that and they're coming through green. Been connected to a strong wifi for 24 plus. Since then I've even done a factory reset and still no avail
Dannyrobbo5th Jun

If it’s not that and your number is correct then the issue lies with the n …If it’s not that and your number is correct then the issue lies with the network. An actual mobile network could probably get to the bottom of it but I’m not sure about tesco. iMessage sends a text you can’t see and some of the smaller networks seem to miss that text. Keep on at them

Yeah sounds like it to me too. I've ordered a few more sims on asda network (play off EE) so I'll see if they work. Thing is the Tesco
SIM card I've got is preloaded with £5 credit and I've been charged quite a few times for that activation text that a network send to Apple to verify FaceTime and iMessage I didn't even knew that happened until yesterday when the Tesco advisor looked into it for me and said I'd been charged for this number ending in 5000. He said they're verification texts to Apple severs when u activate iMessages or FaceTime
machomansavage16 m ago

Yeah sounds like it to me too. I've ordered a few more sims on asda …Yeah sounds like it to me too. I've ordered a few more sims on asda network (play off EE) so I'll see if they work. Thing is the Tesco SIM card I've got is preloaded with £5 credit and I've been charged quite a few times for that activation text that a network send to Apple to verify FaceTime and iMessage I didn't even knew that happened until yesterday when the Tesco advisor looked into it for me and said I'd been charged for this number ending in 5000. He said they're verification texts to Apple severs when u activate iMessages or FaceTime

never seen an activation text, you should be able to activate it via wifi try doing a hard reset, home button and off button at the same time. Then go back into imessage and try and activate again. if this does not work, see if shows numbers in send and receive, if the number does not have a tick next to it click on it so it does, then send a text to a number you know is on imessage, it sometimes needs activating that way, seen it take a couple of texts back and forth to activate on both sides.
Yeah I agree with the texts back and forth until it registered I'll find the link for u now about these activation texts
here
Edited by: "machomansavage" 5th Jun
eslick31 m ago

never seen an activation text, you should be able to activate it via wifi …never seen an activation text, you should be able to activate it via wifi try doing a hard reset, home button and off button at the same time. Then go back into imessage and try and activate again. if this does not work, see if shows numbers in send and receive, if the number does not have a tick next to it click on it so it does, then send a text to a number you know is on imessage, it sometimes needs activating that way, seen it take a couple of texts back and forth to activate on both sides.

You don’t see the activation text but it sends one

tbh the only other thing I could suggest and you have probably tried it is sync with iTunes to force the tesco side to send your settings across this is by a text. There’s also this Link apparently this will send them out. Though it might not work, it’s a network issue for sure
Dannyrobbo2 m ago

You don’t see the activation text but it sends one tbh the only other t …You don’t see the activation text but it sends one tbh the only other thing I could suggest and you have probably tried it is sync with iTunes to force the tesco side to send your settings across this is by a text. There’s also this Link apparently this will send them out. Though it might not work, it’s a network issue for sure

Hi Danny I found the link here it is click here
Dannyrobbo10 m ago

You don’t see the activation text but it sends one tbh the only other t …You don’t see the activation text but it sends one tbh the only other thing I could suggest and you have probably tried it is sync with iTunes to force the tesco side to send your settings across this is by a text. There’s also this Link apparently this will send them out. Though it might not work, it’s a network issue for sure

I was reading it as you are sent an activation text agree it says you may be charged for it sending one out but we have also activated by wifi before, in fact thats how you activate via non cellular ipads.
Dannyrobbo14 m ago

Thanks mate, but
Dannyrobbo14 m ago

thanks for that but the site wont let u change the prefix to +44
machomansavage31 m ago

Thanks mate, but thanks for that but the site wont let u change the …Thanks mate, but thanks for that but the site wont let u change the prefix to +44

How daft, have you tried doing it anyway dropping the zero from your number.
machomansavage1 h, 1 m ago

Thanks mate, but thanks for that but the site wont let u change the …Thanks mate, but thanks for that but the site wont let u change the prefix to +44

without wanting to get in the way of only one person helping, what are you trying to do with changing the number to international? If you have tried the other things I suggested earlier are you seeing 4G in the corner, have you tried connecting to a web page on 4G only and see if that works. Apple also suggest resetting your network connections to fix this sort of issue, you may also find you need to change the APN settings, newer phones do this automatically but 4S can need them adding. One other thing you might find is conflicting is the number on the phone and sim, but if you are signing into itunes to activate you shouldnt see an issue.
eslick3 h, 4 m ago

without wanting to get in the way of only one person helping, what are you …without wanting to get in the way of only one person helping, what are you trying to do with changing the number to international? If you have tried the other things I suggested earlier are you seeing 4G in the corner, have you tried connecting to a web page on 4G only and see if that works. Apple also suggest resetting your network connections to fix this sort of issue, you may also find you need to change the APN settings, newer phones do this automatically but 4S can need them adding. One other thing you might find is conflicting is the number on the phone and sim, but if you are signing into itunes to activate you shouldnt see an issue.

TRIED UPDATING AGAIN AND IMESSAGE NOW WORKS. SEEMS LIKE IOS 6 LOST IMESSAGE SUPPORT JUST RECENTLY
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants