Ad blocker for Chrome recommendations

Posted 2nd Jul
Just noticed today that my Chrome extension Adblock Plus - free ad blocker3.9 is has made my browser unusable. Pages won't load. Thought it is my internet connection but then tried another browser and it was working. I went through the extensions turning them off and on till I found out it was the Adblock one causing issues. It was working fine until yesterday, when Chrome needed an update.
What other adblockers do you use that work? I don't want to change my web browser, I want to stick with Chrome, as I have everything saved in it, bookmarks, etc.
Thank you!
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Yeah Adblock slowed things down with me. I use Ublock Origin now.
Strange... I have 3.9 and latest chrome update with no problems
Weird, until I saw this thread I thought my Firefox was messed. Last night I thought it was my internet also but chrome work so switched over. I uninstalled ABP on firefox and now it works again lol.

Chrome is working with ABP for me though... have you updated it?
Ublock origin is the Only way
dbizal02/07/2020 11:42

Weird, until I saw this thread I thought my Firefox was messed. Last night …Weird, until I saw this thread I thought my Firefox was messed. Last night I thought it was my internet also but chrome work so switched over. I uninstalled ABP on firefox and now it works again lol. Chrome is working with ABP for me though... have you updated it?

Yes, updated Chrome yesterday. That's since when it stopped working.
darthvader666uk02/07/2020 11:52

Ublock origin is the Only way

This one seems to work a treat, thank you! Can you recommend something for Android?
deleted11933
Happened to my parents too yesterday on Firefox. The first thing I checked was extensions, and they just had ABP and dismised it as an issue. Returned and disabled it and found it to be the culprit. Googled but didnt see any activity about the same issues for others. Uninstalled and dumped standard Adblock on for them as a temporary measure. What a minefield, they all give themselves the same product name even though they are different companies.
Ghostery for trackers
ABP for ads
Flash block for flash based ads
Ublock Origin
and Pihole

And yet some still squeeze past.
Don't think problem was Adblock it was Chrome. Just reset Chome this morning and everything back to normal.
Ublock origin
uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger.
CristianC8902/07/2020 12:00

This one seems to work a treat, thank you! Can you recommend something for …This one seems to work a treat, thank you! Can you recommend something for Android?

I use Firefox on Andoird (same as PC) as Ublock origin works with firefox on android too
CristianC8902/07/2020 12:00

This one seems to work a treat, thank you! Can you recommend something for …This one seems to work a treat, thank you! Can you recommend something for Android?

Same combination for Android platform.
Frankie7702/07/2020 11:40

Yeah Adblock slowed things down with me. I use Ublock Origin now.

This
Kaspersky
wayners02/07/2020 17:55

Brave browser is chrome with add blocker but as an alternative as you …Brave browser is chrome with add blocker but as an alternative as you probably know about that one is via.... play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mark.via.gp

No it isn't. They're both chromium based, so they're similar. Edge is chromium based, so are lot's of other's.

One big difference is set you can't sync cross platform with brave at the moment (unless they've recently fixed it)
Same happened to me yesterday. Chrome was already updated. Was in the middle of using it when pages started to refuse to load
Eventually narrowed it down to ABP but not before restarting PC, resetting Chrome etc,almost pulling out my lockdown locks
@endofdays
I'm not interested in the sync across devices but I guess some want that. Via is a tiny download and works really well but for bookmarks I use Google bookmark. Can access that on any device of browser
Edited by: "wayners" 3rd Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants