Groups

Adaptor Stuck (Suspect Prongs Melted) In Wall Socket? Some Advice Please :)?

As above. I bought a kettle from Amazon a while back, but to my dismay it had an EU plug. No problem, I thought, I have an EU to UK 13amp adaptor spare, I'll use that. Looks like this - http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/AKIAAOSw~gRVsexy/s-l1600.jpg

Kettle was working fine, the plug and wall socket are rarely touched.

Today when using the kettle I noticed a zapping sound (which I now know is arcing), baffling as I wasn't doing anything unusual. So I switched the socket off and took the EU plug out the adaptor, but the adaptor itself is stuck fast to the wall socket! There's no burning or any other ominous signs.

I've read that this can mean the prongs have melted as some sort of bad connection has caused a problem - even that the wall socket itself may need replacing.

I'm a bit fearful of electrics - what should I do? I've read I can turn off the supply at the fuse box and use a blunt instrument to prise it out. I'm guessing that socket is dangerous until I get it inspected?

Will I be okay to simply wire on a UK plug onto the EU kettle (assuming it's still working)?

Thanks. Yours rather nervously,

17 Comments

Original Poster

Picture of adaptor for those that don't want to clicky -
    http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/AKIAAOSw~gRVsexy/s-l1600.jpg

Nervous of electrics, call an electrician get them to test the socket and replace if needed, they may test the kettle as well for you.

Original Poster

I will I've been tugging at the adaptor like a madwoman - until I started reading articles, probably not very bright. I'll try and remove it once it's daylight and I can switch the electricity off. Then get on the phone

Replacing the socket is an easy diy job but I wouldn't know about the kettle . You could put British plug easy enough but something was wrong in the first place

louiselouise

I will I've been tugging at the adaptor like a madwoman - until I … I will I've been tugging at the adaptor like a madwoman - until I started reading articles, probably not very bright. I'll try and remove it once it's daylight and I can switch the electricity off. Then get on the phone

​when you say a EU plug you mean its got 2 pins.
    does it have any metal at all you can see on the outside of the plug when its plugged in.

Original Poster

shadey12

​when you say a EU plug you mean its got 2 pins.does it have any metal at … ​when you say a EU plug you mean its got 2 pins.does it have any metal at all you can see on the outside of the plug when its plugged in.

This sort of plug (Schuko? plug)
    http://www.worldstandards.eu/WordPress/wp-content/uploads/electricity-type-EF-plug-1-249x300.jpg

The EU plug and adaptor were in tight, never touched. No bare metal.

louiselouise

This sort of plug (Schuko? plug)The EU plug and adaptor were in tight, … This sort of plug (Schuko? plug)The EU plug and adaptor were in tight, never touched. No bare metal.

​the adaptor you have used does not have a earth connection.
    its designed for low power double insulated products, definitely not kettles. the bit of metal on the kettle plug that is not the 2 pins is the earth, it is there for safety, the equivalent in our plugs is the top pin of the plug. the yellow and green wire go to it if you look inside the plug.
    using a kettle with this adaptor is dangerous.
    when you try to take the adaptor out tomorrow make sure all the electric is off usually all the sockets in the kitchen are on the same fuse. plug something in to the other sockets to check after you have turned off the power. it will be the biggest switch and usually marked. the adaptor is most probably just stiff in the socket as they are not well made. yes you can put a British plug on the kettle.
    if in any doubt get someone else to do it
    better to be safe than sorry.

Original Poster

shadey12

​the adaptor you have used does not have a earth connection.its designed f … ​the adaptor you have used does not have a earth connection.its designed for low power double insulated products, definitely not kettles. the bit of metal on the kettle plug that is not the 2 pins is the earth, it is there for safety, the equivalent in our plugs is the top pin of the plug. the yellow and green wire go to it if you look inside the plug.using a kettle with this adaptor is dangerous.when you try to take the adaptor out tomorrow make sure all the electric is off usually all the sockets in the kitchen are on the same fuse. plug something in to the other sockets to check after you have turned off the power. it will be the biggest switch and usually marked. the adaptor is most probably just stiff in the socket as they are not well made. yes you can put a British plug on the kettle.if in any doubt get someone else to do itbetter to be safe than sorry.

Oh dear, didn't realise that adaptor was a no-no with a kettle, thanks for letting me know. I will put a British plug on the kettle. I'm unsure if anything has "tripped" or burned but I'll tackle it in the morning.

Hard for me to say if the adaptor is just "stiff" as it's basically been plugged in and forgotten about!

Do not use the kettle until it is tested.
    You should find someone competent to check the socket for you, it probably does need replaced. It is not an expensive item nor a difficult job for someone who knows what they are doing.
    And, I would agree with the poster above who says that the adaptor appears to be unsuitable for the type of plug in the pictures.

Edited by: "scottswaha" 4th Nov 2016

louiselouise

Oh dear, didn't realise that adaptor was a no-no with a kettle, thanks … Oh dear, didn't realise that adaptor was a no-no with a kettle, thanks for letting me know. I will put a British plug on the kettle. I'm unsure if anything has "tripped" or burned but I'll tackle it in the morning.Hard for me to say if the adaptor is just "stiff" as it's basically been plugged in and forgotten about!

​is it a double wall socket or a single, obviously if its a double just plug something into the other one. if it works none of your fuses have blown or tripped. if where all you fuses are (consumer unit/distribution board) are switches they should be labeled. all the ones been used should be in the up position.

Original Poster

shadey12

​is it a double wall socket or a single, obviously if its a double just p … ​is it a double wall socket or a single, obviously if its a double just plug something into the other one. if it works none of your fuses have blown or tripped. if where all you fuses are (consumer unit/distribution board) are switches they should be labeled. all the ones been used should be in the up position.

It's a double socket. I've been too scared to try it, especially after reading online!

louiselouise

It's a double socket. I've been too scared to try it, especially after … It's a double socket. I've been too scared to try it, especially after reading online!

​leave it until tomorrow and ask someone.
    be safe.

Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help last night shadey12, I will remove the plug (hopefully), electricity turned off first of course! after lunch with baby brother

The euro plugs aren't earthed and a kettle is high voltage, prob higher than the adapter you used.

It probably melted the socket/casing box around the inside of the plug itself. Easy enough to take the whole lot out of the wall. Make sure you turn the sockets fuses off first! Good luck.

If it's a switched socket, it's probably burned out the switch, though that adapter is supposedly rated 13A and has a 13A fuse, it does not look up to it, and is incorrect, the Schuko has a side earth contact.

You might be lucky with the socket if you do manage to get it out, but the switch may be stuck in the on position, or in the off.

Changing a socket, is a job that can be done by a diy-er or competent handyman, it does not require certification.
    Key point is being able to verify that the circuit is OFF before attempting..
    Because of the ring main, there will be TWO joined connections for each, LIVE, Neutral, Earth.
    One possible difficulty is if a replacement socket presents different positions for the wires, as the stiff wires can be awkward to reposition.

Original Poster

It's a double socket, with switches - the switch still operates, though I haven't tested the wall socket to see if it still powers anything. Was out longer than expected and it was dark when I got home Tomorrow, then
    Edited by: "louiselouise" 4th Nov 2016

louiselouise

Thanks so much for your help last night shadey12, I will remove the plug … Thanks so much for your help last night shadey12, I will remove the plug (hopefully), electricity turned off first of course! after lunch with baby brother

​no problem
    hope you get/got sorted.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Driving without wing mirror?legal?1923
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1871348
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767354
      4. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…2868

See more discussions