Add light switch to existing circuit

Posted 3rd Mar
Hi all
A bedroom in our house has 2 lights, one near the bed and one in the main part of the room. They are controlled by a two way switch. I wanted to add a switch near the bed only for the light on top of the bed so that the light near the bed can be switched off when In bed. I have attached a diagram, sorry for the poor artwork . Am I right in thinking I need to get a standard light switch run the light cable down, connect it, and run it back to that light? Thanks in advance.
3416892-C6SN4.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
20 Comments
I’m sure you will need to run a wire from the 2 way switch (the 2nd light) to the new switch
You will not need to run a wire from the light to the switch as the 2 way switch will power this
shef007203/03/2020 22:17

You will not need to run a wire from the light to the switch as the 2 way …You will not need to run a wire from the light to the switch as the 2 way switch will power this

the switches are quite far apart, is it not possible to ‘attach’ a switch to the bed light
masterhussain03/03/2020 22:18

the switches are quite far apart, is it not possible to ‘attach’ a switch t …the switches are quite far apart, is it not possible to ‘attach’ a switch to the bed light

You will need power from somewhere, if you connect from the light you may find it’s constantly on or won’t switch off
Sorry not electrician
You may be better off getting a WiFi bulb for the bedroom light no additional wiring potentially
shef007203/03/2020 22:23

You will need power from somewhere, if you connect from the light you may …You will need power from somewhere, if you connect from the light you may find it’s constantly on or won’t switch off

Oh I assumed that putting a switch in would act as an in line sort of cut off
Needs more dragons 🐲

40037382-UToA4.jpg
Edited by: "richp" 3rd Mar
Do you want the lights to become completely independent? So switch A controls only light A, switch B controls only light B.
Get an extension lead & plug your lamp into that.
Reading the replies, I'd probably advise you not to seek the advice of anyone here....
A remote controlled bulb might suit, not too expensive either
ebay.co.uk/itm…549
If by two way switch, you actually mean a single switch panel with two switches on it, that is called a 2 gang light switch.

Two way light switches have three terminals for each switch, so that they can be used in two way lighting circuits, like you find on staircases, which would be the usual method of doing what you want, however you would need to install triple and earth cable to the existing switch and replace the switch with a 2g 2w one, unless it happens to be one.

40037985-lQ3x3.jpg
lightwiring.co.uk/two…rs/
Edited by: "melted" 4th Mar
You could buy one of these from EBay. 254473289714
Much easier to get some voice controlled bulbs ie Philips Hue. You can dim them and switch them off with phone app or Google mini /Alexa
Another option would be to use an RF switch by your bed and install a 433mhz RF light switch module in the terminal box for the light fitting if there is room or in a junction box.

Something similar to this amazon.co.uk/Thi…WHY

However, you would need an RF module that can be configured so that the light will be on when the module is powered up, so that the light will come on when you turn the existing wall switch on (powering up the module), I've no idea if the one above supports that, the normal default will be off.

Another option use a smart bulb.
Edited by: "melted" 4th Mar
Get someone a qualified electrician in to quote/do the work before you blow yourself, your existing cableing or your house up lmao.

Even if someone on here was to tell you the exact correct way how to wire this, the above could still happen.

I'm pretty sure I have my bedroom the way you want yours.
However I had an electrician in to basically re-wire my entire house when it was being renovated and he had to raggle lots of cables through the loft and down the walls to achieve this as there was not existing wiring for it obviously.
shef007203/03/2020 22:26

You may be better off getting a WiFi bulb for the bedroom light no …You may be better off getting a WiFi bulb for the bedroom light no additional wiring potentially

It is a flat led ceiling light in the attic so wouldn't
I'm highly dubious of buying electrical fittings from Amazon, but there's a wifi module designed to be used as a 2 way switch with an existing switch here if using a smart phone is convenient:- amazon.co.uk/MOE…h=1

Would need to connect to the mains wiring for the light fitting and would need to use a junction box/enclosure as the terminals are exposed, and preferably not be buried under loft insulation.
Genuinely if you have to ask on here, I advise against doing trying to do it yourself. One small mistake can result in either fatality or severe injuries. Jobs like this should only be carried out by a "competent person" you don't really need a fully qualified electrician to come and do it, but a day to day handy man could probably do it for you for £30-60 including materials. So if I sound condescending , I do not mean to, and nor to be rude at all.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants