add storage space onto your iphone/ipad!

LocalFound 30th Mar 2016
Just found this little trick online and its great gone from 200mb to 829

First go to settings, general storage & icloud usage to check your available storage.

Go to the films section in itunes and find a film which had a bigger file size than what you had free. (On the homepage is bridge of spies thats 5.79GB)

Click to rent it you wont be charged! You will get an error saying you don't have enough space, on that error click the settings option and now check your storage space again!

Repeat it a few times to get more space.
Community Updates
MisciPhoneStorageiPad
63 Comments
You should have saved this until Friday.

Edit: I take that back! Thank you, it has worked. It showed up as 'cleaning' on my FB app and also on Safari.
Edited by: "Angel_Of_The_North" 30th Mar 2016
How much storage did it add?
It works because apple tries to clear all the crap to give you more space so you can download the film
I'm guessing it clears old install files and cache etc. to clear up space.
had 2.1 free now 2.3
Worked for me, did it a few times n went from 345mb to 869,
Didn't work.....
Jazzy what did you do?
It's deleted all the data from a game I've been playing for months
jazzywildchild

Didn't work.....

it only clears the cache so if there is nothing there to clean you wont see any extra space.

Just make sure you hit the HD version of the film the SD one might be small enough to download
Is this for iCloud storage?
tpang

Is this for iCloud storage?

no, only clears the phones memory
Don't work got charged for a film !!!
Just add a memory card.. Oh wait. It's an apple.. You can't
Went from 600mb free to 1.4gb. Thanks!
Definitely works. I had 5gb free, tried to download The Two Towers a few times and now I have 8.1gb free.
this was sourced from the daily mail newspaper
Am I missing something - so you are clearing off files to make more space... erm.. Isn't this what happens on every phone?!?
kick_u_in_the_nuts

this was sourced from the daily mail newspaper

The Daily Mail often get their news from Reddit, which is where the article you saw on/in the Daily Mail got this information from.
Edited by: "RossD89" 6th Apr 2016
Yummyc4ke

Don't work got charged for a film !!!

Then you didnt check your storage beforehand.
wjaxn

Am I missing something - so you are clearing off files to make more … Am I missing something - so you are clearing off files to make more space... erm.. Isn't this what happens on every phone?!?

It clears files that we dont have access to
SkyBlu75

It clears files that we dont have access to

oO Oh. Wow.
wjaxn

oO Oh. Wow.

Is that sarcasm?
SkyBlu75

Is that sarcasm?

​noooo.. never... (_;)
Received an invoice for my non rental today, and checked and a payment had reduced my credit. Had to report a problem. Check for an email if you tried this.
How do u not pay for "rent" of these movies to enable the free space??
Monanelly

How do u not pay for "rent" of these movies to enable the free space??

You dont it wont let you rent it because you dont have enough space.
SkyBlu75

You dont it wont let you rent it because you dont have enough space.

So do u have to pay for rent to get free space?
Why not just expand your devices memory with an sd card, what year do you think this is, 1990
Monanelly

So do u have to pay for rent to get free space?

No, when you click "rent" apple checks that you have enough space to rent it, if not it deletes loads of unnecessary files and data to try and make space to rent.
SkyBlu75

No, when you click "rent" apple checks that you have enough space to rent … No, when you click "rent" apple checks that you have enough space to rent it, if not it deletes loads of unnecessary files and data to try and make space to rent.

I had my iTunes credit reduced and an invoice sent by Apple and got the error message, have an escalation in with them at the moment. Worth checking just in case they have changed the process.
Edited by: "eslick" 9th Apr 2016
Just tried this and didn't work for me! The whole movie downloaded and didn't change my storage and now bn billed for £4.99!
Monanelly

Just tried this and didn't work for me! The whole movie downloaded and … Just tried this and didn't work for me! The whole movie downloaded and didn't change my storage and now bn billed for £4.99!

Well if the whole movie downloaded you didnt follow the instructions, you had to check that your storage available was less than than the movie you was renting -.-
It was telling me that I had 31.3 storage available b4 I started and the movie was 5.?? So I thought it wouldv worked but obviously didn't so I give up!
This will wipe login data and save data within apps so you may need to restore purchases or login to any apps with subs and in app purchases
How do you do this..... just woundering...
Worked for me. Thanks
smithylee789

How do you do this..... just woundering...

Read what I put..
This is great thanks! Just got 1.8GB extra space by doing this.
This is just cleaning the app caches which happens automatically anyway when you run out of space.

> App “Cleaning” Means Dumping Caches, Local Data, & Temp Files. In short, when an iOS app name says “Cleaning”, it means that the operating system is going through and clearing out caches and temporary files associated with the app in question.

Some apps incorrectly store critical data in these directories so you may end up losing data. Over time with normal usage these caches will get re-filled with data anyway and you end up back to square one. The best way to free up space is simply to delete apps and data you don't use.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants