adding 2nd person to my car insurance, exspensive?

14 replies
Found 15th Mar 2011
Hi i was thinking about adding my girlfriend to my car insurance policy but was wondering does it cost alot more ? she has a full driving licence

thanks

13 Comments

It will depend on a lot of things: Your girlfriends age, past convictions, claims etc.
I'd suggest you try a comparison site - they will give you a price without forcing you into buying.

it might even bring the cost down.

Phone them and ask!

I was going to add my Misses who has had a provisional for around 6-7 years & was quoted just over £2000 & so I told the misses the buses are still running.

I am sure mine was around £40.

I have just added my daughter, who passed her test last Wednesday aged 18. It cost me 493.00 extra until end of October this year.

I am always puzzled why I get a lower insurance quote when I add the missus to my car insurance rather than leave her off.

So we always end up adding each other to our respective policies even though I wouldn't be seen dead in her car and she will never drive mine.
Edited by: "melipona" 15th Mar 2011

melipona

I am always puzzled why I get a lower insurance quote when I add the … I am always puzzled why I get a lower insurance quote when I add the missus to my car insurance rather than leave her off. So we always end up adding each other to our respective policies even though I wouldn't be seen dead in her car and she will never drive mine.

They think you will share the driving, reducing the risk off accident. Teco stipulate that we had to be living together. No extra charge but we have both been driving for over 10 years claim free

[/quote]
They think you will share the driving, reducing the risk off accident. Teco stipulate that we had to be living together. No extra charge but we have both been driving for over 10 years claim free[/quote]

Not sure I follow the logic It seems to me that more drivers would usually mean more driving which means more exposure to risk, which would usually suggest an increase in premium. Though this does not seem to be the case.
I have surmised that people in a relationship tend to be more mature and so may statistical be a lower accident risk, this offsets the risk from increased driving time.

melipona

Not sure I follow the logic It seems to me that more drivers would … Not sure I follow the logic It seems to me that more drivers would usually mean more driving which means more exposure to risk, which would usually suggest an increase in premium. Though this does not seem to be the case. I have surmised that people in a relationship tend to be more mature and so may statistical be a lower accident risk, this offsets the risk from increased driving time.

I suppose the logic is that you state an estimate of the miles driven per year, therefore if more than 1 person is driving then the driving is indeed shared hence less risk of accident etc.

I've been doing as bit of checking as my policy's up at the end of the month, looks like adding my girlfriend will save me about £100, not too shabby....

Varies a lot. in the case of my Girlfriend adding me it dropped her insurance a lot.

Banned

Adding the GF cost me nothing. Adding 1000 business miles cost me a penny. I think the insurance companies just make it up as they go along.

The wife's insurance is £90 cheaper by adding me.

some years adding oh has reduced the premium
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition59608
    2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions