Adding a 15mm isolator vave into a copper pipe with no flex

Found 27th Apr
I have a pipe in the wall behind plaster (it is now exposed) that goes to the outside tap. Having had problems outside, I want to add an isolator valve on the pipe run inside the house.

Problem is that there is no slack in the pipe. I can cut it but it doesn't move enough to add a normal valve.

I have seen the EasyFit Isolator at £45 but am wondering if someone has seen a compression valve with a long neck on one side?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
toolstation.com/shop/p36879

£45 to fit something that will do the same job as something that costs £0.84. Just cut the pipe and fit one of these. If you don’t feel comfortable enough doing that, pay a plumber. The easyfit stuff can be ok but they also can go wrong if not installed correctly and make a mess when you turn the water on.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 27th Apr
Cut pipe and run a new section to tap. Or just use what you have. By removing and replacing one section you can put isolator in. Think you always need a to be able to turn tap off inside if you get problems as you say..
cmdr_elito5 m ago

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p36879£45 to fit something that will do …https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p36879£45 to fit something that will do the same job as something that costs £0.84. Just cut the pipe and fit one of these. If you don’t feel comfortable enough doing that, pay a plumber.

I think the issue is there is no slack in the pipe to fit one in.
markvirgo5 m ago

I think the issue is there is no slack in the pipe to fit one in.

Slack or length. There’s shouldn’t be slack in a copper pipe, if there is I’d be worried. The item that was linked isn’t far off the same size so if space is an issue not sure it’s going to resolve it.
cmdr_elito11 m ago

Slack or length. There’s shouldn’t be slack in a copper pipe, if there is I …Slack or length. There’s shouldn’t be slack in a copper pipe, if there is I’d be worried. The item that was linked isn’t far off the same size so if space is an issue not sure it’s going to resolve it.

I think what op is saying is. Even if they cut a section out the pipe they will need to move/part to allow isolator to be fitted. The pipes fit a little inside isolation valve. They can't move the pipes so isolator can't be fitted.
wayners8 m ago

I think what op is saying is. Even if they cut a section out the pipe they …I think what op is saying is. Even if they cut a section out the pipe they will need to move/part to allow isolator to be fitted. The pipes fit a little inside isolation valve. They can't move the pipes so isolator can't be fitted.

You got it. Am beginning to think it's a matter of taking 6" out, reducing it to fit he valve on one end and then using a solder sleeve to join the pipes at the second cut.
Speedfit x Speedfit With Service Valve might be suitable if you have enough length to cut

jtmplumbing.co.uk/joh…BwE

33708659-L6FXI.jpg
Edited by: "chocci" 27th Apr
chocci23 m ago

Speedfit x Speedfit With Service Valve might be suitable if you have …Speedfit x Speedfit With Service Valve might be suitable if you have enough length to cuthttps://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/john-guest-speedfit-c432/john-guest-speedfit-flexible-hoses-c169/john-guest-speedfit-speedfit-x-speedfit-with-service-valve-p2663/s2665?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=john-guest-speedfit-john-guest-flexi-hose-speedfit-x-speedfit-with-ser-speedfit-flexi-flx45-15mm-x-15mm-x-500mm-flx45&utm_campaign=product+listing+ads&gclid=CjwKCAjwlIvXBRBjEiwATWAQIlCbJzvLM8JkPqmVDNrHZnjjzVOITSJYLCz2HmpsxOnGOA_NAvBVwhoCa7MQAvD_BwE[Image]

THANK YOU.
ccnp36 m ago

You got it. Am beginning to think it's a matter of taking 6" out, …You got it. Am beginning to think it's a matter of taking 6" out, reducing it to fit he valve on one end and then using a solder sleeve to join the pipes at the second cut.

Might be easier if you put a picture up of the affected area.
Repair fitting perhaps?

screwfix.com/p/r…529

33709214-B5dJR.jpg
I use to have some end feed fittings which didn't have a ridge in the centre allowing them to slip over the copper tube so you could joint a pipe where you couldn't slide the ends apart. These look like the type:- vpsplumbing.co.uk/pro…BwE

Found a solder ring version:- screwfix.com/p/s…343
Edited by: "melted" 27th Apr
Flexi pipe...

Buy a £5 lever valve and do it properly. There will be enough flex when you cut it, if it's tight just cut a a smidgen more out than needed (there's enough 'slip' in compression valves).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants