Groups

Adding a subtitle file to an mkv file?

I've downloaded a 6gb film which also has a subtitle file with it, how do i add the subtitles to the mkv file? or is there a way to add them to a mpeg file as i used mkv2vob to convert the mkv to a file playable on my ps3

the subtitle file i have is a .sfv file

16 Comments

Play the movie, then drag the subtitles file over the film.

mkv2vob has a "automatic add subs" check box when converting I believe

sfv file?? should be srt/idx or sub there too m8-this isnt "carlos" by any chance is it?

Original Poster

woddle1000;8774048

i didn't realise mkv2vob could do it,i'll have a look

http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/693674/adding-a-subtitle-file-to-an-mkv-fi/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=8774056=barky;8774056]sfv file?? should be srt/idx or sub there too m8-this isnt "carlos" by any chance is it?

yeah it's just an sfv file, no srt file..it's the film "the prophet"

souljacker;8774097

i didn't realise mkv2vob could do it,i'll have a lookyeah it's just an … i didn't realise mkv2vob could do it,i'll have a lookyeah it's just an sfv file, no srt file..it's the film "the prophet"

prophet is amazing-enjoy.

Original Poster

barky;8774106

prophet is amazing-enjoy.

yeah i've heard good things about it, just need to get these sub sorted:)

im pretty sure a sfv is just to tell you the contents of the files you have downloaded not the subs, have you tried skipping through the film to see if they are hardcoded? (burnt onto the film)

woddle1000;8774048

^^This

Original Poster

woddle1000;8774048

it's got 2 options "always transcode subtitles" and "load subtitles from file"

do i selecet both?

yes, leave the SRT file in the same folder as the MKV

an sfv file is a checksum file, used to make sure that everything has been downloaded correctly.

A subtitle file can have many diff formats: srt, sub....etc

If there are no other files, then I can think of 3 things:
    -the sub file is embedded in the container and just needs to be turned on in the player.
    -the subs are hardcoded.
    -there are no subs

Original Poster

amzmalhotra;8775028

an sfv file is a checksum file, used to make sure that everything has … an sfv file is a checksum file, used to make sure that everything has been downloaded correctly.A subtitle file can have many diff formats: srt, sub....etcIf there are no other files, then I can think of 3 things: -the sub file is embedded in the container and just needs to be turned on in the player.-the subs are hardcoded.-there are no subs

it's not embedded in the file, not hardcoded and there are subs for this film as i've got a dvd rip, looks like i'll just have to find the srt file from somewhere else

subtitles should already be in the mkv, if playing with vlc, right click whilst playing and go to video and then subtitles and then click the language and it should come up

agreed with jat r.

The mkv will have the subtitles already included within the MKV file.

check subscene.com for the srt
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?33202
      2. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1221
      3. Any PS4 News Here29213624
      4. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?919

See more discussions