Groups

Adding air conditioning to the car, possible???

Am doing a long road trip in a few days across France, it's gonna be really hot and I have no air conditioning.

So, can I add it on??? Basically buy one of the air conditioning units and plug it into my power inverter in the car rather than in the house? Will it draw too much power? I think my inverter handles about 800W.

Cheers!

11 Comments

could probably do that however id say one of those will drain a lol of power.

just opens the windows gives a similar effect lol

Original Poster

king261;2701810

could probably do that however id say one of those will drain a lol of … could probably do that however id say one of those will drain a lol of power.just opens the windows gives a similar effect lol

Don't like the windows open driving at 80mph, it's uncomfortable, noisy and consumes more power because of the extra drag than having AC on.

Buy a dashboard fan instead. Much better idea, I think. Probably find one at Maplins or Halfords.

Banned

Air Conditioning really is needed. I went to Spain for a couple of weeks and it was scorching. Getting in the car,closing all the windows and leaving the aircon a couple of minutes to boot up made it so comfortable. However, when you get out because your so cool, the heat instantly sticks to you. Your still be hot with the windows just open.

Original Poster

diy.com/diy…lse

This any good? Or is air cooling rubbish compared to air conditioning?

rent a car that has a/c. This would also save the extra miles on your own car.

Benjimoron;2701860

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9376860&fh_view_size=6&fh_start_index=24&fh_eds=%3f&fh_sort_order=1&fh_sort_by=_price_rrp_min&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b10096%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b10098%7d&fh_refview=lister&ts=1218179589823&isSearch=falseThis any good? Or is air cooling rubbish compared to air conditioning?

It will be a struggle to fit it on the dashboard!
    Width (mm): 380
    Depth (mm): 370
    Height (mm): 685
    And you need to keep topping it up with ice to provide any cooling.

No, you're not being realistic.

you can get proper AC retro fitted to cars....probably not worth it though unless you're keeping the car for a decent amount of time.

Original Poster

niallmoran;2704053

you can get proper AC retro fitted to cars....probably not worth it … you can get proper AC retro fitted to cars....probably not worth it though unless you're keeping the car for a decent amount of time.

Going in 3 days, think it'd be too expensive for the few times I'd use it. At least a cheap AC unit I could then use indoors.

Benjimoron;2704338

Going in 3 days, think it'd be too expensive for the few times I'd use … Going in 3 days, think it'd be too expensive for the few times I'd use it. At least a cheap AC unit I could then use indoors.

Stick to using it indoors and put up with the heat for a few days.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do these 2 men have in common1218
      2. Can't delete friends on Xbox 360 or accept any friend requests, anyone know…34
      3. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio79
      4. Any Xbox One news today?2356127

See more discussions