Adding AV Speakers

Posted 26th Nov
Hi,
Currently got a Pioneer VSX-832.
Using with it my old surround speakers which are Tannoy SFX (I've got left, right and center).

Looking to get a reasonably priced sub to go with it and saw this on Richer Sounds - Yamaha YSTFSW050 - Would this go well with the current setup?

I've also noticed RS doing a Tannoy Center Speaker- Tannoy ECLIPSE CENTRE - Would this offer much improvement from my current center SFX?

Thanks in advance!

Sub - richersounds.com/pro…tml

Center - richersounds.com/pro…tml
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

4 Comments
What kind of budget do you have? I wouldn't bother with that Yamaha sub tbh, it's so cheap for good reason. A reasonably priced sub is more along the lines of the Elac Debut S10.2 for £119 which i think is probably the cheapest 10" sub at the moment, while still not great it will do a job when the budget is tight. Tbh at low budget you're far better off looking at the second hand market as the jump in quality between a new <£150 sub and say a £200 BK Gemini II is quite significant.

As for the centre yes that would be a decent improvement on the one you have but make sure it fits into any plans you have for also upgrading the front L&R speakers as you generally want the front 3 to all have a similar sound signature.
Zooicidal26/11/2019 11:14

What kind of budget do you have? I wouldn't bother with that Yamaha sub …What kind of budget do you have? I wouldn't bother with that Yamaha sub tbh, it's so cheap for good reason. A reasonably priced sub is more along the lines of the Elac Debut S10.2 for £119 which i think is probably the cheapest 10" sub at the moment, while still not great it will do a job when the budget is tight. Tbh at low budget you're far better off looking at the second hand market as the jump in quality between a new <£150 sub and say a £200 BK Gemini II is quite significant.As for the centre yes that would be a decent improvement on the one you have but make sure it fits into any plans you have for also upgrading the front L&R speakers as you generally want the front 3 to all have a similar sound signature.

Thanks for the reply.
Ideally as cheap as possible! Not having a sub and haven't had one for about 5 years, just wondered whether this would make much difference.

Only use the AV to watch a few tv shows, bit of youtube and cast music.
powerful_Rogue26/11/2019 11:55

Thanks for the reply.Ideally as cheap as possible! Not having a sub and …Thanks for the reply.Ideally as cheap as possible! Not having a sub and haven't had one for about 5 years, just wondered whether this would make much difference.Only use the AV to watch a few tv shows, bit of youtube and cast music.

The satellite speakers you are using were never meant to be used without a sub, adding one should make a very significant of difference. Assuming the combined price of the centre and sub you listed is your max i'd personally just spend it all on a sub for now, you'll get more of an improvement from that alone than splitting it into the cheap sub and centre. Remember a sub isn't just about adding heavy bass, when you have it setup properly with the crossover settings on the amp it will fill in the mid range frequencies that your satellite speakers aren't capable of.

That poor VSX-832 of yours has been vastly under-used!
Edited by: "Zooicidal" 26th Nov
Zooicidal26/11/2019 12:11

The satellite speakers you are using were never meant to be used without a …The satellite speakers you are using were never meant to be used without a sub, adding one should make a very significant of difference. Assuming the combined price of the centre and sub you listed is your max i'd personally just spend it all on a sub for now, you'll get more of an improvement from that alone than splitting it into the cheap sub and centre. Remember a sub isn't just about adding heavy bass, when you have it setup properly with the crossover settings on the amp it will fill in the mid range frequencies that your satellite speakers aren't capable of.That poor VSX-832 of yours has been vastly under-used!

Very true! It's only a few months old and replaced an Onkyo which was taking 5 minutes after turning on to send an image to the TV. I've kept it safe hoping that it's an easy fix one day, as apart from that was working fine!

When I got the Onkyo, I had the 5 speakers and the sub - However the sub stopped working many years ago and I didnt want use the two rear speakers.

Will have to look into this further now! Thank you
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions