Adding more Pc Ram

Found 15th Apr
Hi there, I currently have the attached Ram sticks installed, 8gb total.
I’d like to add an additional 8gb of the same ram.
This might be a no brainier, but do I just buy another 2 and place them in?

Is there anything to watch out for?

HyperX FURY 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1866 MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit, Blue amazon.co.uk/dp/…XAW
Community Updates
12 Comments
Do you have the specification of your motherboard or brand and model number.

It generally is a case of buying another two sticks and adding them in although you could consider 2x8 sticks of the same version which would give you more ram.
Some of the earlier (~2007) DDR3 motherboards only supported 8GB in total and some motherboards only have two memory slots.

If neither of those apply then you should be good to go.
Why do you want another 8gb? If your just using it for general internet surfing etc you won’t notice any difference.
Original Poster
cmdr_elito5 h, 8 m ago

Do you have the specification of your motherboard or brand and model …Do you have the specification of your motherboard or brand and model number.It generally is a case of buying another two sticks and adding them in although you could consider 2x8 sticks of the same version which would give you more ram.

Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
This is the motherboard I have, which I’m sure is capable of 16gb ram

CPU - AMD FX6300 OC black edition
Graphics card - Asus AMD Radeon R9 280 DirectCU II 4Gb
Mother board - Asus M5A78L-M/USB3
PSU - Corsair CX600 ATX
RAM - HyperX FURY 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1866 MHz

This is my gaming rig, it’s aging as I now have other priorities that have taken me away from flooding my rig with cash.
I was hoping the extra ram would ease the load on my pc, or is it a waste of time?

Playing Pubg, Battle field 1 and ghost recon wild lands, whenever there’s close combat and a lot of gunfire my frame rate drops quite a bit, so was hoping adding the ram would pull me out a hole for a short while. What’s your thoughts?

Gaming through Razor, virgin media fastest internet, trying to give you as much detail as possible.
Original Poster
Meluk94 h, 17 m ago

Why do you want another 8gb? If your just using it for general internet …Why do you want another 8gb? If your just using it for general internet surfing etc you won’t notice any difference.

It’s for gaming 😁. Parts are getting old compared to today’s spec but still goes!

Remember to open the flaps on each side first
Gregorj34 m ago

Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 This is the motherboard I have, which I’m sure is c …Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 This is the motherboard I have, which I’m sure is capable of 16gb ramCPU - AMD FX6300 OC black edition Graphics card - Asus AMD Radeon R9 280 DirectCU II 4GbMother board - Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 PSU - Corsair CX600 ATXRAM - HyperX FURY 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1866 MHzThis is my gaming rig, it’s aging as I now have other priorities that have taken me away from flooding my rig with cash. I was hoping the extra ram would ease the load on my pc, or is it a waste of time? Playing Pubg, Battle field 1 and ghost recon wild lands, whenever there’s close combat and a lot of gunfire my frame rate drops quite a bit, so was hoping adding the ram would pull me out a hole for a short while. What’s your thoughts?Gaming through Razor, virgin media fastest internet, trying to give you as much detail as possible.

Well another 8 gb will help a bit (your mobo can take up to 32gb). asus.com/uk/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/specifications/

I would also suggest adding an SSD if you haven’t got one already, that will noticeably speed up loading times etc

Then I’d suggest upgrading your system at some point when your ready as I’d imagine it’s getting a bit past it
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 15th Apr
Original Poster
cmdr_elito4 m ago

Well another 8 gb will help a bit (your mobo can take up to 32gb). …Well another 8 gb will help a bit (your mobo can take up to 32gb). asus.com/uk/Motherboards/M5A78LMUSB3/specifications/I would also suggest adding an SSD if you haven’t got one already, that will noticeably speed up loading times etcThen I’d suggest upgrading your system at some point when your ready as I’d imagine it’s getting a bit past it

Thanks ever so much for your time definitely appreciated!
Gregorj1 h, 6 m ago

I was hoping the extra ram would ease the load on my pc, or is it a waste …I was hoping the extra ram would ease the load on my pc, or is it a waste of time?

More memory only helps when you don't have enough. Excess does nothing.

Does the memory usage get close to 8GB in the situations you describe?
Original Poster
EndlessWaves4 h, 6 m ago

More memory only helps when you don't have enough. Excess does …More memory only helps when you don't have enough. Excess does nothing.Does the memory usage get close to 8GB in the situations you describe?

6gb maximum being used throughout playing 30mins of each game, which means I don’t have a ram issue?
Gregorj14 h, 47 m ago

6gb maximum being used throughout playing 30mins of each game, which means …6gb maximum being used throughout playing 30mins of each game, which means I don’t have a ram issue?

By the game or by everything?

It does seem unlikely that more capacity will help. Higher bandwidth (speeds) can help with long frames, especially as the FX CPUs were weak in that area. It may be worth overclocking the memory as well as the CPU, although it's probably not going to make a big difference as you're already at 1866.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves22 h, 35 m ago

By the game or by everything?It does seem unlikely that more capacity will …By the game or by everything?It does seem unlikely that more capacity will help. Higher bandwidth (speeds) can help with long frames, especially as the FX CPUs were weak in that area. It may be worth overclocking the memory as well as the CPU, although it's probably not going to make a big difference as you're already at 1866.

That’s by everything including the game? For that figure sound right?
I overclocked my cpu and gameplay is a hell of a lot smoother!
4.1 with stable temps and voltages
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions