Groups
    EXPIRED

Adding my name to a property deed

My husband bought our house before we got married so only his name is on the property deed. We are looking into adding my name to the deed. It will be a gift as spouse can gift property to each other.

I will get a solicitor to add my name to the deed but wonder if it is possible to do this myself by completing the appropriate land registry forms. Anyone got any experience and can comment on whether I need a solicitor for this or can I do it myself?

29 Comments

Is the property mortgage free?

Original Poster

ericagradus

Is the property mortgage free?

There is no mortgage on the property as my husband bought it for cash.

TR1 for transfer (you will need your title number for the property for both forms https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry)
    AP1 to register
    Use landregistry.data.gov.uk/fee…tml for fee
    You will need a solicitor to do an ID1 form for you and your husband if you are not represented by a solicitor, but there will be a nominal charge for this.
    Above info is all based on your title not havign any restrictions.

Show your husband this reply.

DON'T DO IT! If you are really serious just make a will as you can change it if you need to in the future.

Original Poster

markvirgo

Show your husband this reply.DON'T DO IT! If you are really serious just … Show your husband this reply.DON'T DO IT! If you are really serious just make a will as you can change it if you need to in the future.

what is the disadvantage of adding my name to the deed? i have read that if a spouse dies and the home is in the deceased spouse's name then the property has to go through probate, whether there is a will or not, and that means a lot of fees as probate fees are dependent on the value of the estate.

Original Poster

ericagradus

TR1 for transfer (you will need your title number for the property for … TR1 for transfer (you will need your title number for the property for both forms https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry)AP1 to registerUse http://landregistry.data.gov.uk/fees-calculator.html for feeYou will need a solicitor to do an ID1 form for you and your husband if you are not represented by a solicitor, but there will be a nominal charge for this.Above info is all based on your title not havign any restrictions.

Thanks for the info. If I need a solicitor for ID1 form, I might as well get them to do the other forms as I would guess that their fee will not increase much filling in 3 forms as opposed to 1?

Do you know how much I should be expecting to pay?

mutley1

what is the disadvantage of adding my name to the deed? i have read that … what is the disadvantage of adding my name to the deed? i have read that if a spouse dies and the home is in the deceased spouse's name then the property has to go through probate, whether there is a will or not, and that means a lot of fees as probate fees are dependent on the value of the estate.

there is no disadvantage for you in adding your name to his deed. for him it is rather different. he bought the property before you were together. does he have an family or children ? he needs proper advice and not for you to just organise it.

that's the betting that you don't mention that to him ???

mutley1

what is the disadvantage of adding my name to the deed? i have read that … what is the disadvantage of adding my name to the deed? i have read that if a spouse dies and the home is in the deceased spouse's name then the property has to go through probate, whether there is a will or not, and that means a lot of fees as probate fees are dependent on the value of the estate.

Disadvantige is for your husband who has paid out and now giving half his property away.
    No offence to you as I don't know you but the percentage of marriages that last are very slim.

I have a joint mortage with the wife who has paid half all the way through. I wouldn't sign half of it away if it was solely mine to anyone.

Original Poster

jonnithomas

there is no disadvantage for you in adding your name to his deed. for him … there is no disadvantage for you in adding your name to his deed. for him it is rather different. he bought the property before you were together. does he have an family or children ? he needs proper advice and not for you to just organise it. that's the betting that you don't mention that to him ???

He will need to sign the form surely so it won't be possible to get this done without his consent. Lol.

He doesn't have any family except his parents but he is not going to leave the house to his parents, who are likely to pass away before he does and so he will end up inheriting their assets as he is an only child. We don't have any children. He has already said that he is leaving everything to me if he passes away before me and vice versa.

lol, I wasn't suggesting that you would !!! I was saying that there could be negatives for him and none for you.

just a thought. if you die before he does hasn't he increased your estate by doing this ? dependant upon value couldn't he then have to pay death duty ?

mutley1

Thanks for the info. If I need a solicitor for ID1 form, I might as well … Thanks for the info. If I need a solicitor for ID1 form, I might as well get them to do the other forms as I would guess that their fee will not increase much filling in 3 forms as opposed to 1?Do you know how much I should be expecting to pay?

£5 - £20 for ID form

If you instruct a solicitor to do the whole transfer £250 - £500 as you will be a client of the firm, where as the ID form is a form of certification for identifcation
    Edited by: "ericagradus" 9th Apr

Original Poster

markvirgo

Disadvantige is for your husband who has paid out and now giving half his … Disadvantige is for your husband who has paid out and now giving half his property away. No offence to you as I don't know you but the percentage of marriages that last are very slim. I have a joint mortage with the wife who has paid half all the way through. I wouldn't sign half of it away if it was solely mine to anyone.

As a spouse, I would be entitled to a share of the property anyway on divorce as I understand that under UK law, property bought before marriage is not protected from divorce settlement? Not that I would be looking to get his assets. Lol.

Original Poster

ericagradus

£5 - £20 for ID formIf you instruct a solicitor to do the whole transfer £ … £5 - £20 for ID formIf you instruct a solicitor to do the whole transfer £250 - £500 as you will be a client of the firm, where as the ID form is a form of certification for identifcation

Thank you. I will look into this as it is a simple transaction since there is no mortgage on the property.
    You mentioned 'based on the property having no restrictions'. What do you mean by this? What sort of restrictions?

mutley1

As a spouse, I would be entitled to a share of the property anyway on … As a spouse, I would be entitled to a share of the property anyway on divorce as I understand that under UK law, property bought before marriage is not protected from divorce settlement? Not that I would be looking to get his assets. Lol.

Not always

Click me

Original Poster

jonnithomas

lol, I wasn't suggesting that you would !!! I was saying that there … lol, I wasn't suggesting that you would !!! I was saying that there could be negatives for him and none for you.just a thought. if you die before he does hasn't he increased your estate by doing this ? dependant upon value couldn't he then have to pay death duty ?

A property that is jointly owned does not have to go through the probate process I believe so there will be no additional costs as far as I understand.

well it's difficult to know without personal details which are inappropriate.

1. does he have any illegitimate children or children that he doesn't want you to know about for whatever reason. is there a family skeleton such as an unknown sibling.
    2. nobody knows the future and he could leave you (sorry being blunt)
    3. He could divorce and remarry a young blonde bit of fluff.
    4. It depends on the value of the property and all his other assets whether its worthwhile doing it.

Original Poster

jonnithomas

well it's difficult to know without personal details which are … well it's difficult to know without personal details which are inappropriate. 1. does he have any illegitimate children or children that he doesn't want you to know about for whatever reason. is there a family skeleton such as an unknown sibling.2. nobody knows the future and he could leave you (sorry being blunt)3. He could divorce and remarry a young blonde bit of fluff.4. It depends on the value of the property and all his other assets whether its worthwhile doing it.

He doesn't have any children and I don't see what an unknown sibling has to do with inheriting his assets as why would he want to leave his assets to an unknown sibling and not his wife? I guess you mean if we get divorced.

I agree that marriages do not always last and it could end up with me leaving him, although I have no plan to do this.

Anyway, this is not the discussion for us. Just how are we going to get my name on the deed. We have already discussed this and my husband is happy to gift half of the property to me.

no need for a solicitor at all. We did it all ourselves, just meant filling out the previously mentioned forms and a trip to the land registry office.

We needed to do this, as i was adding my wife to the mortgage which was just in my name. And apparently, if the mortgage is in a joint name, then the deeds must be to.

Original Poster

Rich069

no need for a solicitor at all. We did it all ourselves, just meant … no need for a solicitor at all. We did it all ourselves, just meant filling out the previously mentioned forms and a trip to the land registry office.We needed to do this, as i was adding my wife to the mortgage which was just in my name. And apparently, if the mortgage is in a joint name, then the deeds must be to.

why trip to the land registry office, where are they located? could it not be done in the post?

do you remember how much the land registry fee is? a link from a post above is below but I am uncertain which application applies to ascertain the fee.

landregistry.data.gov.uk/fee…tml

mutley1

He doesn't have any children and I don't see what an unknown sibling has … He doesn't have any children and I don't see what an unknown sibling has to do with inheriting his assets as why would he want to leave his assets to an unknown sibling and not his wife? I guess you mean if we get divorced.I agree that marriages do not always last and it could end up with me leaving him, although I have no plan to do this. :)Anyway, this is not the discussion for us. Just how are we going to get my name on the deed. We have already discussed this and my husband is happy to gift half of the property to me.

my point was simply to list a few examples of possible flies in the ointment. he may not know whether he has any children. they can just pop up. similarly siblings. whilst he may not wish to leave any of his estate to anyone else once dead it can be disputed.

these are example potential issues which could pop up once there is a death. I had an instance of unknown cousins appearing and disputing beneficiaries. there was no will found of a relative that I saw very regularly. their existence was not know about until probate was being processed and it was in the paper.

so the suggestion was that he needs proper advice and a will properly produced. it could all be fine but I lost quite a lot because of things not being done properly.

Original Poster

jonnithomas

my point was simply to list a few examples of possible flies in the … my point was simply to list a few examples of possible flies in the ointment. he may not know whether he has any children. they can just pop up. similarly siblings. whilst he may not wish to leave any of his estate to anyone else once dead it can be disputed.these are example potential issues which could pop up once there is a death. I had an instance of unknown cousins appearing and disputing beneficiaries. there was no will found of a relative that I saw very regularly. their existence was not know about until probate was being processed and it was in the paper.so the suggestion was that he needs proper advice and a will properly produced. it could all be fine but I lost quite a lot because of things not being done properly.

i note your point about a will. we need to get round to the will at some point as it will make things clearer.

mutley1

why trip to the land registry office, where are they located? could it … why trip to the land registry office, where are they located? could it not be done in the post?do you remember how much the land registry fee is? a link from a post above is below but I am uncertain which application applies to ascertain the fee.http://landregistry.data.gov.uk/fees-calculator.html

​the land registry office i went to was in Peterborough.

I dont remember the reason-maybe instead of needing the solicitor for the id??

Everything i did was researched from the land registry website, and at the time (about 5 years ago), i saved myself £400-£500 than letting a solicitor do it.

I have done it. There really is no need for a solicitor. All the info you need is on the website and if you actually make an appointment they check it over for you, etc.

Original Poster

@rich069 and @mikepcon - cheers guys.

It is not worth me getting to Peterborough as I am in Surrey. It will be better that I pay the solicitors to do the ID forms and send in the other forms to the land registry.

This site is getting painful with people giving nonsense and unwanted opinions. The correct answer is given at the start by ericagradus.

Its very simple as said TR, AP, and ID1 which a solicitor will charge around £10 for to verify your ID.

Send it to your local land registry office and job done.

Very easy and very straightforward and if there is any problems they will contact you.

Just follow the guidance and you can't go wrong.

Good Luck !!

stiffnuts

This site is getting painful with people giving nonsense and unwanted … This site is getting painful with people giving nonsense and unwanted opinions. The correct answer is given at the start by ericagradus.Its very simple as said TR, AP, and ID1 which a solicitor will charge around £10 for to verify your ID.Send it to your local land registry office and job done.Very easy and very straightforward and if there is any problems they will contact you.Just follow the guidance and you can't go wrong.Good Luck !!

I would agree with you IF the op was the only question asked However, mutley asked a further question in #5 which was then answered. once answered she then debated it so further explanation was given.

therefore after the original post was answered the scope altered. btw it wouldn't have been painful if you had stopped reading it

jonnithomas

I would agree with you IF the op was the only question asked However, … I would agree with you IF the op was the only question asked However, mutley asked a further question in #5 which was then answered. once answered she then debated it so further explanation was given.therefore after the original post was answered the scope altered. btw it wouldn't have been painful if you had stopped reading it

Fairpoint ! Its Sunday bored and I can't sleep perhaps I like pain oO

stiffnuts

Fairpoint ! Its Sunday bored and I can't sleep perhaps I like pain oO

lol.... you should meet my ex

Original Poster

stiffnuts

This site is getting painful with people giving nonsense and unwanted … This site is getting painful with people giving nonsense and unwanted opinions. The correct answer is given at the start by ericagradus.Its very simple as said TR, AP, and ID1 which a solicitor will charge around £10 for to verify your ID.Send it to your local land registry office and job done.Very easy and very straightforward and if there is any problems they will contact you.Just follow the guidance and you can't go wrong.Good Luck !!

cheers mate. i will do this as it will save me £200 to £300 by the sound of it. no point in throwing money away
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. £1 O2 Priority Lunch is ending???33
      2. Any good robotic lawn mower someone could recommend?44
      3. pringles movie codes11
      4. HELP - am i being scammed on gum tree1416

See more discussions