Groups
    EXPIRED

adding named drivers to car insurance...any cons?

yes im talking cars again!

added my brother and my sisters fella to an insurance quote and its brought the price down by £520! if i took the insurance out with their names on would they have to declare it to their insurance companies? and what happens if i crash?

23 Comments

ok no they dont need to tell their insurers and it wont have any affect on an accident if you are driving. But you must make sure that you have yourself as the main driver though not one of them as this could bring up probs if you have a crash and the look into how often etc you all drive it.

Banned

all depends.....as long as you are the main driver on the policy you should be ok but they do investigate quite thoroughly if there is any kind of claim and you have 1 of them down as the main drivers......and theyre not they will find out

just keep it above board

you dont have to tell them i dont think, my mums a named driver on my policy and we havent told her insurance company

Original Poster

Jimston;7851535

ok no they dont need to tell their insurers and it wont have any affect … ok no they dont need to tell their insurers and it wont have any affect on an accident if you are driving. But you must make sure that you have yourself as the main driver though not one of them as this could bring up probs if you have a crash and the look into how often etc you all drive it.

yeah i was down as main driver.

i wonder why its cheaper when you add drivers? seems odd to me

Original Poster

casparwhite;7851552

all depends.....as long as you are the main driver on the policy you … all depends.....as long as you are the main driver on the policy you should be ok but they do investigate quite thoroughly if there is any kind of claim and you have 1 of them down as the main drivers......and theyre not they will find outjust keep it above board

but if im down as main driver it should be ok?

my brother added his wife his pol went down £50 and she is a crap driver how does that work?

Original Poster

miles136;7851587

my brother added his wife his pol went down £50 and she is a crap driver … my brother added his wife his pol went down £50 and she is a crap driver how does that work?

i dont know. its crazy isnt it

You need to find the car first out of interest how much was your quote? guessing 4 figures with the car you want!

donna-lou;7851562

yeah i was down as main driver. i wonder why its cheaper when you add … yeah i was down as main driver. i wonder why its cheaper when you add drivers? seems odd to me

As long as the added driver is a lower risk i.e older, more experienced, female etc then the risk is reduced because only one person can drive at a time, thus a lower premium.

Also if the additional driver has another policy of their own they could get a reduction if they are the only driver on theres (again, you can only drive 1 vehicle at a time)

Original Poster

Phychlone;7851703

As long as the added driver is a lower risk i.e older, more experienced, … As long as the added driver is a lower risk i.e older, more experienced, female etc then the risk is reduced because only one person can drive at a time, thus a lower premium.Also if the additional driver has another policy of their own they could get a reduction if they are the only driver on theres (again, you can only drive 1 vehicle at a time)

theyre both older males and have had their license over 15 years. they probs will never drive my car though. does this matter?

Original Poster

harlzter;7851688

You need to find the car first out of interest how much was your quote? … You need to find the car first out of interest how much was your quote? guessing 4 figures with the car you want!

the quote was 1600 but with the 2 named drivers comes down to 1080. i test drove one today but not sure about it, but theres another thread about that haha

miles136;7851587

my brother added his wife his pol went down £50 and she is a crap driver … my brother added his wife his pol went down £50 and she is a crap driver how does that work?

Couples make for safer drivers...or so the statistics say!:whistling:

donna-lou;7851719

theyre both older males and have had their license over 15 years. they … theyre both older males and have had their license over 15 years. they probs will never drive my car though. does this matter?

So long as you are still the MAIN driver then you are breaking no laws. I know it seems too good to be true but Insurance is priced on risk assessment and if the risk is reduced (unfortunately in this case by you driving less :whistling:) then the price is reduced.

Phychlone;7851743

Couples make for safer drivers...or so the statistics say!:whistling:

LOL I BELIVE YA

Lies, damned lies and statistics

Don't forget that you MUST disclose ALL accidents and/or convictions of ALL drivers named on your policy. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure the information is up to date as if a discrepancy is discovered at the time of a claim Mr Big Bad Insurance Company COULD void your policy.

Original Poster

Phychlone;7851875

Don't forget that you MUST disclose ALL accidents and/or convictions of … Don't forget that you MUST disclose ALL accidents and/or convictions of ALL drivers named on your policy. It is YOUR responsibility to ensure the information is up to date as if a discrepancy is discovered at the time of a claim Mr Big Bad Insurance Company COULD void your policy.

these 2 have no convictions

however i havent asked if i can add them as named drivers yet, but i will be sure to have their permission when the time comes to take it out

how do I take my name off my dads insurance as I dont drive his car at all and dont want my name on as named driverwe dont even speak now

jackoo18

how do I take my name off my dads insurance as I dont drive his car at … how do I take my name off my dads insurance as I dont drive his car at all and dont want my name on as named driverwe dont even speak now

well you start by finding a 4 year old thread.......

jackoo18

how do I take my name off my dads insurance as I dont drive his car at … how do I take my name off my dads insurance as I dont drive his car at all and dont want my name on as named driverwe dont even speak now

if you know the insurance company you could start by calling them up. He might get into trouble if that is your intention ...

hi my brother reckons that if I have a accident on my insurance and he is a named driver on my policy, it will affect his own no claims and insurance is this right please help its a mind field.

sueq

hi my brother reckons that if I have a accident on my insurance and he is … hi my brother reckons that if I have a accident on my insurance and he is a named driver on my policy, it will affect his own no claims and insurance is this right please help its a mind field.

*mine field btw

no as he isn't the policy holder

aannnd this is why we should lock some old expired threads to prevent necro-bumps....
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944533
      2. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927371
      3. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1947
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767359

See more discussions