Adding sata 2.5" hdd to a Hp Pavilion X360 14-ba104na laptop

Found 3rd May
I have just purchased this laptop and want to add a second hdd to go with the m2 ssd already installed. Ive tried a Hp Sata cable but it doesn't fit in the space and the cable doesn't stretch to go into the socket.

can anyone recommend the correct parts I need?

The manual says I need a hdd sleeve which ive also bought and the hdd doesn't fit with the sleeve attached
Community Updates
AskComputers
6 Comments
Some pictures may be useful in helping the community to suggest a remedy.
Are you trying to use one of the four supported drives, as listed in the service manual for that laptop is here.
1-TB, 5400-rpm, SATA, 8-GB hybrid hard drive 762888-858
1-TB, 5400-rpm, SATA hard drive 924036-858
500-GB, 5400-rpm, SATA, 8-GB hybrid hard drive 683839-858
500-GB, 5400-rpm, SATA hard drive 731863-857

If you already have one of those and the sleeve, probably better to post on the HP suport forum where someonewith knowledge of the specific laptop can advise.

Of course, it begs the question, why do you want a spinning drive in a convertible laptop? Spinning drives do not react well to being used on the move, so having an internal SATA drive means you can't really use the X360 in tablet mode. Why not just mount the drive in a USB 3 or 3.1 caddy for use when it is in laptop mode?
Edited by: "Ar460rn" 3rd May
Ar460rn6 h, 9 m ago

Are you trying to use one of the four supported drives, as listed in the …Are you trying to use one of the four supported drives, as listed in the service manual for that laptop is here. 1-TB, 5400-rpm, SATA, 8-GB hybrid hard drive 762888-858 1-TB, 5400-rpm, SATA hard drive 924036-858 500-GB, 5400-rpm, SATA, 8-GB hybrid hard drive 683839-858 500-GB, 5400-rpm, SATA hard drive 731863-857 If you already have one of those and the sleeve, probably better to post on the HP suport forum where someonewith knowledge of the specific laptop can advise.Of course, it begs the question, why do you want a spinning drive in a convertible laptop? Spinning drives do not react well to being used on the move, so having an internal SATA drive means you can't really use the X360 in tablet mode. Why not just mount the drive in a USB 3 or 3.1 caddy for use when it is in laptop mode?

I'm using a standard 2.5" SATA HDD. The reason I want more storage is for photos and documents.
Is your HDD a 7mm or 9mm deep drive? The HP part is 7mm. If you look at HP partsurfer, that model drive is specific to X360 models, so may be a specific size for them and standard 2.5" drives may not fit. As I say, using a spinning drive in a tablet format device is very risky anyway.
Ar460rn12 h, 46 m ago

Is your HDD a 7mm or 9mm deep drive? The HP part is 7mm. If you look at HP …Is your HDD a 7mm or 9mm deep drive? The HP part is 7mm. If you look at HP partsurfer, that model drive is specific to X360 models, so may be a specific size for them and standard 2.5" drives may not fit. As I say, using a spinning drive in a tablet format device is very risky anyway.

its not the depth that's the issue, the space is deep enough its getting the drive and sata connector into the space and then connecting it to the motherboard.

it was told these parts would work on the hp forums

ebay.co.uk/itm…944

ebay.co.uk/itm…JG8

but they don't. The service manual suggests hp part number 924283-001 which refers to the rubber sleeve and makes no mention of any compatible sata cable
The first part is not right for that laptop. In the service guide you see the following diagram33743382-MGsxI.jpg
This suggests that the HP part numbers above include a mount that has the ribbon cable to connect to the connector on the board. A generic SATA HDD will not have that mount.
Not sure what else to suggest.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants