Expired

Adding subtitles to a movie on Mac - HELP!

Found 22nd Nov 2014
Hi everyone, quick tech question.

I have downloaded a couple of films, one being Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes, which require subtitles at certain parts.

As far as I was aware, using handbrake on my Macbook would allow me to input the subtitles as an external file and that would do it.

HOWEVER, when I'm adding the external subtitle track, it takes about a second before Handbrake finishes and when I go back to the film it has nothing but subs on a black screen!

I can't see where i'm going wrong, can someone help me?
Community Updates
AskAppleMovie
6 Comments
If you are watching then on your MAC then simply use VLC player and find the subtitle track and open it via VLC menu

If you are wanting to burn the movie? Then I used ConvertX2DVD that will burn the movie and also you can add your subtitles, title menus, chapters, trailers etc
Original Poster
krazyasif786

If you are watching then on your MAC then simply use VLC player and find … If you are watching then on your MAC then simply use VLC player and find the subtitle track and open it via VLC menuIf you are wanting to burn the movie? Then I used ConvertX2DVD that will burn the movie and also you can add your subtitles, title menus, chapters, trailers etc

Hi mate, cheers for replying.

I have iTunes (only so I can watch most through Apple TV) and QuickTime which also didn't work.

Never used VLC player before, is that a download? Would you recommend it? (I've seen it mentioned a hell of a lot like!)

Don't you ever use handbrake yourself?
Download VLC player for mac from here: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Steps that allow you to airplay VLC player to Apple TV is below. Taken from here: forums.macrumors.com/sho…php?t=1338558

1) Get AirParrot 1.3.2 (you could also get a cracked version I guess! )

2) Airparrot will put a icon in the top status bar in Lion usually (don't know about other operating systems)

3) Click on the icon under devices select your Apple TV.

4) Enable Audio (Important).

5) you entire Mac Screen must be visible on your TV now.

6) Open VLC Player on your MAC and do the usual movie watching, the only difference is video will come on both screens (your mac and TV) but audio will stream from your TV connected speaker system (probably your surround sound)

7) Thats it, you not only mirror your Mac but also your movies (any format, .MKV, Avi etc etc) all depending on the movie player software you are using at Mac.
Edited by: "krazyasif786" 22nd Nov 2014
To play subtitles ... start your video.

In VLC Player click on the top bar .... subtitles then click 'Add subtitles' and locate on your mac where the subtitle is. Once done it will play.

Alternatively, the way I do it to play subtitles automatically...

if you file you have is called

abc2014.mp4
and the subtitle you downloaded is called
abc2014subtitles.srt

rename the subtitle the same as your mp4 and add .eng before the srt

so the above example you would rename the subtitle as
abc2014.eng.srt

another example

thefinaldestination2014.avi
substitle downloaded is named as thefinaldestinationsubtitlesenglish2014.srt
rename subtitle file as
thefinaldestination2014.eng.srt

Then when you load the above avi file it will automatically load the subtitles

Then you can use the above guide from macrumours to airplay to your apple tv

Edited by: "krazyasif786" 22nd Nov 2014
Original Poster
krazyasif786

To play subtitles ... start your video.In VLC Player click on the top bar … To play subtitles ... start your video.In VLC Player click on the top bar .... subtitles then click 'Add subtitles' and locate on your mac where the subtitle is. Once done it will play.Alternatively, the way I do it to play subtitles automatically...if you file you have is called abc2014.mp4and the subtitle you downloaded is called abc2014subtitles.srtrename the subtitle the same as your mp4 and add .eng before the srtso the above example you would rename the subtitle asabc2014.eng.srtanother examplethefinaldestination2014.avisubstitle downloaded is named as thefinaldestinationsubtitlesenglish2014.srtrename subtitle file asthefinaldestination2014.eng.srtThen when you load the above avi file it will automatically load the subtitlesThen you can use the above guide from macrumours to airplay to your apple tv

WOW!

Okay, i'm gonna this a go tomorrow, i'll end up breaking something here X)
JusticeForThe96

WOW!Okay, i'm gonna this a go tomorrow, i'll end up breaking something … WOW!Okay, i'm gonna this a go tomorrow, i'll end up breaking something here X)

Oh and one thing I forgot to mention if you rename the subtitle then it needs to be in the same folder as the video file otherwise it won't play automatically.

Let us know how you get on especially if you manager to get airplay to work:)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants